This job posting is no longer active.
Location: Medford, MA
Job ID: 162774-1A
Date Posted: Oct 27, 2020
Welcome to Winchester Hospital, part of Beth Israel Lahey Health. Winchester Hospital was the first hospital in Massachusetts to earn Magnet recognition, the American Nurses Association’s highest honor for nursing excellence, three times. It has since received the recognition a fourth time. As the northwest suburban Boston area’s leading provider of comprehensive health care services, the 229-bed facility provides care in general, bariatric and vascular surgery, orthopedics, pediatrics, cardiology, pulmonary medicine, oncology, gastroenterology, rehabilitation, radiation oncology, pain management, obstetrics/gynecology and a Level IIB Special Care Nursery.
About the Job
JOB SUMMARY: Contributes to the Hospital’s mission by providing administrative and secretarial support to a department and its leadership team. This position has the potential of impacting all of the Hospital’s goals by providing high quality administrative assistance to assist the department and leaders in operating efficiently.
Required: High School Diploma or equivalent
Preferred: One year of secretarial or other advance schooling
· 3 years of previous administrative support/secretarial experience
· Proficient computer skills using Microsoft Office
· Analytical ability to gather and interpret data in situations where the information or problems are not overly difficult or complex.
· Excellent typing and editing skills
· Able to exchange factual information, schedule appointments, greet visitors, explain Hospital policies, and relay messages to appropriate personnel.
· Communicates effectively with tact and empathy while conveying the message clearly and concisely.
· Able to maintain HIPPA confidentiality and professionalism, representing the department and its leaders professionally within the Hospital and externally.
· For safety and quality reasons, must be able to read, write and communicate effectively in English with patients, visitors and fellow members of the hospital team.
· Able to produce signature-ready materials with minimal direction.
LIFE SUPPORT CERTIFICATION REQUIRED: N/A
POPULATION SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS: N/A
OTHER JOB REQUIREMENTS:
Schedule requirements: Occasional schedule variations may be required to meet deadlines and complete special projects.
Travel requirements: Based on department needs.
· Reports to Director(s) or Associate Director(s)
· Not responsible for supervising the work of others.
As part of the Winchester Hospital team, this position:
· Types correspondence, reports, charts, tables, contracts, manuscripts and records with some direction and guidance. May be expected to take minutes or dictation. Proofreads and edits materials for grammar, punctuation or spelling.
· Posts information to records and logs. Produces excel documents. May maintain department score cards or reports.
· Maintains data in Excel spreadsheets and/or department specific databases.
· Receives and screens visitors and telephone calls.
o Notifies appropriate personnel or records messages.
o Handles basic calls, answering policy or basic questions as appropriate.
o Handles patient or other complaints, attempting to apply the RELATE method, diffusing the situation or collecting pertinent information to escalate the concern.
· Orders office supplies to maintain department inventory and for special projects. Monitors budget to ensure that the department office supply expense is within budget.
· Makes routine travel arrangements as directed.
· Prepares receipts and invoices for payment and obtains appropriate authorization. Upon request, investigates invoice discrepancies.
· Opens, sorts, records and distributes mail.
· Maintains department calendar. Schedules meetings and appointments. Assists department and leadership in utilizing Microsoft calendar to optimize efficiency and clarify availability and schedule requirements.
· Researches basic issues for department leadership or in service to the department.
· Prepares, records and distributes meeting agendas, reminders and minutes.
· Maintains department files
· Provides administrative back-up to other administrative staff as necessary.
· May function as the initial department contact for equipment problems.
· Performs other administrative and clerical duties for the leaders and department to ensure efficient department operations.
· Organizes work load to comply with deadlines and priorities established by leaders and/or department procedures.
· May assist the leadership team in monitoring and reconciling staff schedules and time cards:
o May have access to staffs’ schedules and may edit under direction of the supervisor.
o May review time cards against the schedules. Edits department and job codes to agree with schedule. Processes green sheets and follows up with staff to process corrections.
o May run reports as requested by the supervisors.
Full time, 40 hours.
Beth Israel Lahey Health is an integrated system providing patients with better care wherever they are. Care informed by world-class research and education. We are doctors and nurses, technicians and social workers, innovators and educators, and so many others. All with a shared vision for what healthcare can and should be. We are committed to attracting, developing and retaining top talent. We strive to create a diverse and inclusive workplace that reflects the communities in which we work and serve. With a team approach to care, we encourage learning and growth at all levels and offer competitive salaries and benefits.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.