Welcome to Lahey Hospital & Medical Center, part of Beth Israel Lahey Health. Lahey Hospital & Medical Center is a world-renowned tertiary medical center known for its innovative technology, pioneering medical treatment and leading-edge research. A teaching hospital of Tufts University School of Medicine, the hospital provides quality health care in virtually every specialty and subspecialty, from primary care to cancer diagnosis and treatment to kidney and liver transplantation. It is a national leader in a number of health care areas, including stroke, weight management and lung screenings, among many others. Lahey also helps to advance medicine through research and the education of tomorrow's health care leaders.
About the Job
Position Summary: The ICP is responsible for the implementation and review of the health care facility’s infection prevention and control program. Under general supervision, the ICP is responsible for the prevention, investigation, monitoring and reporting of infections. The ICP uses evidence-based recommendations to recommend, implement and monitor best practices for preventing infections in patients, families, colleagues and others who enter the health care facility.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities including but not limited to:
- Collects, analyzes and interprets data on hospital-acquired infections;
- Reports data and analysis to appropriate departments and committees, e.g. senior leadership, appropriate managers, Infection Prevention and Control Committee, Zero Harm Committee and Quality and Safety Committee.
- Conducts ongoing review and development of policies.and procedures and relevant guidelines related to IP&C
- Conducts surveillance of infections.
Complies with all requirements of mandatory reporting to the state and Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) through the National Health and Safety Network (NHSN),
Ensures compliance with regulations and requirements from CMS, The Joint Commission, and other accrediting health care organizations and state regulations.
- Provides education and training related to infection prevention and control to colleagues and others, independent practitioners.
- Provides educational materials regarding prevention of various types of infections and prevention strategies for patients and their families.
- Initiates and conducts outbreak investigations.
- Collaborates with other hospital departments and services, e.g. Nursing, Environmental Services, Maintenance and Engineering. Food Services, Procedural areas, Surgical Services and others, to identify risks for infection and implement policies and procedures, action and corrective action plans as needed.
- Collaborates with Employee Health Services regarding relevant issues including follow-up of potential and confirmed exposures, sharps safety, Respiratory Protection Program, Colleague Influenza vaccination program, and other activities related to Employee Health
- Coordinates the annual infection control risk assessment in conjunction with the Infection Prevention and Control Committee.(IP&CC)
- Develops and implements the annual infection prevention and control planning conjunction with the IP&CC.
- Evaluates the annual plan for goal achievement in conjunction with the IP&CC.
- Coordinates the agenda and materials for the Infection Prevention and Control Committee Meeting.
- Works in cooperation with local and state health departments to investigate and communicate and report relevant infectious conditions.
- Responds to problem, inquiries and communications related to infection prevention and control in a timely manner.
- Serves as an infectious disease consultant for both healthcare providers and members of the community.
- Reviews and approves Infection Control Risk Assessments (ICRA) for healthcare construction projects.
- Organizational Requirements:
- Maintains strict adherence to the Lahey Hospital and Medical Center (LHMC) Confidentiality Policy.
- Incorporates LHMC Guiding Principles, Mission Statement and Goals into daily activities.
- Complies with all LHMC policies. Complies with behavioral expectations of the department and LHMC.
- Maintains courteous and effective interactions with colleagues and patients.
- Demonstrates an understanding of the job description, performance expectations, and competency assessment.
- Demonstrates a commitment toward meeting and exceeding the needs of our customers and consistently adheres to Customer Service standards.
- Participates in departmental and/or interdepartmental quality improvement activities.
- Participates in and successfully completes Mandatory Education.
- Performs all other duties as needed or directed to meet the needs of the department.
Education: Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing or a Bachelor’s Degree in Medical Technology
Licensure, Certification, Registration: Current license to practice as a Registered Nurse in Commonwealth of Massachusetts or a Bachelor’s Degree in Medical Technology, biological science, or related area, or equivalency; ASCP registration is required for Medical Technology. Certification in Infection Control (CIC) from the Certification Board of Infection Control required or achieved within one year in the position.
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities:
- Display proficiency in computer and software skills,
- Uses information management systems for data entry and retrieval, data collection and organization, data analysis and interpretation
Experience: .Three years of experience in hospital infection control.
Beth Israel Lahey Health is an integrated system providing patients with better care wherever they are. Care informed by world-class research and education. We are doctors and nurses, technicians and social workers, innovators and educators, and so many others. All with a shared vision for what healthcare can and should be. We are committed to attracting, developing and retaining top talent. We strive to create a diverse and inclusive workplace that reflects the communities in which we work and serve. With a team approach to care, we encourage learning and growth at all levels and offer competitive salaries and benefits.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.