Welcome to Lahey Hospital & Medical Center, part of Beth Israel Lahey Health. Lahey Hospital & Medical Center is a world-renowned tertiary medical center known for its innovative technology, pioneering medical treatment and leading-edge research. A teaching hospital of Tufts University School of Medicine, the hospital provides quality health care in virtually every specialty and subspecialty, from primary care to cancer diagnosis and treatment to kidney and liver transplantation. It is a national leader in a number of health care areas, including stroke, weight management and lung screenings, among many others. Lahey also helps to advance medicine through research and the education of tomorrow's health care leaders.
About the Job
Position Summary: Under the supervision of a Registered Nurse, performs basic patient care duties including cleaning and preparation for the department. Also assists physicians and RNs with Endoscopic procedures in the Endoscopy suites.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities including but not limited to:
- Cares for patients as delegated by the registered nurse and completes all aspects of care for the assigned patients (refer to Delegation Competency for Unlicensed Assistive Personnel).
- Properly reprocesses endoscopes according to infection control and Lahey Clinic guidelines.
- Assures endoscope equipment is in working order
- Keeps accurate documentation for cleaning/testing of equipment and supplies
- Cleans Endoscopy procedure rooms after use and prepares for next procedure in a timely fashion
- Directly assists physician and RN during Endoscopy procedures. Procedures include but are not limited to EGD, Colonoscopy, Polypectomy, Biopsies, PEG placement, ERCP, and EUS.
- Operates/handles equipment properly during Endoscopic procedures.
- Handles specimens according to policy.
- Stocks Pyxis Patient Station as needed and directed.
- Informs Lead Endoscopy Technician or management team of any equipment problems.
- Prepares travel cart for procedures in MICU/SICU areas.
- Performs basic nursing assistant duties included but not limited to vital signs, applies bedside cardiac monitoring and discontinues telemetry leads upon direction by RN.
- Reports all unusual observations or reactions of the patient to the nurse assigned to the patient or charge nurse.
- Supports a culture of safety and carries out safety interventions for all patients. Under the direction of the RN, performs basic and high risk interventions as outlined in the Falls Risk Policy.
- Adheres to all applicable infection control policies and procedures including hand hygiene, isolation protocol, and cleaning of patient care devices and equipment.
- Assists in transporting patients.
- Orders supplies from Pharmacy in response to emergency requests.
Education: High School diploma or equivalent
Licensure, Certification, Registration: None Required
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities:
Experience: None required
40 Hours Days, 4 ten hour shifts
Weekday, weekend and holiday on call required depending on department needs and department guidelines