Location: Winchester, MA
Job ID: 164171-1A
Date Posted: Nov 17, 2020
Category: Clinical Professional
Welcome to Winchester Hospital, part of Beth Israel Lahey Health. Winchester Hospital was the first hospital in Massachusetts to earn Magnet recognition, the American Nurses Association’s highest honor for nursing excellence, three times. It has since received the recognition a fourth time. As the northwest suburban Boston area’s leading provider of comprehensive health care services, the 229-bed facility provides care in general, bariatric and vascular surgery, orthopedics, pediatrics, cardiology, pulmonary medicine, oncology, gastroenterology, rehabilitation, radiation oncology, pain management, obstetrics/gynecology and a Level IIB Special Care Nursery.
About the Job
Contributes to the Hospital’s mission to care, to heal, and to excel in service to our community by performing various clinical laboratory tests as requested in physician orders. This clinical professional position impacts patient care by performing accurate tests as prescribed by the physician in a timely manner so clinicians receive accurate result expeditiously enabling them to provide the best possible care.
Required: Bachelor’s degree in a science field required or grandfathered qualifications.
Grandfathered Qualifications (A or B):
A. 2-year science degree and evidence of working experience in a clinical setting prior to 1980.
B. MLT Certification (HEW or military) acquired prior to 1980
Required: For safety and quality reasons, must be able to read, write and communicate effectively in English with patients, visitors and fellow members of the hospital team.
Required: Medical Technologist registry eligible
Preferred: Medical Technologist registered (ASCP or applicable)
LIFE SUPPORT CERTIFICATION REQUIRED: N/A
POPULATION SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS: N/A
OTHER JOB REQUIREMENTS:
Professional Commitment Requirements: Keep abreast of developments in the field and/or licensure through continuing education, participation in professional organizations or a combination of both.
On-call: May be required in case of staff shortages
Schedule requirements: Required to rotate holiday and weekend coverage. May be expected to cover alternative shifts in cases of staff shortages.
Travel requirements: Position is expected to rotate between the core lab and the hospital locations, depending on the specialty.
· Reports to the Laboratory Section Coordinator/Supervisor or Operations Manager as assigned.
· Not responsible for supervising the work of others.
As part of the Laboratory team, this position:
· Prepares specimen depending on lab order
· Performs tests using both/either manual methods or automated instrumentation which require fine motor coordination and manual dexterity. Ensures specimen integrity throughout the process.
· Performs quality control checks and equipment maintenance, adhering to high quality standards.
· Responds to supply and equipment issues timely to ensure optimum operations and equipment quality and long-term equipment maintenance and life.
· Reviews and inputs quality control and patient results into the electronic medical records system in a timely manner so clinicians and patients get their results as quickly a possible. Expedites results to clinicians for stat and critical results.
· Performs necessary calibrations on new and expired lots of reagents
· Troubleshoot test anomalies and system problems in a logical manner to ensure accurate tests.
· Maintains a clean and safe work environment presenting a professional impression of facilities and fostering our culture of safety.
Maintain documentation, reports and quality checks to ensure the laboratory is in compliance with regulatory agencies, accreditation and Hospital policies and procedures.
Runs report to verify optimal operational performance.
Takes status and result requests and other questions from patients and clinicians in a timely and professional manner.
Provides clinical guidance and training to hospital clinicians and physicians on Laboratory policies and procedures.
Reviews supplies inventory, communicates supply needs and rotates supplies when new stocking is received.
In the absence of the Section Supervisor and Lead Techs, may be the technologist in charge of the shift, resolving operational and clinical issues in a timely manner. Addresses immediate performance concerns and communicates issues to the Section Supervisor as appropriate.
Beth Israel Lahey Health is an integrated system providing patients with better care wherever they are. Care informed by world-class research and education. We are doctors and nurses, technicians and social workers, innovators and educators, and so many others. All with a shared vision for what healthcare can and should be. We are committed to attracting, developing and retaining top talent. We strive to create a diverse and inclusive workplace that reflects the communities in which we work and serve. With a team approach to care, we encourage learning and growth at all levels and offer competitive salaries and benefits.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.