Welcome to Lahey Hospital & Medical Center, part of Beth Israel Lahey Health. Lahey Hospital & Medical Center is a world-renowned tertiary medical center known for its innovative technology, pioneering medical treatment and leading-edge research. A teaching hospital of Tufts University School of Medicine, the hospital provides quality health care in virtually every specialty and subspecialty, from primary care to cancer diagnosis and treatment to kidney and liver transplantation. It is a national leader in a number of health care areas, including stroke, weight management and lung screenings, among many others. Lahey also helps to advance medicine through research and the education of tomorrow's health care leaders.
About the Job
The Executive Service Line Director must be an experienced healthcare leader with an in-depth understanding of clinical operations as well as their noted service lines. The Executive Service Line Director will work alongside the executive leadership team to improve clinical quality and to continue to promote the growth of their service line.
The ESLD reports to the Vice President of Medical Service and Ambulatory Performance. The Executive Service Line Director (ESLD), is responsible for the overall operational, clinical and financial performance of the service-line (all sites included if applicable). The ESLD partners with physician leadership, business managers, Finance, and nursing leadership to establish yearly performance goals for each service-line, which is aligned with the vision and mission of Lahey Hospital and Medical Center. The ESLD has responsibility for, but not limited to, service line and departmental planning, creating a strategic growth plan, business development, managing / supervising all management staff, and development as it relates to the capital and operating budget including: product-line development, budget calculations, report analysis and expense monitoring. The ESLD demonstrates an understanding of financial systems in order to develop financial reporting structure to appropriately monitor strategic goals, including optimizing affordability of services. The ESLD will ensure that the service lines meets operating guidelines as may be established by annual goals, including but not limited to: patient access, revenue cycle, patient satisfaction, and quality goals. The ESLD may hold project/program responsibilities outside the service-line that establish Lahey Hospital and Medical Center as an organization of excellence.
The Executive Service Line Director must establish effective strategies for programs, product/service line, and physician integration and resource utilizations with the goal of increasing service line growth, efficiency, and patient experience. S/he must have the ability to confidently establish relationships with Physicians and Physician leaders.
The Executive Service Line Director may be asked to manage a departmental sub-function within a broader departmental function. In such cases s/he will create functional strategies and specific objectives for the sub-function and develops budgets/policies/procedures to support the functional infrastructure. Deep knowledge of the managed sub-function and solid knowledge of the overall departmental function. The ESLD of Ambulatory Medical Specialties will oversee the service line comprising Allergy & Immunology, Dermatology & Mohs Surgery, Endocrinology, Nephrology & Dialysis Services, and Rheumatology.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities (including but not limited to):
- Strategy and Business Development
- In conjunction with the clinical and senior administrative leadership, sets the strategic vision of the service line and executes that mission.
- Oversees all new multi-disciplinary program development across the service line
- Leads the strategic development and deployment of the service line across LHMC and Lahey Health affiliates
- Develops relationships and leads team building with physician leadership, senior administration and other colleagues to achieve defined service-line and organizational strategic goals at LHMC and Lahey Health affiliates.
- In conjunction with the clinical leadership, identifies new treatment modalities and opportunities, including the development of practical business plans to support the venture.
- Participates in marketing and promotional initiatives within the service-line, developing marketing campaigns, implementing programs and reporting on measured results.
- Directs daily operations of clinics and service line by translating business vision and strategy into operational goals, objectives workflows and implementation plans.
- In coordination with the service line business manager, prepares departmental operational and capital budgets in order to develop financial reporting structure to appropriately monitor strategic goals (including optimizing affordability services), financial projections and long-term forecasted development.
- Establishes revenue and expense targets with physician leadership and Vice Presidents.
- Implements processes to achieve and monitor financial performance improvement through leadership of revenue cycle teams.
- Provides supervision, guidance and monitoring of staff compliance with reaching budgeted revenue and expense targets.
- Investigates and manages financial problem areas; proposes solutions and implements action where applicable.
- Prepares necessary financial, statistical and operational data for new program or business including expected return of investment to the organization.
- Maintains a thorough understanding of clinical reimbursement and managed care issues specific to service-line. Identifies opportunities to optimize clinical reimbursement and implements new policies and procedures as necessary.
- Operations/Work Flow/Compliance
- In conjunction with the Department Managers (Nurse Manager, Clinic Manager, Operations Manager, Program Manager), provides direction and guidance for all aspects of daily administration and management of departments within the service line.
- In conjunction with the Department Managers, provides support to staff to enable them to provide safe, cost-effective health care that exceeds the expectations of Lahey’s patients.
- In conjunction with the Department Managers, facilitates compliance with all regulatory requirements — DPH, OSHA, JCAHO, HIPPA, etc. — in all clinical, business and financial practices within the service line.
- Provides administrative guidance to managers and others consisting of examining of systems, employing analytical judgment, managing projects, organizing resources, consulting and solving problems. Independently investigates and implements recommendations.
- Maintains open communications with physicians, staff and management.
- Oversees office workflow, monitors office staff productivity, and makes appropriate recommendations to department leadership.
- Human Resources
- In conjunction with the Department Managers, hires, transfers, disciplines, terminates or initiates other personnel actions affecting staff employment.
- In conjunction with the Department Managers, ensures high quality patient care through effective management of service-line staffing objectives.
- Develops recruitment and retention strategies with human resources to hire, retain and develop qualified colleagues.
- Supports atmosphere of collegiality and promotes staff career growth to build Lahey Hospital and Medical Center as an organization of excellence.
- Functions as a role model for all Lahey colleagues through positive attitude, adherence to organizational policies and procedures and/or professional code of ethics.
- Provides a safe environment for patients and colleagues encouraging colleagues to contribute to problem solving and promoting best practices.
- Communicates effectively with colleagues regarding Lahey news/visions/goals as well as departmental activities so as to ensure staff inclusion and participation as valued members of Lahey Hospital and Medical Center.
- In conjunction with Department Managers, ensures that all annual performance appraisals are completed within the established time frame in each of the assigned areas.
- Works in conjunction with the Department Manager to train and mentor staff for current assignments developing them into successive career positions.
- Is committed to ensuring high quality patient care through the hiring, training and supervision staff.
- Ensures that all colleagues in assigned areas adhere to Lahey’s compliance and mandatory education requirements.
- In consultation with Human Resources, meets equal employment/affirmative action program goals and objectives.
- Complies with federal, state and local laws and regulations as well as Lahey Hospital and Medical Center’s policies and programs.
- Leads efforts to improve Colleague Engagement scores within the service line.
- Health Care Knowledge, Professional Growth and Development
- Maintains an in-depth knowledge of the changing health care environment and evaluates the market need for specific clinical services or programs.
- Develops programs and services in response to the market under the guidance of physician leadership and Vice Presidents.
- Demonstrates motivation and initiative in seeking continued professional growth and development.
- Identifies knowledge gaps and takes appropriate courses or seminars to improve understanding.
- Identifies internal resources as sources of expertise to achieve learning goals.
- Patient Care/Customer Service
- Is attuned to patient/customer needs; anticipates future needs and implements appropriate action to ensure access to quality medical services and world class customer service.
- Utilizes patient satisfaction data, customer surveys, phone interviews, compliments or complaints to identify, implement and evaluate best practices.
- Motivates colleagues to achieve a high standard of service quality.
- Establish a culture where all colleagues feel valued and able to contribute to customer service improvement.
- Quality Improvement
- Collaborates with clinical leaders and physician leadership to identify clinical, administrative and safety issues as areas for quality improvement processes.
- Participates in quality improvement initiatives as defined by the service-line or organization.
- Develops consistent interpretation and application of department policies and procedures throughout all Lahey Hospital and Medical Center sites.
- Ensures a provision for quality care in line with Lahey’s mission and philosophy.
- Manage and improve service line activity along key performance metrics for related clinical subspecialties including volume growth, patient satisfaction, access, quality measures, service line profitability, and staff and physician engagement scores.
- Organizational Requirements
- Maintains strict adherence to the Lahey Hospital and Medical Center Confidentiality Policy.
- Incorporates Lahey’s Guiding Principles, Mission Statement and Goals into daily activities.
- Complies with all Lahey Policies. Complies with behavioral expectations of the department and Lahey Hospital and Medical Center.
- Maintains courteous and effective interactions with colleagues and patients.
- Demonstrates an understanding of the job description, performance expectations, and competency assessment.
- Demonstrates a commitment toward meeting and exceeding the needs of our customers and consistently adheres to Customer Service standards.
- Participates in departmental and/or interdepartmental quality improvement activities.
- Participates in and successfully completes Mandatory Education.
- Performs all other duties as needed or directed to meet the needs of the department.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or directed to ensure the smooth operation of the service line.
- Bachelor’s Degree required (BS/BA or BSN)
- MSN/MBA/MHA or related master’s degree preferred
Licensure, Certification, Registration: None
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities:
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- 10 years of experience in a leadership role within a multi-practice environment is required
- Demonstrated operations and financial management experience.
- Demonstrated experience in developing/implementing performance improvement initiatives.
- Ability to effectively plan and facilitate organized and productive meetings/workgroups.
- Ability to work independently and resolve complex issues with minimal supervision.
- Ability to manage concurrent projects with competing priorities and aggressive deadlines.
- Strong aptitude for effectively influencing others at all organizational levels in project-related situations.
- Possess strong analytic skills in order to manipulate, interpret and utilize data for process improvement.
- Strong PC skills including proficiency in use of Excel, Access, PowerPoint and Project.
- Understands context of assignments and tasks and able to be flexible and adaptable to changing roles & priorities.
Experience: A minimum of 10 years of relevant leaderhip experience in the health care delivery industry including operations, strategic planning, financial analysis and project management. Financial management and budgeting experience also required.
Beth Israel Lahey Health is an integrated system providing patients with better care wherever they are. Care informed by world-class research and education. We are doctors and nurses, technicians and social workers, innovators and educators, and so many others. All with a shared vision for what healthcare can and should be. We are committed to attracting, developing and retaining top talent. We strive to create a diverse and inclusive workplace that reflects the communities in which we work and serve. With a team approach to care, we encourage learning and growth at all levels and offer competitive salaries and benefits.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.