Welcome to Lahey Hospital & Medical Center, part of Beth Israel Lahey Health. Lahey Hospital & Medical Center is a world-renowned tertiary medical center known for its innovative technology, pioneering medical treatment and leading-edge research. A teaching hospital of Tufts University School of Medicine, the hospital provides quality health care in virtually every specialty and subspecialty, from primary care to cancer diagnosis and treatment to kidney and liver transplantation. It is a national leader in a number of health care areas, including stroke, weight management and lung screenings, among many others. Lahey also helps to advance medicine through research and the education of tomorrow's health care leaders.
About the Job
Under the direction of the nurse manager the Neurosurgey Service Line Leader is responsible and accountable for optimizing available resources while independently and collaboratively assessing, planning, implementing and evaluating the care of the surgical patient. The Neurosurgery Service Line Leader is responsible for providing leadership, clinical education, clinical expertise and functional direction to other members of the health care team to achieve optimal patient outcomes.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities including but not limited to:
- Collaborates with other disciplines to facilitate the delivery of patient care.
- Ensures appropriate equipment and instrumentation are available for scheduled surgeries on day of surgery
- Assures that important processes and activities are identified, measured, assessed and systematically evaluates and monitors the processes.
- Communicates effectively and professionally both verbally and in writing.
- Establishes and maintains good working relationships with colleagues, management, customers and visitors.
- Demonstrates effective teamwork skills by sharing information and encouraging input from other members of the team.
- Promotes the use of current research findings and current literature in patient care.
- Provides ANM/NM with input for staff annual performance appraisals.
- Evaluates the effectiveness of education and performance of clinical skills of team members.
- Provides staff education in area of expertise.
- Functions as expert resource for service specific equipment and instrumentation
- Collaborates with Clinical Educator to provide opportunities for staff development required for their role, leadership and continued professional development.
- In collaboration with the Clinical Educator will assure all orientation, annual competencies and new technology and training for all staff within their areas of expertise as defined by the needs of the service coordinators.
- Incorporates evidence based practice into patient care activities.
- Works in collaboration with the surgeon to maintain technical skills and appropriate equipment available for surgical procedures.
- Contributes to the advancement of nursing practice in the perioperative role.
- Practice in accordance with AORN Standards of Practice.
- Practices in a manner consistent with the MA Nurse Practice Act and Code of Ethics for Nurses.
- Participates in professional organization and attain CNOR status.
- Evaluates quality of practice in relation to established professional and legal standards.
- In the absence of ANM assumes the role of charge nurse
- Works in collaboration with the Pyxis manager and team to identify opportunities and issues
Education: BSN Preferred. Knowledge of nursing theory and practice acquired through completion of an accredited program of professional nursing in order to be eligible for licensure as a Registered Nurse.
Licensure, Certification, Registration: Must possess current Commonwealth of Massachusetts license as a Registered Nurse and active BLS or ACLS from American Heart Association or American Red Cross
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities: In the absence of any of these skills, demonstrates the ability to be thoroughly trained to meet organizational standards.Experience: Requires 5 years of perioperative nursing experience necessary to acquire and effectively utilize knowledge of unit and department policies and procedures, and to fulfill quality and quantity standards for the job
40 Hours Days-No Call
Beth Israel Lahey Health is an integrated system providing patients with better care wherever they are. Care informed by world-class research and education. We are doctors and nurses, technicians and social workers, innovators and educators, and so many others. All with a shared vision for what healthcare can and should be. We are committed to attracting, developing and retaining top talent. We strive to create a diverse and inclusive workplace that reflects the communities in which we work and serve. With a team approach to care, we encourage learning and growth at all levels and offer competitive salaries and benefits.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.