Welcome to Lahey Hospital & Medical Center, part of Beth Israel Lahey Health. Lahey Hospital & Medical Center is a world-renowned tertiary medical center known for its innovative technology, pioneering medical treatment and leading-edge research. A teaching hospital of Tufts University School of Medicine, the hospital provides quality health care in virtually every specialty and subspecialty, from primary care to cancer diagnosis and treatment to kidney and liver transplantation. It is a national leader in a number of health care areas, including stroke, weight management and lung screenings, among many others. Lahey also helps to advance medicine through research and the education of tomorrow's health care leaders.
About the Job
Position Summary: Under the direction of the Telecommunication’s Manager, provides 24/7, 365 day service operating switchboard, paging console, patient information and monitors and responds to all codes, trauma and hospital wide alarm activity.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities including but not limited to:
- Receives and processes 3500 – 4500 calls daily for Lahey Burlington and Lahey Peabody. In addition supports internal calls from hospital staff for paging and directory assistance.
- Operates AMCOM paging software system. Incorporates paging, message retrieval, physician registry, and overhead paging. Processes approx. 2000 pages per day.
- Initiates/oversees after hours on call schedule for Lahey Burlington, Lahey Peabody and certain CGP locations for patient and staff calls. Maintains sleep room schedules for medical staff and will locate staff as necessary. Accountable for calling OR and Recovery room nurses when emergency surgical cases are required.
- Monitors/Responds to all Lahey Burlington activated codes and alarms including: Trauma, Resuscitation Team, Disaster Alerts, Missing Person, Emergency Exit Doors, Medial Gas, Radiation, Blood Bank, Hylon and Burglar and Hold-Up. Is responsible for notifying essential personnel, security and 911 Emergency services. Performs daily tests of Trauma and Met pagers and documents response results.
- Accountable for handling all In-Patient Information calls. Updates patient register as necessary for accuracy. Controls patient room’s telephone on/off activity. Responsible for restricting/unrestricting hospital telephones as necessary.
- Responsible for distribution of new/spare/long range pagers, patient room telephones, TTY (Hearing Impaired) equipment, batteries, hospital directories and conference room speakerphones. Provides assistance to in house staff requiring international calling and faxing.
- Institutes emergency back up procedures in event of systems failure to paging or telephone systems.
- Applies effective listening skills and courtesy when interacting with physicians, patients, patient family members’, visitors, medial staff and all other hospital personnel. Diffuses irate patient calls when necessary.
- Demonstrates flexibility and team support to cover alternate shifts and holiday schedules as required.
- Understands Telecom Department as an “essential” department to the hospital and is required to report to work during inclement weather conditions, etc.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
- Incorporates Lahey Hospital and Medical Center Guiding Principles , Mission Statement and Goals into daily activities.
- Complies with all Lahey Hospital and Medical Center Policies.
- Complies with behavioral expectations of the department and Lahey Hospital and Medical Center
- Maintains courteous and effective interactions with colleagues and patients.
- Demonstrates an understanding of the job description, performance expectations, and competency assessment.
- Demonstrates a commitment toward meeting and exceeding the needs of our customers and consistently adheres to Customer Service standards.
- Participates in departmental and/or interdepartmental quality improvement activities.
- Participates in and successfully completes Mandatory Education.
- Performs all other duties as needed or directed to meet the needs of the department.
Education: High School Diploma or equivalent education and experience.
Licensure, Certification, Registration: N/A
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities: In the absence of any of these skills, demonstrates the ability to be thoroughly trained to meet organizational standards.
Previous telephone/switchboard or ACD experience preferred.
Medical terminology or basic understanding
Strong Customer Service Skills
24 Hour Days
Beth Israel Lahey Health is an integrated system providing patients with better care wherever they are. Care informed by world-class research and education. We are doctors and nurses, technicians and social workers, innovators and educators, and so many others. All with a shared vision for what healthcare can and should be. We are committed to attracting, developing and retaining top talent. We strive to create a diverse and inclusive workplace that reflects the communities in which we work and serve. With a team approach to care, we encourage learning and growth at all levels and offer competitive salaries and benefits.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.