Location: Winchester, MA
Job ID: 166590-1A
Date Posted: Mar 23, 2021
Category: Clinical Support
Welcome to Winchester Hospital, part of Beth Israel Lahey Health. Winchester Hospital was the first hospital in Massachusetts to earn Magnet recognition, the American Nurses Association’s highest honor for nursing excellence, three times. It has since received the recognition a fourth time. As the northwest suburban Boston area’s leading provider of comprehensive health care services, the 229-bed facility provides care in general, bariatric and vascular surgery, orthopedics, pediatrics, cardiology, pulmonary medicine, oncology, gastroenterology, rehabilitation, radiation oncology, pain management, obstetrics/gynecology and a Level IIB Special Care Nursery.
About the Job
JOB SUMMARY: Contributes to the Hospital’s mission by performing cardiac diagnostic procedures to include EKG (electrocardiogram) testing, Holter, Event, Blood Pressure monitor application for physician interpretation and prepping of cardiac stress patients. This position also provides clerical support and scheduling of all cardiac diagnostic testing for the Cardiology Department. This clinical /administrative staff position will have an impact on improving patient and physician satisfaction by providing the best possible experience for our patient as well as providing quality tests for physician review and accurately schedule and maintain the clinical work lists for both the technicians and Cardiologist.
Required: High School Diploma or G.E.D
Preferred: At least one year experience is similar position in patient care setting
· Basic computer skills
· For safety and quality reasons, must be able to read, write and communicate effectively in English with patients, visitors, and fellow members of the hospital team
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS, CERTIFICATIONS:
LIFE SUPPORT CERTIFICATION REQUIRED: N/A
POPULATION SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS: Neonate, Infants, Children, Adolescents, Adults, Geriatrics
OTHER JOB REQUIREMENTS:
Schedule requirements: Holiday and weekend rotation
Travel requirements: N/A
· Reports to the Cardiology Supervisor
· Not responsible for supervising the work of others
As part of the Cardiology team, the EKG Specialist
· Performs inpatient and outpatient EKG tests according to physician orders.
· Communicates and explains the procedure to patient and prepares patient by prepping skin for electrode placement.
· Review all ekgs in MUSE System for accuracy in quality and correct order number attached prior to assigning to MD’ reading work list for physician interpretation.
· Applies Holter, Events and Blood Pressure monitors to patient according to physician orders.
· Prep Stress Exercise patients for testing by attaching monitoring leads
· Cleans all testing equipment after each exam.
· Assesses the need for supplies, orders and delivers supplies to appropriate storage areas.
· Prepares patient charts for next day testing by accessing automated system and printing necessary patient information and forms.
· Greets patients and others timely and in a manner that is respectful and empathetic.
· Communicates to appropriate department/individuals when patient/visitor has arrived.
· Answers common, non-clinical/complex questions and escalates questions as appropriate. Provides general information regarding the Hospital.
· Directs individuals to their desired location, which may involve looking up information such as patient appointments and reviewing the computer system to assess the appropriate location. Provides verbal as well as written directions throughout the facility(ies)..
· Receives all incoming calls to department and follow thru the purpose of the call (i.e. make appointment, retrieve reports, answer specific questions on testing etc.)
· Schedule all cardiac tests in Epic
· Notify patients of cardiac testing appointment as well as PCP when requested.
· Send written instructions to all cardiac exercise test patients
· Maintain accurate cardiologist assignments in Epic
· Confirms patients scheduled appointments as needed
· Disseminates information to waiting patients and family members/friends as directed by clinical staff and/or as allowed by department procedures.
· Seeks direction from other clinical staff when appropriate.
· Answers patient, family members and other visitors’ questions about wait times and delays and the reason for delays without jeopardizing confidentiality.
· Is empathetic to patients and the families, being sensitive to their emotional, cultural and spiritual needs.
· Provides wheelchair assistance for patients as requested.
· Coordinates patient transportation requirements as needed. Provides assistance with the telephone as necessary. Maintains current listings for local taxis and other transportation services.
· Performs other administrative functions as needed to ensure the department runs smoothly, efficiently and seamlessly to the patients, which may include functions such as:
§ Referencing data from a database or computer system and documents and/or communicates as appropriate
§ Collecting specific information from patients and others
§ Sorting and distributing mail
§ Sorting and filing records and files
§ Scanning and faxing document
§ Coping and collating materials
· Provides non-clinical assistance to the staff to improve patient satisfaction, increase patient flow and improve the overall operations of the department.
Neonates, infants and pediatrics:
· Informs and involves the family throughout the process
· It is anticipated that employee will have contact with potentially hazardous chemicals while performing their job duties.
· It is anticipated that the employee will have contact with blood, bodily fluids or other potentially infectious materials while performing their job duties.
Beth Israel Lahey Health is an integrated system providing patients with better care wherever they are. Care informed by world-class research and education. We are doctors and nurses, technicians and social workers, innovators and educators, and so many others. All with a shared vision for what healthcare can and should be. We are committed to attracting, developing and retaining top talent. We strive to create a diverse and inclusive workplace that reflects the communities in which we work and serve. With a team approach to care, we encourage learning and growth at all levels and offer competitive salaries and benefits.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.