Location: Winchester, MA
Job ID: 164815-1A
Date Posted: Dec 4, 2020
Category: Clinical Support
Welcome to Winchester Hospital, part of Beth Israel Lahey Health. Winchester Hospital was the first hospital in Massachusetts to earn Magnet recognition, the American Nurses Association’s highest honor for nursing excellence, three times. It has since received the recognition a fourth time. As the northwest suburban Boston area’s leading provider of comprehensive health care services, the 229-bed facility provides care in general, bariatric and vascular surgery, orthopedics, pediatrics, cardiology, pulmonary medicine, oncology, gastroenterology, rehabilitation, radiation oncology, pain management, obstetrics/gynecology and a Level IIB Special Care Nursery.
About the Job
GENERAL SUMMARY: Under the direction of the Registered Nurse and/or Licensed Practical Nurse, responsible for organizing all cases that remain on the OR schedule for the day, as well as any add-on cases. Does daily diagnostics of equipment, cleans and runs biologicals on all sterilizers on a weekly basis. Work with Central Materials to ensure the Operating Room is stocked with proper instrumentation.
Required: High School Diploma or equivalent.
Required: At least one year previous experience in a clinical or medical assistant position in a medical setting.
· For safety and quality reasons, must be able to read, write and communicate effectively in English with patients, visitors and fellow members of the hospital team.
· Knowledge or basic medical terminology.
· Basic computer skills.
Preferred: Previous Sterile Processing or experience with surgical instrumentation.
LIFE SUPPORT CERTIFICATION REQUIRED: N/A
POPULATION SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS: N/A
OTHER JOB REQUIREMENTS:
On-call Requirement: NA
Schedule Requirements: Based on business needs.
Travel Requirements: Based on business needs.
· Reports to the Nurse Manager, Assistant Nurse Manager.
· Not responsible for supervising the work of others.
As part of the Patient Care Services team, this position:
· Facilitates and communicates between Central Materials and the Operating Room to acquire the needed equipment and instrumentation for case carts, inner core supplies, stocks for OR’s, and maintains par levels of supplies in all OR’s and in the inner core.
· Acts as liaison between all departments and Nursing Supervisor when they need to acquire items from OR inventory. Tracks all items removed for such purposes and reports them to OR buyer for proper charging.
· Is responsible for organizing all cases that remain on the OR schedule for the day, as well as any add-on cases.
· Picks and organizes the first cases for the next day's schedule ensuring that all equipment and supplies are available and in good working order.
· Lays out first case for the next day’s schedule (in appropriate room).
· Ensures availability of all special equipment and supplies needed for all of the next day’s cases by working with CMS and OR purchasing agent.
· Does daily diagnostics of STERIS machine and flushes steam sterilizer daily; cleans and runs biologicals on all sterilizers on a weekly basis.
· Flushes steam sterilizer daily, cleans and runs biologicals on all sterilizers on a weekly basis.
· Assists OR staff in the breakdown of cases when finished to assist in "turnover" of room and works collaboratively with the CA's and environmental services to ensure proper cleaning of rooms.
· Assists in transportation of patient when deemed necessary by charge nurse and assists in transferring patients and patient care equipment to other rooms.
· Assists in positioning patients for surgical procedure under the direction of the circulating nurse. Assists in holding limbs for the purpose of prepping patients for surgical procedures.
· Participates in the orientation of new staff, students, and/or volunteers.
· Performs other duties as assigned to meet the department needs.
· Participates in the following:
o Mandatory training requirements as per unit/hospital policy.
o Continuing education/ inservices to enhance knowledge.
o Staff meetings
o Performance improvement initiatives.
o Orientation of new staff, students and/or volunteers.
Beth Israel Lahey Health is an integrated system providing patients with better care wherever they are. Care informed by world-class research and education. We are doctors and nurses, technicians and social workers, innovators and educators, and so many others. All with a shared vision for what healthcare can and should be. We are committed to attracting, developing and retaining top talent. We strive to create a diverse and inclusive workplace that reflects the communities in which we work and serve. With a team approach to care, we encourage learning and growth at all levels and offer competitive salaries and benefits.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.