Welcome to Shared Services, our team uses a coordinated approach to delivering administrative and operational services across Lahey. Our Shared Services colleagues leverage resources across the organization to ensure we provide high-quality, high-value care to the communities we proudly serve. The Shared Services team includes colleagues who focus on business and network development, legal services, facilities and real estate, human resources, information technology, finance, philanthropy and marketing and communications.
About the Job
Under the direction of the Controller and Assistant Controllers, the Senior Accountant analyzes financial information and prepares financial reports to determine or maintain record of assets, liabilities, profit and loss, or other financial activities within the organization.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities including but not limited to:
Property, Plant & Equipment:
- Maintain fixed asset database; ensure that the depreciation expense is properly recorded. This includes closing construction projects in CIP, making manual adjustments to assets in the asset subsidiary system, and troubleshooting system interface issues.
- Manage and maintain the routine capital process for the institution and its affiliates.
- Manage and track all costs related to expansion projects as well as the restricted assets and MHEFA requisitions. Provide analysis of capital spending during the fiscal year to management. Prepare and present fixed assets schedules to the outside auditors during the annual audit. Assist in the depreciation budget process.
- Manage the monthly process of accounting for inventories.
- Coordinate the year end physical inventory counts.
- Prepare and present inventory schedules to the outside auditors during the annual audit.
Corporate tax returns:
- Member of the team that prepares the corporate tax returns for submission to the Treasury Department, Commonwealth of Massachusetts and local cities and towns. The submissions includes but is not limited to the following: Form 990, Form 990-T, NYS CHAR500, Form MA PC, Form M-990T, Form MA 355, Form 1120 and Form 3ABC.
- Maintains daily cash activity for deposits and cash outlays among all bank accounts.
- Prepares a daily cash flash card of available cash for VP of Finance, forecast cash collections and disbursements to assist in maintaining minimum cash on hand.
- Processes intercompany bank transfers and wires to ensure all accounts are fully funded, processes electronic payments for Payroll, reconciles cash accounts at month end.
- Maintain an open communication with PFS team as related to cash issues.
- Prepares and maintain all activity Investment accounts – including realized and unrealized gains or losses, fees, dividends, interest, capital gains.
- Prepares and maintains the allocation of these investment by investment classes.
- Reconciles investment accounts and activity monthly.
- Prepares monthly reports for internal and external users.
- Balance Sheet account analysis, Statement of Operations analysis, and Budget variance analysis.
- Prepare Department of Commerce census forms
- Provide financial data for property insurance contents coverage and business interruption
- Provide financial data to Payment Systems Department for the Medicare cost reports.
- Ad hoc projects for VP’s and Managers
- Maintains debt schedules
- Participates in the monthly close of the financial statement
- Bank reconciliations
- Prepares schedules for Interim & Year-End audit.
- Meets with outside auditors to review activity and to respond to any of their inquiries.
- Prepares audited financial statements schedules such as the statements of cash flows and selected footnotes.
Philanthropy & Grants:
- Prepares monthly entries to include but not limited to the following: cash donations, stock donations, gifts-in-kind, pledge activity, split-interest agreement activity, endowment activity and beneficial interest in perpetual and lead trusts activity.
- Will work closely with our Philanthropy colleagues.
- Prepares and distributes reports to managers regarding their spendable donor funds.
- Participates in the interim and annual audits.
- Prepares monthly entries to include but not limited to the following: recording of receipts from study sponsors, set-up accounts receivable for invoices issued, adjustments to deferred revenue, adjustments regarding deficit balances and release of donor funds in support of research.
- Will work closely with our Research Administrative colleagues.
- Prepares and distributes reports to management.
- Will participate in an A-133 audit if warranted.
Physician Compensation Modeling:
- Create, maintain, and analyze physician compensation model(s) to ensure appropriate liabilities are recorded on balance sheet.
- BS in Accounting, Master’s degree or CPA certification desired
- Experience in PeopleSoft including Asset Management System and Workday
- Proficient in MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access)
- Strong attention to detail, well-developed written and verbal communication skills, and exceptional organization skills
- 3-5 years accounting experience in a healthcare setting.
Beth Israel Lahey Health is an integrated system providing patients with better care wherever they are. Care informed by world-class research and education. We are doctors and nurses, technicians and social workers, innovators and educators, and so many others. All with a shared vision for what healthcare can and should be. We are committed to attracting, developing and retaining top talent. We strive to create a diverse and inclusive workplace that reflects the communities in which we work and serve. With a team approach to care, we encourage learning and growth at all levels and offer competitive salaries and benefits.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.