Location: Woburn, MA
Job ID: 166361-1A
Date Posted: May 6, 2021
Welcome to Winchester Hospital, part of Beth Israel Lahey Health. Winchester Hospital was the first hospital in Massachusetts to earn Magnet recognition, the American Nurses Association’s highest honor for nursing excellence, three times. It has since received the recognition a fourth time. As the northwest suburban Boston area’s leading provider of comprehensive health care services, the 229-bed facility provides care in general, bariatric and vascular surgery, orthopedics, pediatrics, cardiology, pulmonary medicine, oncology, gastroenterology, rehabilitation, radiation oncology, pain management, obstetrics/gynecology and a Level IIB Special Care Nursery.
About the Job
Contributes to the Hospital’s mission by providing the clerical support associated with lab specimen processing. This clerical support position will have an impact on laboratory efficiency, physician/clinician satisfaction and ultimately patient satisfaction by recording receipt of specimens accurately and efficiently and following through on lab results in a timely manner.
Required: High School Diploma or equivalent
Preferred: At least one year of medical laboratory, clerical or secretarial experience.
Required: For safety and quality reasons, must be able to read, write and communicate effectively in English with patients, visitors and fellow members of the hospital team.
LIFE SUPPORT CERTIFICATION REQUIRED: N/A
POPULATION SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS: N/A
OTHER JOB REQUIREMENTS:
Schedule requirements: Required to rotate holidays or weekends coverage.
Travel requirements: Position is expected to rotate between the core lab and the hospital locations.
· Reports to the Processing Coordinator.
· Not responsible for supervising the work of others.
As part of the Laboratory team, this position:
· Receives specimens from multiple locations, data inputs accurate documentation of the patient and the required lab test order.
o Verifies appropriate specimen accompanies test requisition.
o Verifies that the specimen is properly labeled with two patient identifiers, date and time of collection, initials of person obtaining the sample
o Attach printed labels to specimens from physician offices if necessary
· Completes the order, producing labels and essential documentation.
· Verifies insurance information and follows through with Hospital registration and/or physician practices to ensure appropriate and efficient billing.
o Investigate test requisitions with missing information from physician office or off-sites
o Issues ABN form to patients when tests do not meet medical necessity
· Release medical information to patients when requested
· Delivers specimens in batches or stat requests individually to the appropriate lab departments and packs up deliveries intended for the off-site laboratory departments.
· Contacts clinicians with results based on their specified preferences either over the phone or via fax.
· Answers the phone in a professional manner, answering questions about lab results and researches test status when necessary.
· Runs reports and addresses the data by providing results, checking on outstanding tests, and other follow through required to improve lab efficiency and physician/clinician satisfaction.
DEPARTMENT SPECIFIC FUNCTIONS:
Hospital and FMC:
o Registers ambulatory patients, enters physician orders and prints labels for specimens.
FT 6:30 am - 3 pm, every 4th weekend. Processing
Evenings 2:30 - 11, 1 weekend per month. hospital and core lab rotation
Beth Israel Lahey Health is an integrated system providing patients with better care wherever they are. Care informed by world-class research and education. We are doctors and nurses, technicians and social workers, innovators and educators, and so many others. All with a shared vision for what healthcare can and should be. We are committed to attracting, developing and retaining top talent. We strive to create a diverse and inclusive workplace that reflects the communities in which we work and serve. With a team approach to care, we encourage learning and growth at all levels and offer competitive salaries and benefits.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.