Welcome to Lahey Hospital & Medical Center, part of Beth Israel Lahey Health. Lahey Hospital & Medical Center is a world-renowned tertiary medical center known for its innovative technology, pioneering medical treatment and leading-edge research. A teaching hospital of Tufts University School of Medicine, the hospital provides quality health care in virtually every specialty and subspecialty, from primary care to cancer diagnosis and treatment to kidney and liver transplantation. It is a national leader in a number of health care areas, including stroke, weight management and lung screenings, among many others. Lahey also helps to advance medicine through research and the education of tomorrow's health care leaders.
About the Job
Position Summary: Under the supervision of the Director, Rehabilitation Services and Lead Physical Therapists the Physical Therapy Aide is responsible for general maintenance and organization of the Physical Therapy Department. The Physical Therapy Aide will assist therapists in patient treatments as requested.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities including but not limited to:
- Performs general maintenance and organization of the Physical Therapy Department.
- Organizes schedules and distribute charts for all therapists.
- Maintains linen stock and supplies in all treatment areas.
- Maintains and orders supplies for physical therapy department.
- Performs hydrocollator and cold pack machine maintenance/cleaning.
- Cleans treatment areas throughout the day, sets up each area for the next patient treatment.
- Performs general department cleaning tasks .
- Separates and sorts mail.
- Maintains stock of exercise sheets, evaluation forms and other department documentation.
- Assists in department reception and secretarial functions.
- Answers and routes phone calls appropriately.
- Assists in faxing, photocopying and filing.
- Performs general department reception duties in coordination with other support staff.
- Assembles outpatient folders.
- Assists Appointment Coordinators and Managed Care Advisors in their day to day functions.
- May assist the appointment schedulers in reviewing all incoming referrals with the Lead Physical Therapist and Manager of Rehabilitation Services.
- Assists in filing all referrals appropriately (according to priority, date of referral or specialty area).
- Documents all patient contact on the referral slip and file it accordingly.
- Assists the Appointment Schedulers in maintaining an updated log on the number of referrals received each day and assists in tracking other pertinent information as needed.
- If unable to contact a patient will document this on the referral slip and ensure a letter is sent to the patient.
- Assists the Appointment Scheduler in booking all new evaluations slots ensuring appropriateness of referral to the therapist specialty.
- Maintains an awareness of therapists schedules to ensure return visit times are available for new patients.
- Schedules all return visits as ordered on the appointment request form, keeping in mind patient convenience.
- Assists in scheduling same day add on patients.
- Correctly enters all appointments into appropriate time frames ensuring correct dates, times and pneumonics.
- Accurately records the appointment times on patient receipt.
- Demonstrates sound knowledge of all IDX and Meditech screens ensuring efficient and accurate data entry including insurance information.
- Demonstrates typing proficiency of at least 40 wpm
- Assists therapists in patient treatment.
- Escorts patients into the Physical Therapy Department. Prepares patient for Physical Therapy care (has patient change into appropriate clothing).
- Notifies the PT or PTA of the patient's readiness for treatment.
- Can assist in patient care under the direction of a Physical Therapist or Physical Therapy Assistant. These roles include: administering hot and cold packs, removing modalities, assisting patients onto and off of exercise equipment and following through on exercise programs detailed by the Physical Therapist or Physical Therapy Assistant.
- May lead Senior Fitness Programs and the Burlington Senior Center and Longmeadow. These exercise groups will incorporate stretching, strengthening and aerobic exercise
- Incorporates Lahey Clinic Guiding Principles , Mission Statement and Goals into daily activities.
- Complies with all Lahey Clinic Policies.
- Complies with behavioral expectations of the department and Lahey Clinic.
- Maintains courteous and effective interactions with colleagues and patients.
- Demonstrates an understanding of the job description, performance expectations, and competency assessment.
- Demonstrates a commitment toward meeting and exceeding the needs of our customers and consistently adheres to Customer Service standards.
- Participates in departmental and/or interdepartmental quality improvement activities.
- Participates in and successfully completes Mandatory Education.
- Performs all other duties as needed or directed to meet the needs of the department.
- Performs all other duties as needed or directed.
Education: High School Diploma (BS in science related major a plus)
Licensure, Certification, Registration: N/A
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities: Organized, good verbal communication, excellent interpersonal skills and flexible to manage multiple tasks. Typing 35-40 wpm. Good computer skills.
Experience: One year’s experience in a health care setting.
Beth Israel Lahey Health is an integrated system providing patients with better care wherever they are. Care informed by world-class research and education. We are doctors and nurses, technicians and social workers, innovators and educators, and so many others. All with a shared vision for what healthcare can and should be. We are committed to attracting, developing and retaining top talent. We strive to create a diverse and inclusive workplace that reflects the communities in which we work and serve. With a team approach to care, we encourage learning and growth at all levels and offer competitive salaries and benefits.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.