Location: Winchester, MA
Job ID: 162984-1A
Date Posted: Aug 28, 2020
Category: Clinical Professional
Welcome to Winchester Hospital, part of Beth Israel Lahey Health. Winchester Hospital was the first hospital in Massachusetts to earn Magnet recognition, the American Nurses Association’s highest honor for nursing excellence, three times. It has since received the recognition a fourth time. As the northwest suburban Boston area’s leading provider of comprehensive health care services, the 229-bed facility provides care in general, bariatric and vascular surgery, orthopedics, pediatrics, cardiology, pulmonary medicine, oncology, gastroenterology, rehabilitation, radiation oncology, pain management, obstetrics/gynecology and a Level IIB Special Care Nursery.
About the Job
JOB SUMMARY: Contributes to the Hospital’s mission by delivering respiratory services as part of the multidisciplinary clinical team, This clinical staff position will have an impact on improving quality and safety and patient satisfaction by providing accurate and thorough respiratory services to the patients at every encounter.
Required: Associates of Science degree in Respiratory Care
Preferred: Six months experience as a Respiratory Therapist in an acute care setting
Required: For safety and quality reasons, must be able to read, write and communicate effectively in English with patients, visitors, and fellow members of the hospital team
· Basic computer skills
· Acute Care Respiratory experience
FMC – Experience in Pulmonary Rehab
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS, CERTIFICATIONS:
· Valid State of Massachusetts Registered Therapist License
· Registered Respiratory Therapist credential
LIFE SUPPORT CERTIFICATION REQUIRED:
Hospital - BLS
FMC - ACLS
POPULATION SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS:
Hospital: Neonates, Infants, Children, Adolescents, Adults, Geriatrics
FMC: Adolescents, Adults, Geriatrics
OTHER JOB REQUIREMENTS:
Professional Commitment Requirements: Keep abreast of developments in the field and/or licensure through continuing education, participation in professional organizations or a combination of both
Schedule requirements: Weekend and holiday rotation
Travel requirements: N/A
· Reports to:
o At the Hospital – the Supervisor of Respiratory Therapy
o At FMC – the Program Coordinator
· Not responsible for supervising the work of others. May oversee limited permit staff
As part of the Respiratory team, the Respiratory Therapist:
· Provides respiratory care to assigned patients by conducting a physical assessment which includes vital signs, breath sounds and general appearance.
· Delivers respiratory medications to the patient as prescribed by physician orders.
· Responds to medical emergencies such as “Code 99” and rapid response team calls.
· Initiates non-invasive and invasive mechanical ventilation on patients with the intent to support the patient through their acute illness with the goal to slowly remove the patients from the supportive devise.
· Conducts arterial blood gases by drawing blood on the patient, analyzes the results and making recommendations to appropriate clinician.
· Documents patient assessment, treatments and interaction in the electronic medical records system.
· Assists with airway management such as suctioning, chest physical therapy and intubating, and extubating patients.
· Assists limited permit staff with duties that require a licensure. Provides guidance, direction and co-signatures as appropriate.
· Cleans, sets up and performs safety checks for all applicable respiratory equipment; when appropriate coordinates with Central Sterile Management to do so. Maintains a clean and safe work environment to enhance patient satisfaction and a culture of safety. Responds to supply/equipment issues in a timely manner to ensure availability of equipment and to maximize its useful life.
DEPARTMENT SPECIFIC JOB FUNCTIONS
FMC – Services outpatients only in a rehab setting.
· The work performed at this location does not involve: bedside work, critical care, emergency room and/or pediatric care.
· Coordinates and manages the care of pulmonary rehab patients from first point of contact thru patient’s discharge
· Collaborates with multi-discipline team to provide pulmonary rehab services to patients
· Develops and maintains an individualized treatment plan for each pulmonary rehab patient in collaboration with the Medical Director.
· Provides extensive patient education, monitors vital signs during exercise and monitors patient progress toward exercise goals.
· Completes a daily patient exercise report as well as multi-session and discharge reports.
· Serves as Pulmonary Rehab Liaison for Winchester Hospital’s Pulmonary Rehab program
Employee Health and Infection Prevention: Performs respiratory fit tests on staff.
36 hours, nights.
Beth Israel Lahey Health is an integrated system providing patients with better care wherever they are. Care informed by world-class research and education. We are doctors and nurses, technicians and social workers, innovators and educators, and so many others. All with a shared vision for what healthcare can and should be. We are committed to attracting, developing and retaining top talent. We strive to create a diverse and inclusive workplace that reflects the communities in which we work and serve. With a team approach to care, we encourage learning and growth at all levels and offer competitive salaries and benefits.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.