Welcome to Beth Israel Lahey Health. We are a new health care system that brings together academic medical centers and teaching hospitals, community and specialty hospitals, more than 4,000 physicians and 35,000 employees in a shared mission to expand access to great care and advance the science and practice of medicine through groundbreaking research and education.
About the Job
Reporting directly to the Deputy Compliance Officer for Beth Israel Lahey Health System, (AMC) Director, Compliance and Privacy is responsible for leading the Compliance Programs for Lahey Hospital and Medical Center (LHMC), its affiliated clinics and outpatient departments, and legacy Lahey Shared Services (LHSS). In addition, this leadership position supports BILH Compliance-related system initiatives, provides cross-functional coverage of issues and inquiries as needed, and participates on various system-related projects. The Director proactively assesses compliance risks for the organizations in conjunction with leadership and strives to develop risk mitigation strategies that support business operations with minimal disruption. Responsibilities include oversight of training, investigations, monitoring, metric reporting, applicable board content, and recommendations for program development, in addition to overall for achieving and sustaining effective compliance, ethics and integrity and privacy programs consistent with BILH Compliance goals.
- Works directly with BILH Compliance Leadership, including the Deputy Compliance Officer, to develop and maintain a compliance program designed to ensure compliance with applicable privacy standards and regulations such as HIPAA, HITECH, and various state laws; applicable government payor requirements such as Medicare and MassHealth; and other essential state/federal laws, rules and regulations.
- Plans, executes, and manages investigations, engaging other BILH Compliance subject matter experts and consulting with legal counsel as needed to effectively manage timely and thorough reviews; maintaining appropriate documentation, providing periodic updates to leadership, appraising stakeholders of potential risk, and invoking escalation protocols as appropriate.
- Works closely with the Deputy Compliance Officer, BILH senior leaders and the compliance leadership team, Legal Services and other stakeholders to identify and mitigate risk and potential areas of non-compliance, actively participates in annual risk assessment and other related initiatives.
- Leads the Compliance and Privacy Program for the AMC and other assigned entities, including establishing effective working relationships with entity leadership; chairing the AMC Compliance Committee; ensuring effective meetings, and participating in board (or delegated) oversight reporting.
- Responsible for effective program administration and ensuring that compliance programs are designed in a manner consistent with the Office of Inspector General's guidelines and other published materials concerning effective compliance programs, as well as BILH compliance objectives.
- Bachelor's degree in a related field (health care, business and law) required. Master's degree preferred.
- Professional license (e.g., Nursing, Law), as well as other professional compliance designation such as CHC, CIPP, etc.
- 8-10 years related work experience required in of healthcare compliance and privacy and 1-3 years supervisory/management experience required
- Five plus years of escalating responsibility and work-experience in the compliance and privacy field (healthcare, law, internal audit) including progressive program and project management roles in large and complex organizations. Previous compliance leadership role as hospital compliance officer.
- Extensive knowledge of pertinent compliance and privacy regulatory requirements and compliance program elements including OIG Compliance Guidelines, billing compliance principles, COI, OCR guidance and emerging HIPAA Privacy and Security requirements (among others) in a hospital setting and/or other setting relevant to service line assignments.
- Adept at Excel spreadsheet development and maintenance, EPIC EHR, Microsoft Office, G Suite and other compliance systems such as Navex, RL Solutions, ComplyTrack, COISmart, etc
- Advanced skills with Microsoft applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access and other web-based applications. May produce complex documents, perform analysis and maintain databases.
- Prior health care compliance and privacy experience in similar setting. Excellent research skills, verbal, and written communication skills.
Beth Israel Lahey Health is an integrated system providing patients with better care wherever they are. Care informed by world-class research and education. We are doctors and nurses, technicians and social workers, innovators and educators, and so many others. All with a shared vision for what healthcare can and should be. We are committed to attracting, developing and retaining top talent. We strive to create a diverse and inclusive workplace that reflects the communities in which we work and serve. With a team approach to care, we encourage learning and growth at all levels and offer competitive salaries and benefits.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.