Welcome to Lahey Hospital & Medical Center, part of Beth Israel Lahey Health. Lahey Hospital & Medical Center is a world-renowned tertiary medical center known for its innovative technology, pioneering medical treatment and leading-edge research. A teaching hospital of Tufts University School of Medicine, the hospital provides quality health care in virtually every specialty and subspecialty, from primary care to cancer diagnosis and treatment to kidney and liver transplantation. It is a national leader in a number of health care areas, including stroke, weight management and lung screenings, among many others. Lahey also helps to advance medicine through research and the education of tomorrow's health care leaders.
About the Job
Essential Duties & Responsibilities including but not limited to:
- General Medical Office Functions:
- Maintains physician and midlevel clinic schedules on a daily/weekly/monthly basis.
- Processes and monitors Provider time away and ensures that the information is captured in all required systems.
- Answers a high volume of telephone calls in a professional manner and takes responsibility for appropriate dispositions and follow through on all phone calls. Accurately identifies those patients requiring immediate attention and relays this information to the appropriate personnel.
- Utilizes Lahey Health electronic systems in order to record thorough, and complete phone messages.
- Electronically facilitates patient prescriptions including new, refills, faxes, and prescription preauthorization’s.
- Uses electronic systems to enter provider orders and retrieve test results.
- Facilitates collection of outside medical records and x rays for Lahey patients and indexes paperwork for scanning process.
- Processes forms required for insurance approvals for scheduled procedures, office visits, or tests.
- Transcribes a variety of documents including correspondence, memos, and department/staff meeting minutes. Proofreads all documents for accuracy and completeness.
- In surgical departments uses electronic OR scheduling systems to view and print schedules. Monitors and track physician progress electronically.
- Maintains provider correspondence, reports, and statistics.
- Makes physician travel arrangements as needed.
- Maintains physician curriculum vitae, bibliography and Continuing Medical Education (CME).
- Screens, sorts and distributes mail.
- Operates office equipment including (but not limited to) a personal computer, Internet, voice mail, e-mail, paging systems, copy machine, transcription equipment and fax.
- Assists in establishing a new physician’s practice, ordering business cards, office supplies etc.
- Works with provider and/or other care provider to provide access to patients and facilitate “work in” appointments as required.
- Schedules patients for tests and consultations as directed by the provider or other care provider.
- Communicates information to patients regarding requirements for appointments and test preparation, as needed.
- Uses clinic-wide scheduling system for updating demographic and insurance information to ensure timely and accurate billing.
- Processes any physician or other care provider ‘bump lists’, according to protocol ensuring all patients are provided and notified of the new appointment.
3) Organizational Requirements:
- Maintains strict adherence to the Lahey Clinic Confidentiality Policy.
- Incorporates Lahey Clinic Guiding Principles, Mission Statement and Goals into daily activities.
- Complies with all Lahey Clinic Policies.
- Complies with behavioral expectations of the department and Lahey Clinic.
- Maintains courteous and effective interactions with colleagues and patients.
- Demonstrates an understanding of the job description, performance expectations, and competency assessment.
- Demonstrates a commitment toward meeting and exceeding the needs of our customers and consistently adheres to Customer Service standards.
- Participates in departmental and/or interdepartmental quality improvement activities.
- Participates in and successfully completes Mandatory Education.
- Performs all other duties as needed or directed to meet the needs of the department.
Education: High school diploma or equivalent.
Licensure, Certification, Registration: None required.
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities:
Knowledge of Medical terminology.
Proficient in standard office procedures and operation of business machines, (personal computer, fax, telephone, dictaphone, others as appropriate).
Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills; organizational skills and attention to detail.
Experience: 1 year related office and/or medical office experience.
Beth Israel Lahey Health is an integrated system providing patients with better care wherever they are. Care informed by world-class research and education. We are doctors and nurses, technicians and social workers, innovators and educators, and so many others. All with a shared vision for what healthcare can and should be. We are committed to attracting, developing and retaining top talent. We strive to create a diverse and inclusive workplace that reflects the communities in which we work and serve. With a team approach to care, we encourage learning and growth at all levels and offer competitive salaries and benefits.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.