This job posting is no longer active.
Location: Billerica, MA
Job ID: 164797-1A
Date Posted: Apr 28, 2021
Category: Clinical Technician
Welcome to Lahey Health Primary Care. With over 55 primary care practices in more than 30 nearby communities , our primary care physicians and care teams provide quality close to where our patients live or work. We have a team approach to patient care and have developed long-standing, mutually respectful relationships with local specialists at our affiliate hospitals to guide and support the most effective and efficient patient care. As part of the Beth Israel Lahey Health system, we now have the opportunity to care for even more individuals across eastern Massachusetts.
About the Job
Position Summary: Under the direct supervision of the Site Manager and the general supervision of the Laboratory Manager independently performs venipuncture and capillary punctures on adult and pediatric patients and is familiar with patient and specimen requirements. Performs processing of specimens and routes specimens to the appropriate laboratory for analysis. Performs a variety of clerical duties associated with the operation of the Lahey Health EPIC EHR. Performs special projects as assigned. May be required to work at off-site locations as needed. Acts as a preceptor for new phlebotomy staff as needed or directed by the Site Manager or Laboratory Manager. Performs laboratory waived testing and quality control. Responsible for daily documentation to include refrigerator and room temperature.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities including but not limited to:
1. Centrifuge blood and prepare specimens in a timely manner in preparation for courier pickup/laboratory testing.
2. Perform dipstick urinalysis; urine pregnancy testing and rapid strep testing; collect urine and throat culture specimens and prepare for submission to the Laboratory.
3. Performs and documents daily, weekly and monthly quality control of laboratory testing in accordance with Lahey Health Primary Care CGP SOP and manufacturer guidelines.
4. Perform testing (i.e. electrocardiograms, spirometry testing, vision and hearing testing and glucose monitoring): Site Specific.
5. Perform Laboratory housekeeping, handle hazardous waste and maintain laboratory inventory.
6. Acts as preceptor for new phlebotomy staff as needed and requested by Site Manager or Laboratory Manager.
7. Maintain established departmental policies and procedures, objectives, quality assurance programs, safety, environment and infection control standards.
8. Achieves and maintains Basic Life Support (BLS) certification through American Heart Association, according to departmental standards (within one year).
9. Adheres to all corporate policies relating to patient identification and specimen labeling in the ambulatory environment.
10. Prepare packing lists for specimen transport to Burlington/Peabody, ensure all specimens have been processed appropriately utilizing specimen outstanding list and send out bench list.
General Expectations include but are not limited to:
•Verifies patient identification according to Lahey Health Policy for outpatients only.
•Must be able to perform venipunctures on a minimum of 6 outpatients/hr.
11. Incorporates Lahey Health Guiding Principles, Mission Statement and Goals into daily activities.
12. Complies with all Lahey Health Policies.
13. Complies with behavioral expectations of the department and Lahey Health.
14. Maintains courteous and effective interactions with colleagues and patients.
15. Demonstrates an understanding of the job description, performance expectations, and competency assessment.
16. Demonstrates a commitment toward meeting and exceeding the needs of our customers and consistently adheres to Customer Service standards.
17. Participates in departmental and/or interdepartmental quality improvement activities.
18. Participates in and successfully completes Mandatory Education.
19. Performs all other duties as needed or directed to meet the needs of the department.
Education: High school graduate or equivalent.
Licensure, Certification, Registration: Achieves and maintains Basic Life Support (BLS) certification through American Heart Association, according to departmental standards (within one year).
Completion of phlebotomy certification program with externship is preferred but not required. Additional certification by American Society of Clinical Pathologists (ASCP) Board of Registry is preferred but not required.
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities: Organized, accurate and detail oriented. Good interpersonal skills to effectively interact with patients and providers. Ability to work in a fast-paced, high volume environment required.
1+ years of phlebotomy experience and demonstrated proficiency in the phlebotomy field
DAYS / FULL-TIME / 40 HOURS / BILLERICA
Beth Israel Lahey Health is an integrated system providing patients with better care wherever they are. Care informed by world-class research and education. We are doctors and nurses, technicians and social workers, innovators and educators, and so many others. All with a shared vision for what healthcare can and should be. We are committed to attracting, developing and retaining top talent. We strive to create a diverse and inclusive workplace that reflects the communities in which we work and serve. With a team approach to care, we encourage learning and growth at all levels and offer competitive salaries and benefits.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.