Welcome to Lahey Hospital & Medical Center, part of Beth Israel Lahey Health. Lahey Hospital & Medical Center is a world-renowned tertiary medical center known for its innovative technology, pioneering medical treatment and leading-edge research. A teaching hospital of Tufts University School of Medicine, the hospital provides quality health care in virtually every specialty and subspecialty, from primary care to cancer diagnosis and treatment to kidney and liver transplantation. It is a national leader in a number of health care areas, including stroke, weight management and lung screenings, among many others. Lahey also helps to advance medicine through research and the education of tomorrow's health care leaders.
About the Job
Under general supervision, is responsible for providing support and assistance in all aspects of operation for the animal research program and simulation training programs.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities including but not limited to:
- Performs animal husbandry functions under the supervision of the Sr. Animal Technician, including direct care of animals, feeding bathing, cleaning animal living spaces, etc.
- Maintains appropriate physical environment for animals (ie: temperature, space, lighting, ventilation, noise control)
- Maintains accurate animal record keeping per USDA regulation and Lahey Clinic policy / procedure
- Orders and tracks the delivery of animals and maintains appropriate documentation.
- Assist with peri-operative care under the direct supervision of the Sr Animal Technician
- Assist during operative procedures under the direct supervision of the Sr. Animal Technician and principal investigator (includes: maintaining operative notes, anesthesia charting, medication charting, temperature recordings)
- Performs post-operative care under the supervision of Sr. Animal Technician as prescribed,
- Assists with euthanasia, necropsy and with disposal of euthanized animals when required.
- Maintain supply inventory
- Operates and maintains program equipment (ie: wet vac, freezers, suction apparatus, clippers, thermometers)
- Maintains surgical instruments (ie: wash, lubricate, wrap for sterilization)
- Under the supervision of the Sr. Animal Technician, assist with preparation for simulation training courses (i.e: set up equipment/instrumentation, prepare cadaver for course)
- Maintains state of readiness for tower simulation trainers.
- Prepare skills training laboratories (ie: set up of skills trainers, appropriate equipments/instruments/ preparation of appropriate tissue)
- Assists with clean up following cadaver training courses (ie: prepare specimens for freezing, shipping or another course; washing instruments, clean up of OR)
- Incorporates Lahey Clinic Guiding Principles , Mission Statement and Goals into daily activities.
- Complies with all Lahey Clinic Policies.
- Complies with behavioral expectations of the department and Lahey Clinic.
- Maintains courteous and effective interactions with colleagues and patients.
- Demonstrates an understanding of the job description, performance expectations, and competency assessment.
- Demonstrates a commitment toward meeting and exceeding the needs of our customers and consistently adheres to Customer Service standards.
- Participates in departmental and/or interdepartmental quality improvement activities.
- Participates in and successfully completes Mandatory Education.
- Performs all other duties as needed or directed to meet the needs of the department.
Education: High School degree or equivalent
Licensure, Certification, Registration: N/A
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities: Requires excellent organizational and communication skills, ability to interact with professional staff. Computer skills, word, excel required. Ability to learn USDA regulations for the Care and Use of Animals.
Experience: Minimum 6 months of previous laboratory or laboratory related experience
Shift: Per Diem
Beth Israel Lahey Health is an integrated system providing patients with better care wherever they are. Care informed by world-class research and education. We are doctors and nurses, technicians and social workers, innovators and educators, and so many others. All with a shared vision for what healthcare can and should be. We are committed to attracting, developing and retaining top talent. We strive to create a diverse and inclusive workplace that reflects the communities in which we work and serve. With a team approach to care, we encourage learning and growth at all levels and offer competitive salaries and benefits.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.