Welcome to Lahey Health Primary Care. With over 55 primary care practices in more than 30 nearby communities , our primary care physicians and care teams provide quality close to where our patients live or work. We have a team approach to patient care and have developed long-standing, mutually respectful relationships with local specialists at our affiliate hospitals to guide and support the most effective and efficient patient care. As part of the Beth Israel Lahey Health system, we now have the opportunity to care for even more individuals across eastern Massachusetts.
About the Job
GENERAL SUMMARY: According to established policies and procedures, provides scheduling, general secretarial and administrative support for Surgeons in Surgical Specialty Practices. Meets with patients to schedule surgery,pre op and post op appointments, analyzes block booking data to maximize usage, coordinates surgical and practice schedules, communicates with the OR staff to ensure all paperwork is processed in a timely manner, schedules equipment needed and additional resources needed for surgical procedures, obtains prior authorizations for surgical procedures and processes billing of patient charges. Supports the practice in various administrative functions.
- Exemplifies Winchester Hospital’s values and Service Excellence standards. Commits to making every encounter with our patients, patients’ family, co-workers, physicians and other customers the best that it can be.
- Complies with all Winchester Hospital policies and the Code of Business Conduct. Takes responsibility for own safety as well as the safety of patients, patients’ family, co-workers, physicians and other customers.
- Performs all duties of Surgical Specialty Practice Surgical Scheduler.
- Coordinates scheduling of surgical procedures for the Surgical Specialty Practice. Reviews, analyzes and modifies scheduling blocks to incorporate changes recommended by the OR Committee
- Meets with patients to schedule surgery, coordinates date and time with patient, surgeon and OR.
- Submits OR case request forms electronically and by paper via fax as required by hospital processes.
- Maintains copies of all surgical case requests organized by surgeon and date to ensure optimal patient care and work flow.
- Process prior authorizations for surgical procedures when required by insurance.
- Obtains referrals for surgical procedures and office visits when required.
- Schedules patients for pre admission testing.
- Schedules necessary equipment for scheduled surgical procedures with sales representatives.
- Schedules necessary second surgeon or assist surgeon, coordinating with various surgical practices and the OR.
- Schedules post op testing and appointments as required.
- Creates reports, spreadsheets, and statistics to assist in analyzing block time utilization by surgeon or specialty and report to Practice Coordinator.
- Tracks release of allocated block time, cancellation reports, and surgeon utilization reports (individually and group). Makes recommendations to Medical Director and Practice Coordinator for block time review by the OR Committee.
- Maintains procedure dictionary and updates data including new personnel, special equipment and new procedures.
- Acts as a liaison with IS for Epic system upgrades and staff/provider concerns or questions.
- Performs routine administrative tasks necessary.
- Promotes communications and problem solving with OR team and providers regarding scheduling of surgical cases.
- Participates in the following:
- Mandatory training requirements as per practice policies
- Continuing education/inservices to enhance knowledge
- Staff meetings
- Performance improvement initiatives
- Orientation of new staff, students and/or volunteers
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- High School Diploma required.
- At least three years of work experience in an administrative support job.
- Experience in surgical scheduling in a surgical practice or hospital OR preferred.
- Basic medical terminology and working knowledge of electronic medical record systems.
LICENSE, CERTIFICATION REQUIRED: None Required
LIFE SUPPORT CERTIFICATION REQUIRED: None Required
DAYS/ FULL-TIME/ 40 HOURS/ WOBURN
Beth Israel Lahey Health is an integrated system providing patients with better care wherever they are. Care informed by world-class research and education. We are doctors and nurses, technicians and social workers, innovators and educators, and so many others. All with a shared vision for what healthcare can and should be. We are committed to attracting, developing and retaining top talent. We strive to create a diverse and inclusive workplace that reflects the communities in which we work and serve. With a team approach to care, we encourage learning and growth at all levels and offer competitive salaries and benefits.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.