Location: Winchester, MA
Job ID: 166428-1A
Date Posted: Mar 8, 2021
Category: Clinical Support
Welcome to Winchester Hospital, part of Beth Israel Lahey Health. Winchester Hospital was the first hospital in Massachusetts to earn Magnet recognition, the American Nurses Association’s highest honor for nursing excellence, three times. It has since received the recognition a fourth time. As the northwest suburban Boston area’s leading provider of comprehensive health care services, the 229-bed facility provides care in general, bariatric and vascular surgery, orthopedics, pediatrics, cardiology, pulmonary medicine, oncology, gastroenterology, rehabilitation, radiation oncology, pain management, obstetrics/gynecology and a Level IIB Special Care Nursery.
About the Job
JOB SUMMARY: Contributes to the Hospital’s mission by being an integral part of the surgical services team assisting the anesthesiologist or certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist during surgical procedures and with the patient and anesthesia equipment and supplies pre and post surgery. This non-licensed clinical staff position has an impact on patient care and physician satisfaction and the overall effectiveness of the surgical services team by anticipating the perioperative team’s needs.
Required: High School Diploma or equivalent
· At least one year work experience in a direct patient care capacity or in central materials services sterilizing equipment
· Experience in a clinical position in an operating room environment
Required: Basic computer skills
Preferred: Knowledge of steam sterilization, inventory management and budget preparation
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS, CERTIFICATIONS:
LIFE SUPPORT CERTIFICATION REQUIRED: Basic Life Support
POPULATION SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS: Infant, Children, Adolescent, Adult, Geriatric
OTHER JOB REQUIREMENTS:
On-call: Based on department needs
Schedule requirements: May be required to stay beyond shift based on patient and/or department needs
Travel requirements: N/A
· Reports to the Nurse Manager
· Not responsible for supervising the work of others
As part of the Patient Care Services – Surgical Services team and under the direction of a Registered Nurse, a Certified RN Anesthetist and/or Anesthesiologist, the Anesthesia Technician:
· Prepares operating room for surgical procedures, as directed, by obtaining, arranging and setting up supplies and equipment to be utilized by anesthesia during surgical procedures. Ensures required supplies, medications, instruments and equipment are available and sterile for use in case.
· Opens sterile supplies according to aseptic technique.
· Dons appropriate surgical attire according to organization’s policy.
· Minimizes preventable harm events and consistently executes the infection control protocols.
· Incorporates the Culture of Safety tools in daily practice, adhering to quality and safety guidelines and communicating near-miss or potential risks. Utilizes performance improvement methodologies.
· Assists, anticipates, plans for and respond to the needs of the patient and perioperative team.
· Removes used anesthesia equipment and accessories (such as breathing tubes, masks and bags) from Operating Room after surgery and discards used supplies based on environmental and infection control guidelines.
· Utilizes high level disinfection and sterilization techniques properly.
· Maintains appropriate levels of anesthesia supplies and equipment, reorders items, medications, and addresses inventory issues including recommending par level adjustments.
· Inspects anesthesia equipment and reports any broken, damaged or worn equipment promptly.
· Maintains department logs and records.
· Assists in containing costs on materials used by the department.
· Appropriately follows the chain of command and adheres to hospital policies and procedures.
· Communicates effectively with the healthcare team utilizing established handoff and patient identification procedures. Gives and accepts respectful feedback to enhance teamwork.
· Functions effectively in patient crisis situations and utilizes emergency resources.
· Maintains a clean and safe work environment to enhance patient satisfaction and a culture of safety.
· Coordinates work schedule with departmental supervisor to provide coverage.
· Moving patients and transferring patients to and from stretchers and beds.
· Assist the anesthesia team by positioning the patient and retracting tissue and other bodily parts as directed.
· Assists with safe medication practices under the supervision and delegation of the anesthesia department staff.
· May assist the post anesthesia care unit with patient care issues related to anesthesia.
Beth Israel Lahey Health is an integrated system providing patients with better care wherever they are. Care informed by world-class research and education. We are doctors and nurses, technicians and social workers, innovators and educators, and so many others. All with a shared vision for what healthcare can and should be. We are committed to attracting, developing and retaining top talent. We strive to create a diverse and inclusive workplace that reflects the communities in which we work and serve. With a team approach to care, we encourage learning and growth at all levels and offer competitive salaries and benefits.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.