Welcome to Beth Israel Lahey Health. We are a new health care system that brings together academic medical centers and teaching hospitals, community and specialty hospitals, more than 4,000 physicians and 35,000 employees in a shared mission to expand access to great care and advance the science and practice of medicine through groundbreaking research and education.
About the Job
The BILH System Hospitals Compliance Officer (SHCO) will serve as a strategic business partner focused on mitigating risk through a collaborative, effective system-wide compliance program. The SHCO will proactively develop and optimize relationships throughout the BILH organization, and have direct oversight to the following hospitals, Addison Gilbert, Anna Jaques, Beverly, BID-Milton, BID-Needham, BID-Plymouth, Mount Auburn, New England Baptist, and Winchester; The SHCO will foster hospital compliance programs that support a culture of integrity and compliance.
The SHCO will supervise a team of hospital compliance professionals responsible for providing hospital compliance expertise and support on key compliance initiatives across the system. The SHCO will also have joint oversight with he Compliance Officer for Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center to support the compliance program of an Academic Medical Center. The SHCO will supervise other compliance leaders for system entities as assigned, ensuring the appropriate development and management of compliance priorities and related-initiatives and management of the compliance program. The SHCO participates as a member of the BILH system compliance leadership team and supports senior leadership across the enterprise. The SHCO will serve as a role model across the system for ethical leadership.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities including but not limited to:
- Work collaboratively with operations leaders to provide training and guidance to ensure that compliance and operations staff work together as partners to mitigate risk.
- Assist in the development of systems, workflow processes, procedural designs, and organizational policies to ensure compliance with Federal and State healthcare program requirements, laws and regulations.
- Provide direct oversight and supervision to the Directors - Hospital Compliance at Addison Gilbert, Anna Jaques, Beverly, BID-Milton, BID-Needham, BID-Plymouth, Mount Auburn, New England Baptist, and Winchester. Ensure a comprehensive hospital compliance program across the enterprise.
- Collaborate with all other hospital compliance professionals to coordinate a unified process in the annual hospital risk assessments and annual compliance work plans for all hospitals across the system.
- Joint oversight with the Deputy Compliance Officer for the Compliance Program at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and support the operational compliance issues and actions for the academic medical center.
- Assist in the implementation of system tools that allow for the effective use of data to maintain and support a sustainable and effective compliance program.
- Reporting, periodically on compliance matters and preparing reports for senior leadership.
- Interacting with and when appropriate negotiating with external regulatory agencies.
- Develop and implement metrics for compliance effectiveness for all areas under direct supervision.
- Assist in the ongoing implementation and refinement of a best in class compliance program.
- Provide direction and supervision to other entity compliance leaders as assigned.
- Develop and implement BILH system-wide hospital compliance services to realize the benefits of scale and deliver higher service levels to operational units across the enterprise.
- Foster a culture of collaboration and team work both within the Compliance department and key stakeholders, business partners and constituents.
- Lead, foster and develop as needed effective information sharing forums, workgroups and committees to enhance and support compliance initiatives.
- Demonstrate high level of proficiency and form strategic partnerships throughout BILH to ensure compliance with federal and state regulations, The Joint Commission, Hospital and Professional Billing including the False Claims Act, related payor regulations, and privacy standards and regulations such as HIPAA, HITECH, MGL 93H, 42 CFR Part 2, and other related state and federal laws, rules and regulations.
- Masters degree or JD required
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities:
Demonstrated leadership skills. Ability to write and communicate clearly and effectively. Ability to manage multiple priorities simultaneously. Ability to motivate, manage and direct staff and support high performing teams. Ability to manage ambiguity. Diplomacy and ability to influence and persuade others.
Decision Making: Ability to make decisions with significant, broad implications for the management and operations of the Compliance and Privacy Program.
Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are broad, complex, abstract often involving system-wide issues and requiring substantial creativity, resourcefulness, staff engagement, negotiation, and diplomacy to develop solutions.
Independence of Action: Ability to set direction and vision.
Setting Priorities: Ability to establish priorities and assess allocation of resources.
Written Communication: Ability to communicate complex information to staff, management, and external customers.
Oral Communications: Ability to demonstrate broad and comprehensive knowledge of theories, concepts, practices and policies.
Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate broad and comprehensive knowledge or theories, concepts, practices and policies with the ability to use them in complex situations across multiple functional areas.
Team Work: Ability to act as a team leader for projects or workgroups, creating a collaborative and respectful team environment.
Customer Service: Ability to understand operational initiatives to meet or exceed customer service standards and expectations in assigned unit(s) and/or across multiple areas in a timely and respectful manner.
Preferred Qualifications & Skills:
- Experience leading in a matrix work environment.
- Excellent listening skills.
Dept/Unit Specific Skills:
- Strong knowledge of compliance program requirements. Demonstrated experience in leading and managing healthcare compliance programs aligned with the OIG Compliance Program Recommendations and the Federal Sentencing Guidelines
Beth Israel Lahey Health is an integrated system providing patients with better care wherever they are. Care informed by world-class research and education. We are doctors and nurses, technicians and social workers, innovators and educators, and so many others. All with a shared vision for what healthcare can and should be. We are committed to attracting, developing and retaining top talent. We strive to create a diverse and inclusive workplace that reflects the communities in which we work and serve. With a team approach to care, we encourage learning and growth at all levels and offer competitive salaries and benefits.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.