Location: Winchester, MA
Job ID: 163362-1A
Date Posted: Oct 8, 2020
Welcome to Winchester Hospital, part of Beth Israel Lahey Health. Winchester Hospital was the first hospital in Massachusetts to earn Magnet recognition, the American Nurses Association’s highest honor for nursing excellence, three times. It has since received the recognition a fourth time. As the northwest suburban Boston area’s leading provider of comprehensive health care services, the 229-bed facility provides care in general, bariatric and vascular surgery, orthopedics, pediatrics, cardiology, pulmonary medicine, oncology, gastroenterology, rehabilitation, radiation oncology, pain management, obstetrics/gynecology and a Level IIB Special Care Nursery.
About the Job
Contributes to the Hospital’s mission by providing support to the Health Information Management Department and by providing release of information and Birth Registry services. This position will have an impact on patients and other health information management customers by providing accurate and complete records in a timely manner and making every encounter with our patients, patients’ family, co-workers, physicians and other customers the best that it can be.
Required: High School Diploma required
· Knowledge of medical terminology.
· Knowledge of release of information according to federal and state guidelines, regulations and statutes concerning confidentiality and release of information.
· Excellent communication and customer service skills.
· At least two years medical records experience.
· Familiarity with use of microfilm/fiche machine
· At least two years medical record experience
· Knowledge of state guidelines related to Birth Certificates
· Notary Public
· For safety and quality reasons, must be able to read, write and communicate effectively in English with patients, visitors and fellow members of the hospital team.
LIFE SUPPORT CERTIFICATION REQUIRED: N/A
POPULATION SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS: N/A
OTHER JOB REQUIREMENTS:
On-call Requirement: N/A
· Business operation hours.
· Major holidays not required.
· Weekend coverage rotation required for Birth Registry.
Travel Requirements: Minimal and local travel may be required
· Reports to the Director of Health Information Management and Privacy Officer.
· Not responsible for supervising the work of others.
As part of the Health Information Management team (HIM), the Release of Information position:
· Analyzes requests and authorizations for release of health information from attorneys, insurance companies, patients, etc. Verifies patient information for accuracy and completeness.
· Accurately logs requests for information into the automated Release of Information module in Epic within 24 hours of receipt. Enters description of request and narrative comments
· Scans the requests for information appropriately into the patient’s medical record in Epic.
· Organizes workload to comply with deadlines and priorities.
· Abstracts accurate information from the medical record according to the type of request. Gathers information as necessary in order to complete the request. Obtains hospital certification of copies of the record if required.
· Understands and follows state and Federal laws and department policy whenever releasing protected health information. Uses appropriate reference materials when completing requests for confidential patient information.
· Review subpoenas for validity prior to acceptance. Obtains patient authorization as legally appropriate. Respond to subpoenas by return date.
· Seeks court order for all requests containing sensitive and/or privileged information
· Works with law enforcement when requested to accept search warrants. Notifies in house counsel immediately.
· Notifies hospital’s General Counsel for all subpoenas that include requests for sensitive information, allowing enough time for counsel to claim privilege in court.
· Assists in the coordination third party audits of medical records as necessary.
· Creates Inspector Key for onsite auditors reviewing medical records in Epic
· Able to confidently explain to customers HIPAA federal law and Massachusetts General Law 111 section 70 and their requirements and restrictions.
· Able to confidently explain to customers probate court procedures in order to name an administrator of a person’s estate.
· Assists patients and other third parties who are requesting access/view, requests for amendments, requests for an accounting of disclosure and requests to restrict protected health information.
· Escalates requests to management and/or legal counsel when necessary and as appropriate
· Responds to walk-in visitors for medical information as stated in the hospital policy.
· Coordinates schedules and prepares medical records for outside contract copying service to maintain timeliness of response to correspondence requests.
· Handles telephone requests for release of information according to department policy and procedure. Acts as receptionist for the department.
· Retrieves medical records for contract copying services.
· Provides duplication of microfiche/microfilmed medical records when necessary.
· Processes all incoming and outgoing mail. Retrieves incoming mail from the Mailroom at the hospital, sends to appropriate sections of department. Opens, prioritizes and distributes all incoming mail for release of information.
· Orders and maintains supplies for department on a weekly basis (McKay Site).
· Retrieves, copies, and coordinates delivery of medical records for various audits, Permidion (Medicaid), RAC (Medicare).
· Maintains release of information record pull area (McKay site) in a neat and organized manner.
The Birth Registrar
· Generates birth certificates and obtains required signatures.
· Submits the Birth Certificate electronically to the Town of Winchester and the Commonwealth of Massachusetts Registry of Vital Records and Statistics.
· Faxes required paperwork to the Registry of Vital Records and Statistics.
· Collaborates with the Town Clerk office at Winchester Town Hall regarding any discrepancies on the Birth Certificate.
· Submits correction letter of the Birth Certificates to the Town of Winchester upon request.
· Collaborates with parent(s) and staff on the mother baby unit to ensure accurate and complete paperwork.
· Coordinates directly with Lahey Legal,the patient’s attorney the Nurse Manager and Vital Statistics in the event of surrogacy for the completion of the Birth Certificate
· Reviews the mother and baby’s medical records in Epic to obtain required data for birth certificate completion.
· Inputs birth certificate parent and hospital worksheet data into the computerized birth registry database, Vitals Information Partnership (VIP).
· Provides a parent letter to parents, prior to their discharge.
· Maintains worksheets and reports for designated time frame.
· Reviews, and corrects any inaccuracies in the VIP database.
· Acts as the liaison between the Commonwealth of Massachusetts Registry of Vital Records and Statistics and Winchester Hospital regarding important. communications related to the Birth Certificate process.
· Reviews and corrects the data quality reports provided by the VIP database system. Reviews the patient’s medical record in Epic to obtain any missing or incorrect data
· Responds to request from parent(s)related to birth certificates and Commonwealth of Massachusetts Registry of Vital Records.
· Keeps abreast of the legal requirements in accordance with the MA State Law related to parentage pertaining to completion of the Birth Certificate.
· Notarizes required documents related to parentage.
· Updates the babies name in Epic to reflect the name on the Birth Certificate.
· Attends meetings sponsored by the Department of Public Health related to Birth Certificates.
8 hours, every other weekend.
Beth Israel Lahey Health is an integrated system providing patients with better care wherever they are. Care informed by world-class research and education. We are doctors and nurses, technicians and social workers, innovators and educators, and so many others. All with a shared vision for what healthcare can and should be. We are committed to attracting, developing and retaining top talent. We strive to create a diverse and inclusive workplace that reflects the communities in which we work and serve. With a team approach to care, we encourage learning and growth at all levels and offer competitive salaries and benefits.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.