This job posting is no longer active.
Location: Woburn, MA
Job ID: 167073-1A
Date Posted: Sep 13, 2022
Category: Clinical Professional
Welcome to Winchester Hospital, part of Beth Israel Lahey Health. Winchester Hospital was the first hospital in Massachusetts to earn Magnet recognition, the American Nurses Association’s highest honor for nursing excellence, three times. It has since received the recognition a fourth time. As the northwest suburban Boston area’s leading provider of comprehensive health care services, the 229-bed facility provides care in general, bariatric and vascular surgery, orthopedics, pediatrics, cardiology, pulmonary medicine, oncology, gastroenterology, rehabilitation, radiation oncology, pain management, obstetrics/gynecology and a Level IIB Special Care Nursery.
About the Job
JOB SUMMARY: Contributes to the Hospital’s mission by maintaining the integrity and promoting the growth of the Hospital’s Nutrition Counseling services by providing accurate and empathetic Medical Nutrition Therapy. This professional registered clinical staff position will have an impact on patient satisfaction and our ability to continuously improve quality and safety by providing the patient with the most current nutritional information as well as healthy food choices for their lifestyle with the ultimate goal of improving patient’s overall health.
Required: Bachelors of Science or Masters degree in Nutrition
Preferred: At least one year of experience as a Registered Dietitian.
· Knowledge of outpatient nutrition service trends
· Public speaking individual and group counseling skills
· Effective problem-solving skills
· Willing to be a role model for patients
· Expresses self effectively in all areas of written and verbal communication
· For safety and quality issues, must be able to read, write and communicate effectively in English with patients, visitors, and fellow members of the Hospital team
· Basic computer skills.
Required: Registered Dietitian by the Commission of Dietetic Registration or Registered
Dietitian-eligible and registered within 6 months of hire.
And licensed by Commonwealth of Massachusetts’ Board of Registration of
Dietitians and Nutritionists within 6 months of hire.
Preferred: Registered Dietitian upon hire.
LIFE SUPPORT CERTIFICATION REQUIRED: N/A
POPULATION SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS: Neonatal, Infant, Children, Adolescent, Adult, Geriatric
OTHER JOB REQUIREMENTS:
Professional Commitment Requirements: Keep abreast of developments in the field and/or licensure through continuing education, participation in professional organizations or a combination of both.
Schedule requirements: Schedule may fluctuate to accommodate patient needs
Travel requirements: N/A
· Reports to Clinical Nutrition Manager
· Not responsible for supervising the work of others
· May direct the work of and provide oversight for Nutrition program students
As part of the Food & Nutrition Service team, this position:
· Completes nutrition assessment and reassessment of patients according to department standards. Meets with patients to address patient’s individual needs and concerns and to develop strategies to achieve success. These include outpatient counseling within the Oncology Clinics and potentially other departments within Lahey Health system.
· Interprets risk factor profiles and conveys results to patients. Demonstrates versatility in presenting complex medical information in an understandable way. Maintains focus on impact of disease management, nutritional and behavioral change on overall health.
· Communicates regularly with medical and operational staff as well as other hospital departments to exchange patient information, promote a more consistently integrated program, and resolve operational problems in order to deliver quality and well coordinated patient care.
· Evaluates and monitors patient care plans for nutrition and behavior change. Works with patients long-term to reinforce lifestyle changes for disease prevention and weight management. Educates patients to optimize their nutritional outcomes.
· Demonstrates improved health outcomes as a result of Medical Nutrition Therapy.
· Schedules patient appointments, documents patients’ visits, and processes charges accurately and timely to optimize the program’s revenues.
· Manages wait-list, emergency and cancelled appointment time slots to accommodate patients and to optimize the program’s revenues.
· Coordinates timely submission of patient information to medical offices as needed.
· Manages office supplies and communicates office supply needs to Clinical Nutrition Manager.
· Participates in department’s review of budget and recommends/implements revenue enhancement and cost containment ideas.
· Coordinates timely submission of monthly data and community reports to Clinical Nutrition Manager. Works with outpatient nutrition team and Clinical Nutrition Manager to improve patient outcomes. Reviews data on outpatient nutrition clinics’ effectiveness at staff meetings and formulates and implements action plans for quality improvement and patient follow-up success.
· Develops and teaches nutrition education services and programs for patients, patient family members, or staff and the community as a part of our community outreach program. Develops agenda for group programs and adjusts content based on group’s needs.
· Develops and teaches nutrition education services and programs for patient support groups. Develops content for support group and adjusts content based on group’s needs.
· Promotes and markets Winchester Hospital’s nutrition counseling and group services. Participates in external and internal program marketing efforts. Accepts other assignments to increase program visibility (community speaking engagements, physician calls). Serves as spokesperson for the program and provides nutrition expertise to hospital staff, other health care providers and the community.
· Writes outpatient nutrition newsletter articles. Researches current trends and information. Collects and compiles best practices to create comprehensive and up to date educational materials
· Mentors and educates nutrition team on nutritional information and behavioral approaches to improve the patient’s experience and likelihood of success.
Beth Israel Lahey Health is an integrated system providing patients with better care wherever they are. Care informed by world-class research and education. We are doctors and nurses, technicians and social workers, innovators and educators, and so many others. All with a shared vision for what healthcare can and should be. We are committed to attracting, developing and retaining top talent. We strive to create a diverse and inclusive workplace that reflects the communities in which we work and serve. With a team approach to care, we encourage learning and growth at all levels and offer competitive salaries and benefits.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.