Welcome to Lahey Hospital & Medical Center, part of Beth Israel Lahey Health. Lahey Hospital & Medical Center is a world-renowned tertiary medical center known for its innovative technology, pioneering medical treatment and leading-edge research. A teaching hospital of Tufts University School of Medicine, the hospital provides quality health care in virtually every specialty and subspecialty, from primary care to cancer diagnosis and treatment to kidney and liver transplantation. It is a national leader in a number of health care areas, including stroke, weight management and lung screenings, among many others. Lahey also helps to advance medicine through research and the education of tomorrow's health care leaders.
About the Job
Position Summary: Under the supervision of the Chief Anesthesia Technician, assists the Anesthesiologists’ and CRNAs’ with technical preparation for inducing anesthesia, intubation, and airway management. Prepares and maintains supplies and equipment used for administration of anesthesia and other related procedures
Essential Duties & Responsibilities including but not limited to:
- Sets-up operating room with required equipment and supplies according to the type of cases and ages of the patients. Consults with Anesthesiologist or CRNA for specific setup needs as necessary or requested.. Locations include but not limited to Operating Rooms, Radiology, Litho, EP, Radiation Therapy and Endoscopy.
- Prepares care for the patient by the following:
- Assists anesthesiologists with line placements including central lines, following sterile technique. Calibrates equipment as required i.e. Transducers and SVO2 Catheters.
- Assists Anesthesiologists and CRNAs with airway management, including set up for airway care, set up of fiberoptic scope, set up of atomizer and topical solutions for awake intubation, assists with cricoid pressure during rapid sequence.
- Tests, sets-up, maintains sterile technique and processes autologous blood products for re-infusion. Package, label and report to Anesthesiologist the volume, estimated blood loss (EBL) and returned processed unit volume.
- Set up and prepare Anesthesia machines for latex and malignant hyperthermia cases.
- Assists Anesthesiologist by the following:
- Sets up IV solutions, equipment, cardiac monitors and anesthesia machines. Changes tanks on machines and soda line canisters as needed.
- Responsible for cleaning anesthesia machines as well as other anesthesia equipment, after each case. Removes any empty or unused vials, syringes, or medication bags (Exception: Federal DEA Schedule V and higher medications) and disposes them in appropriate receptacles after each case.
- Takes appropriate used equipment parts to C.S.S. for processing and sterilization.
- Follows established protocols and uses proper sterile technique in the procedure room environment.
- Orders tanks of gases or other anesthesia supplies as necessary, brings low stock items to the supervisors attention.
- Supplies and exchanges vaporizers as requested by the Anesthesiologist or CRNA.
- Maintain appropriately stocked red carts prior to OR entry.
- Organizational Requirements:
- Maintains strict adherence to the Lahey Clinic Confidentiality Policy.
- Incorporates Lahey Clinic Guiding Principles , Mission Statement and Goals into daily activities.
- Complies with all Lahey Clinic Policies. Complies with behavioral expectations of the department and Lahey Clinic.
- Maintains courteous and effective interactions with colleagues and patients.
- Demonstrates an understanding of the job description, performance expectations, and competency assessment.
- Demonstrates a commitment toward meeting and exceeding the needs of our customers and consistently adheres to Customer Service standards.
- Participates in departmental and/or interdepartmental quality improvement activities.
- Participates in and successfully completes Mandatory Education.
- Performs all other duties as needed or directed to meet the needs of the department.
Education: High school diploma or equivalent.
Licensure, Certification, Registration: None
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities:
- Ability to prepare and set up equipment for Anesthesia procedures.
- Ability to maintain sterile fields, Clean and disinfect anesthesia instruments and equipment.
- Ability to perform technical duties in complex clinical situations
- Knowledge of medical terminology
- Ability to use anesthesia equipment and related supplies
- Knowledge of basic patient care.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and responsibilities
- Ability to set-up, operate and troubleshoot anesthesia delivery systems,
- Monitors, and ancillary devices.
- Ability to assists Anesthesiologist with monitoring, induction, and intubation of patients.
Experience: One year of experience in a patient care environment.
Sat., Sun. 7A-7P
Mon., Tues., 7A- 3:30PM
Off Wed. & Thursday & Friday
Hours during training will be 6:00AM - 2:30PM. Training will take up to 1 year.
On Call Required
Must be ready to work within a half hour from the initial call.
Beth Israel Lahey Health is an integrated system providing patients with better care wherever they are. Care informed by world-class research and education. We are doctors and nurses, technicians and social workers, innovators and educators, and so many others. All with a shared vision for what healthcare can and should be. We are committed to attracting, developing and retaining top talent. We strive to create a diverse and inclusive workplace that reflects the communities in which we work and serve. With a team approach to care, we encourage learning and growth at all levels and offer competitive salaries and benefits.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.