Location: Winchester, MA
Job ID: 163860-1A
Date Posted: Oct 21, 2020
Welcome to Winchester Hospital, part of Beth Israel Lahey Health. Winchester Hospital was the first hospital in Massachusetts to earn Magnet recognition, the American Nurses Association’s highest honor for nursing excellence, three times. It has since received the recognition a fourth time. As the northwest suburban Boston area’s leading provider of comprehensive health care services, the 229-bed facility provides care in general, bariatric and vascular surgery, orthopedics, pediatrics, cardiology, pulmonary medicine, oncology, gastroenterology, rehabilitation, radiation oncology, pain management, obstetrics/gynecology and a Level IIB Special Care Nursery.
About the Job
GENERAL SUMMARY: Responsible for representing Winchester Hospital, Satellite facilities, and The Physicians Answering Service customers to the public, patients, and internally in a busy environment processing approximately 90,000 calls per month.
1. Exemplifies Winchester Hospital’s values and Service Excellence standards. Commits to making every encounter with our patients, patients’ family, co-workers, physicians and other customers the best that it can be.
2. Complies with all Hospital policies and the Code of Business Conduct. Takes responsibility for own safety as well as the safety of patients, patients’ family, co-workers, physicians and other customers.
3. Operation of PC windows based computers and related equipment by answering and completing external and internal calls for Winchester Hospital, and Answering Service customers. Responsible for answering and process internal operator dial “0” calls.
4. Monitoring of medical and non-medical emergency alarm system. Knowledge and familiarity with various emergency codes and unique dispatch processes based on hospital site involving critical and sometimes life or death patient care emergencies and doing so in a timely manner with a high accuracy rate.
5. Provide 24/7 and after hours answering service call answering for a customer base of approximately of 200 physicians. Responsible to know the unique protocols of staff with regard to answering service coverage. Paging, messaging, and coordinating the information flow to on-call staff from critical patient care callers in a timely manner. Customer Service Representatives have knowledge to follow guidelines and Protocols.
6. Continually update answering service staff changes and locating providers. Document complaint and incident calls for coordinator and resolve according to procedure.
7. Utilize and have knowledge of overhead paging system in the hospital. Perform overhead paging to locate physicians and announcing emergency code response plans and doing so in a timely manner as to not impact patient care.
8. Assist patient and staff with long distance dialed calls. Answer and provide directional assistant for patients, visitors, and staff for Winchester Hospital. Document and process physician consults. Update status for physicians and staff. Answer, transfer, and process patient information calls for hospital.
9. Answer and forward telephone repair calls to appropriate technician staff.
10. Perform pager repairs, programming, training and assist pager users with operational and emergency procedures in absence of Telecommunications Coordinator or Director.
11. Maintain familiarity and responsible to implement a variety of disaster recovery plans in the event of equipment and/or system failures.
12. Assist Telecommunications department on special projects as needed.
13. Participates in the following:
Mandatory training requirements as per hospital/unit policies
Continuing education/inservices to enhance knowledge
Performance improvement initiatives
Orientation of new staff, students and/or volunteers
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES:
1. High school diploma preferred.
2. Typing skills essential – a minimum of 30 wpm utilizing a headset.
3. Previous customer service and answering service experience preferred.
4. Experience in a high stress inbound call center processing a large number of calls preferred.
5. Excellent communication speaking skills, hearing and speech articulation, along with accurate spelling.
6. Professional teamwork skills along with excellent customer relations and service skills.
7. Skill and ability to interact with various levels of management, physicians, and other medical related providers.
LICENSE, CERTIFICATION REQUIRED: None Required
LIFE SUPPORT CERTIFICATION REQUIRED: None Required
PHYSICAL, MENTAL AND VISUAL REQUIREMENTS:
1. Ability to be able to see and read the computer screen.
2. Ability to use computer.
3. Ability to communicate orally and in writing.
4. Ability to proofread documents and check for accuracy.
5. Ability to read and distinguish numbers and keypad locations.
6. Minimal physical effort required.
OSHA EXPOSURE: Job does not involve possible exposure to blood, body fluids or tissues.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP AND SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY:
1. Reports directly to the Telecommunications Coordinator.
2. Not responsible for supervising the work of others.
Beth Israel Lahey Health is an integrated system providing patients with better care wherever they are. Care informed by world-class research and education. We are doctors and nurses, technicians and social workers, innovators and educators, and so many others. All with a shared vision for what healthcare can and should be. We are committed to attracting, developing and retaining top talent. We strive to create a diverse and inclusive workplace that reflects the communities in which we work and serve. With a team approach to care, we encourage learning and growth at all levels and offer competitive salaries and benefits.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.