Location: Winchester, MA
Job ID: 165502-1A
Date Posted: Jan 14, 2021
Category: Clinical Professional
Welcome to Winchester Hospital, part of Beth Israel Lahey Health. Winchester Hospital was the first hospital in Massachusetts to earn Magnet recognition, the American Nurses Association’s highest honor for nursing excellence, three times. It has since received the recognition a fourth time. As the northwest suburban Boston area’s leading provider of comprehensive health care services, the 229-bed facility provides care in general, bariatric and vascular surgery, orthopedics, pediatrics, cardiology, pulmonary medicine, oncology, gastroenterology, rehabilitation, radiation oncology, pain management, obstetrics/gynecology and a Level IIB Special Care Nursery.
About the Job
JOB SUMMARY: Contributes to the Hospital’s mission by planning, preparing and carrying out comprehensive individualized programs of treatment to achieve desired outcomes. This clinical staff professional will have an impact on improving patient care and patient satisfaction by skillfully treating patients with a variety of hand diagnosis in an empathetic and encouraging manner.
Required: Bachelors degree
Preferred: Masters degree from an accredited program
Required: Clinical experience in an outpatient setting
Pediatric: At least one year of experience as an Occupational Therapist in an outpatient setting
Hand: At least one year prior rehabilitation experience as an occupational hand therapist
· Clinical experience in the kinds of OT issues required for the patients Winchester Hospital serves for the specialty being hired.
· Good writing skills and basic computer skills for report writing.
· For safety and quality reasons, must be able to read, write and communicate effectively in English with patients, visitors and fellow members of the hospital team
· Principles of occupational therapy theory such as neuromuscular development, sensory integration, growth and development, fine and gross motor coordination.
Preferred: Community outreach experience.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS, CERTIFICATIONS:
Required: Valid State of Massachusetts Occupational Therapy License
Hand: Certified Hand Therapist
LIFE SUPPORT CERTIFICATION REQUIRED: N/A
POPULATION SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS:
Hand: Adolescents, Adults, Geriatrics
Pediatric: Infant, Children, Adolescent
OTHER JOB REQUIREMENTS:
Professional Commitment Requirements: Keep abreast of developments in the field and/or licensure through continuing education, participation in professional organizations or a combination of both
Hand: Full-time staff are expected to be available for patient appointments during prime time hours, i.e. 3:00 p.m. or later. At least 13 prime time hours per week is expected
Travel requirements: N/A
· Reports to the Clinical Director of Outpatient Physical & Occupational Therapy
· Not responsible for supervising the work of others.
· May direct and provide oversight of Occupational Therapy students
As part of the Rehabilitative Services team, this position:
· Performs and documents an initial examination, evaluating the data to identify problems to determine a working diagnosis prior to intervention.
· Plans, prepares and carries out individually designed programs of treatment to improve or restore function, alleviate pain and enhance patient outcomes.
· Fabricates appropriate splints and be able to modify as necessary.
· Re-evaluates effects of treatment on continually to adjust treatments to achieve maximum benefit.
· Communicates with patients, patient’s family members as necessary and medical practitioners regarding outcomes and expectations during the course of patient care.
· Records prognosis, treatment, response and progress in patients medical record and provide referral source with proper updates and discharge reports.
· Communicates clearly to physicians, allied health professionals, community affairs as well as patients and their families.
· Participates in staff meetings and performance improvement initiatives.
· Participates in community activities to enhance awareness of Winchester Hospital Rehab services.
· Maintains a clean and safe work environment to enhance patient satisfaction and a culture of safety.
· Responds to supply/equipment issues in a timely manner to ensure availability of equipment and to maximize its useful life.
· May act as clinical instructor of Occupational Therapy student:
· Orients and oversees Occupational Therapy students, ensuring safe and accurate treatments according to AOTA standards. Provides on-going performance feedback and education to the students to build on their classroom education and mentor them towards successful completion of the practicum.
· Maintains required paperwork and records of the program and each student in accordance with college standards.
· Share performance feedback on students as appropriate.
· Builds and maintains a collaborative relationship with the local college(s) so the college(s), Winchester Hospital and the students gain the best possible results from the clinical experience.
Beth Israel Lahey Health is an integrated system providing patients with better care wherever they are. Care informed by world-class research and education. We are doctors and nurses, technicians and social workers, innovators and educators, and so many others. All with a shared vision for what healthcare can and should be. We are committed to attracting, developing and retaining top talent. We strive to create a diverse and inclusive workplace that reflects the communities in which we work and serve. With a team approach to care, we encourage learning and growth at all levels and offer competitive salaries and benefits.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.