Welcome to Lahey Hospital & Medical Center, part of Beth Israel Lahey Health. Lahey Hospital & Medical Center is a world-renowned tertiary medical center known for its innovative technology, pioneering medical treatment and leading-edge research. A teaching hospital of Tufts University School of Medicine, the hospital provides quality health care in virtually every specialty and subspecialty, from primary care to cancer diagnosis and treatment to kidney and liver transplantation. It is a national leader in a number of health care areas, including stroke, weight management and lung screenings, among many others. Lahey also helps to advance medicine through research and the education of tomorrow's health care leaders.
About the Job
Position Summary: Under the general direction of the Division Chair and the Administrative Director, performs a variety of administrative tasks in support of the mission and goals of the division, encompassing multiple clinical departments. Is routinely exposed to and works with highly confidential divisional, budgetary, strategic, medical and staff information. Provides functional guidance to other administrative staff and is responsible for the HR function as it applies to the same. Exercises independent judgment and decision making within the scope of the job. Possesses and applies above average proficiency and facility in the use of word processing, spreadsheets, and creation/editing of presentations. Serves as the primary point of contact and access for the Division Chair.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities including but not limited to:
- Administrative Supervision
- Provides functional guidance to other administrative staff, including oversight for day-to-day activity, and acting as a resource to staff as needed.
- Coordinates and monitors staffing assignments, levels, and scheduling of administrative staff to ensure efficient operation and appropriate coverage.
- Participates in and significantly contributes to the HR function for the department(s), including recruitment and hiring, orientation of new staff, employee relations, training needs assessment and fulfillment, performance appraisal, competence assessment, mandatory education, and other organizational requirements as appropriate.
- Reviews requests for time away, and approves or denies as appropriate, ensuring adequate coverage for the efficient operation of the department(s).
- Coordinates and facilitates regular administrative staff meetings; ensures that agenda and minutes are complete and forwarded to the Division Chair and/or Administrative Director as appropriate.
- Monitors and ensures that administrative staff and support areas are operating within budget constraints.
- Administrative Support to the Division Chair
- Works in concert with the Division Chair and Administrative Director to ensure that relevant department objectives are clearly communicated and executed.
- Empowered to control access to and maintenance of the internal and external professional schedule(s) of the Division Chair.
- Alerts the Division Chair to changes in schedule, and plans ahead for contingencies.
- Coordinates meetings as required, including securing meeting space, notifying attendees, arranging for audio-visual resources, and tracking attendance.
- Makes travel and lodging arrangements for the Division Chair.
- Accesses or otherwise keeps abreast of the schedules of Department Chairs reporting to the Division Chair.
- As directed by the Division Chair, may gather departmental and divisional data and create, format, and compile reports. Sets up and maintains electronic and paper files to meet department and Chair needs.
- Completes special assignments and supports Clinic-wide initiatives at the direction of the Division Chair.
- Screens incoming phone calls, inquiries, visitors and correspondence, and routes accordingly.
- Assists Division Chair with relevant aspects of divisional Budget as directed.
- Confidential Information:
- On a need to know basis has routine exposure and access to highly confidential information related to division budget, strategic plans, medical information, and confidential staff and leadership information.
- Processes paperwork and maintains staff files that may include payroll data, time away, performance ratings, and documented disciplinary action.
- Correspondence/Word Processing:
- Composes, edits, and proof reads a variety of correspondence, reports, meeting minutes, and forms.
- Utilizes presentation software to assist Division Chair with creation and editing of presentations.
- Monitors and maintains all rosters and department/divisional lists.
- Organizational Requirements:
- Maintains strict adherence to the Lahey Clinic Confidentiality Policy.
- Incorporates Lahey Clinic Guiding Principles , Mission Statement and Goals into daily activities.
- Complies with all Lahey Clinic Policies. Complies with behavioral expectations of the department and Lahey Clinic.
- Maintains courteous and effective interactions with colleagues and patients.
- Demonstrates an understanding of the job description, performance expectations, and competency assessment.
- Demonstrates a commitment toward meeting and exceeding the needs of our customers and consistently adheres to Customer Service standards.
- Participates in departmental and/or interdepartmental quality improvement activities.
- Participates in and successfully completes Mandatory Education.
- Performs all other duties as needed or directed to meet the needs of the department.
Education: Work requires a level of knowledge normally acquired through the completion of a Bachelor’s degree or specialized training in administrative and/or office services.
Licensure, Certification, Registration: Not required.
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities:
- Thoroughly proficient in use of a personal computer, including word processing, spreadsheets, presentations, databases, electronic scheduling software, e-mail, and accessing information on the Internet.
- Proficient in written and oral communication; able to compose and/or edit memoranda on behalf of the Chair.
- Ability to work with and hold as confidential highly sensitive information including personnel, budget, disciplinary action, and strategic information relating to all staff.
- Effective Supervisory skills.
- Thoroughly proficient in project management.
- Ability to use independent thinking to solve problems and anticipate needs.
- Ability to effectively interface with all high level individuals and to represent the Chair and the department(s) in a highly professioinal manner.
- Ability to work indepently and to achieve results as part of a team.
- Exceptional organizational skills with the ability to set priorities, manage multiple projects and meet project deadlines.
- Ability to exercise tact and diplomacy.
- In the absence of any of these skills, demonstrates the ability to be thoroughly trained to meet organizational standards.
Experience: Minimum of 5 years administrative support to one or more executives in a comparable healthcare setting.
Beth Israel Lahey Health is an integrated system providing patients with better care wherever they are. Care informed by world-class research and education. We are doctors and nurses, technicians and social workers, innovators and educators, and so many others. All with a shared vision for what healthcare can and should be. We are committed to attracting, developing and retaining top talent. We strive to create a diverse and inclusive workplace that reflects the communities in which we work and serve. With a team approach to care, we encourage learning and growth at all levels and offer competitive salaries and benefits.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.