Location: Winchester, MA
Job ID: 165779-1A
Date Posted: Mar 29, 2021
Welcome to Winchester Hospital, part of Beth Israel Lahey Health. Winchester Hospital was the first hospital in Massachusetts to earn Magnet recognition, the American Nurses Association’s highest honor for nursing excellence, three times. It has since received the recognition a fourth time. As the northwest suburban Boston area’s leading provider of comprehensive health care services, the 229-bed facility provides care in general, bariatric and vascular surgery, orthopedics, pediatrics, cardiology, pulmonary medicine, oncology, gastroenterology, rehabilitation, radiation oncology, pain management, obstetrics/gynecology and a Level IIB Special Care Nursery.
About the Job
GENERAL SUMMARY: According to established policies and procedures, and in collaboration with the Employee Health Manager and physician, provides occupational health care services to employees.
As part of the Winchester Hospital team, this position:
1. Conducts initial post-offer/pre-placement physical assessment, including review of immunization status, and provides required testing or immunizations as needed. Follows up on any unusual findings with appropriate education, counseling, referrals, or work restrictions. Promotes health and safety of employees through health promotion and education.
2. Evaluates condition and/or documentation of employee back-to-work clearance after illness or injury and approves return or recommends further medical evaluation or extension of leave as medical provider or circumstances require. Works with employee’s supervisor to ensure that employee needing work restrictions or limited duty is able to safely return to work, if possible.
3. Assists in immunization and Tuberculosis testing programs per Winchester Hospital Infection Control Policy, Massachusetts Department of Public Health, Center for Disease Control guidelines and Occupational Safety and Health Administration regulations.
4. Assists Manager of Employee Health and Infection Control Specialist in follow up of employee exposures to blood borne pathogens, tuberculosis and other infectious diseases per Winchester Hospital Infection Control Policy, Massachusetts Department of Public Health, Center for Disease Control guidelines and Occupational Safety and Health Administration regulations.
5. Maintains accurate and current employee health related records and daily treatment log, as required by Winchester Hospital, Federal and State regulations.
6. Assists Manager of Employee Health Services and Infection Control Specialist in development and revision of guidelines, policies and procedures related to the Employee Health Service.
7. Assists Manager of Employee Health with workers' compensation program, has knowledge of Winchester Hospital policy regarding program. In absence of manager, files appropriate claims reports and works as liaison with physician and insurance carrier to provide for appropriate care and return to work of injured employee.
8. Assumes responsibility for professional development and continuing education to maintain knowledge of current trends and regulations in Employee Health and Occupational Health Nursing. Collaborates with employees, supervisors, other health care providers, and professionals in assessing, planning, implementing, and evaluating care and occupational health services.
9. Participates in the following:
a. Mandatory training requirements as per hospital/unit policies
Continuing education/inservices to enhance knowledge
Performance improvement initiatives
Orientation of new staff, students and/or volunteers
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
1. Diploma, Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree in Nursing. Bachelor’s degree in Nursing preferred.
2. At least three years work experience as a medical or surgical staff nurse.
3. Certified Occupational Health Nurse preferred.
LICENSE, CERTIFICATION REQUIRED: Massachusetts Registered Nurse license. Certification as an Occupational Health Nurse preferred
LIFE SUPPORT CERTIFICATION REQUIRED: Basic Life Support
AGE SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS: Not Applicable
PHYSICAL, MENTAL AND VISUAL REQUIREMENTS:
1. Ability to communicate orally, alphabetize and collate.
2. Ability to proofread and check documents for accuracy.
3. Ability to enter words and data into computer.
4. Ability to occasionally lift heavy boxes and position patients.
5. Ability to give injections.
OSHA EXPOSURE: Job involves possible exposure to blood, body fluids or tissues.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP AND SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY:
1. Reports to Manager of Employee Health Services.
2. Not responsible for supervising the work of others.
Beth Israel Lahey Health is an integrated system providing patients with better care wherever they are. Care informed by world-class research and education. We are doctors and nurses, technicians and social workers, innovators and educators, and so many others. All with a shared vision for what healthcare can and should be. We are committed to attracting, developing and retaining top talent. We strive to create a diverse and inclusive workplace that reflects the communities in which we work and serve. With a team approach to care, we encourage learning and growth at all levels and offer competitive salaries and benefits.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.