This job posting is no longer active.
Location: Winchester, MA
Job ID: 164756-1A
Date Posted: May 10, 2021
Category: Clinical Professional
Welcome to Winchester Hospital, part of Beth Israel Lahey Health. Winchester Hospital was the first hospital in Massachusetts to earn Magnet recognition, the American Nurses Association’s highest honor for nursing excellence, three times. It has since received the recognition a fourth time. As the northwest suburban Boston area’s leading provider of comprehensive health care services, the 229-bed facility provides care in general, bariatric and vascular surgery, orthopedics, pediatrics, cardiology, pulmonary medicine, oncology, gastroenterology, rehabilitation, radiation oncology, pain management, obstetrics/gynecology and a Level IIB Special Care Nursery.
About the Job
JOB SUMMARY: Contributes to the Hospital’s mission by reviewing and interpreting physician orders, dispensing medications, monitoring drug therapies and providing accurate and timely drug information while complying with all legal and practice standards. This licensed clinical staff position will have an impact on improving quality and safety by providing accurate and therapeutic medication to patients and on staff satisfaction and efficiency by processing prescriptions in a timely manner.
Required: Bachelor of Science in Pharmacy from an accredited school of pharmacy
Preferred: Doctor in pharmacy from an accredited school of pharmacy
Preferred: At least 1 year in an institutional setting
· Strong computer skills required
· For safety and quality reasons, must be able to read, write and communicate effectively in English with patients, visitors and fellow members of the hospital team
· Ability to input data and maintain the system that are utilized to execute medication orders
· EPIC Willow / Beacon Experience
· Experience working in a USP 797/800 compliant sterile compounding environment.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS, CERTIFICATIONS:
Required: Valid licensure as a pharmacist in the State of Massachusetts. Pharmacist must not have infractions pending against held licensures or license eligible with license obtained within four months of employment
LIFE SUPPORT CERTIFICATION REQUIRED: None Required
POPULATION SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS: Neonate, Infant, Children, Adolescent, Adult, Geriatric
OTHER JOB REQUIREMENTS:
Professional Commitment Requirements: Keep abreast of developments in the field and/or licensure through continuing education, participation in professional organizations or a combination of both
On-call: On-call rotation required
Schedule requirements: Rotation is required to cover all shifts and holidays
Travel requirements: N/A
· Reports to the Pharmacy Clinical Manager
· Responsible for supervising the work of pharmacy technicians as required by law
As part of the Pharmacy team, the Staff Pharmacist:
· Dispenses medication by receiving, interpreting and accurately dispensing medications for both inpatient and outpatient; monitors for correct dosage, drug interactions, allergies and the appropriateness of therapy while incorporating the special needs for patient age and patient types.
· Promotes communication, collaboration and problem-solving with members of the healthcare team, patients and/or family members/significant others.
· Demonstrates clinical expertise in their assigned area and fosters a climate of clinical and professional excellence.
· Consults with providers to discuss therapy when in need of clarification to ensure appropriate therapy or concerning alternative therapy when non-formulary or target drugs are prescribed.
· Maintains patient’s medication records.
· Processes STAT medication orders completely in a timely manner.
· Prepares or oversees the preparation of all intravenous fluids, including potential nutrition solutions, chemotherapy, intravenous solutions, intravenous piggybacks and irrigation solutions observing standards of aseptic technique.
· Ensures products are labeled correctly.
· Prepares and dispenses all controlled substances accurately while maintaining all appropriate records according to state and federal rules and regulations.
· Inputs dispensing data into Meditech Pharmacy module and Pyxis distribution system.
· Directs and oversees the work of pharmacy techs, auditing their work and verifying they are operating within their scope of practice. Actively participates in the education of pharmacist students on rotation.
· Performs all required documentation accurately, legibly and timely.
· Covers other departments, including Employee Pharmacy and Oncology, as needed based on staffing needs.
Beth Israel Lahey Health is an integrated system providing patients with better care wherever they are. Care informed by world-class research and education. We are doctors and nurses, technicians and social workers, innovators and educators, and so many others. All with a shared vision for what healthcare can and should be. We are committed to attracting, developing and retaining top talent. We strive to create a diverse and inclusive workplace that reflects the communities in which we work and serve. With a team approach to care, we encourage learning and growth at all levels and offer competitive salaries and benefits.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.