This job posting is no longer active.
Location: Gloucester, MA
Job ID: 162275-1A
Date Posted: Aug 14, 2020
Welcome to Lahey Health Urgent Care, part of Beth Israel Lahey Health. Lahey Health’s Urgent Care centers provide convenient and affordable quality care close to home. Our staff, specially-trained in emergency, family, or urgent care medicine, includes board-certified physicians, nurse practitioners, registered nurses, radiology technologists and certified medical assistants. We know urgent medical situations often happen unexpectedly, so Lahey Health Urgent Care centers are here when you need us, open daily on a walk-in basis or also by appointment within 24 hours. We diagnose and treat non-life threatening illnesses, infections and injuries. Our centers include also include on-site lab and X-ray services.
About the Job
Position Summary: Under general supervision of the department supervisor and/or manager, and following established
procedures, performs a variety of tasks associated with the registration, scheduling, and collection of critical billing
information for patients utilizing the clinic. In order to qualify for this role, the Registration & Scheduling Specialist
must do all of the following: attend and successfully complete the defined training program, earn a passing grade on the
post test and achieve “certification”, demonstrate proficiency in all aspects of the job, and spend at least 85% of their time
working at Lahey functioning as the Registration & Scheduling Specialist. Under the general supervison of the Director
(or designee) and within established hospital, clinic, and departmental policies and procedures, is certified (tested) as a
"Specialist" by Lahey Clinic and performs all of the following activies: face-to-face patient registration and scheduling of
follow-up visits; extensive and correct use of Meditech to ensure that payors are correctly billed for timely and full
reimbursement; insurance verification; some degree of financial counseling for non-covered patients; accurate processing
of patient copayments.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities including but not limited to:
1. Registers all new and established outpatients upon arrival, verifying, collecting, and updating required information
where needed. Is held accountable for collecting and data-entering information with high degree of accuracy.
2. Statuses all appointments at the time of check-in. Confirms that all appointments are statused by the end of the
business day to ensure that all appointments may have appropriate charges posted. Enters all future appointment
requests and indicates patient preferences or exclusions for dates and/or times. Schedules multiple appointments in
the proper sequence and within appropriate time frames.
3. Successfully navigate Meditech to determine and enter appropriate accounts for maximum financial reimbursement
by 3 rd party insurance carriers.
4. Collect and process patient payments and co-payments in accordance with established cash handling procedures and
Lahey Clinic guidelines.
5. Verifies insurance coverage using Point of Service (POS) device, batch technology, or direct input from patient. In
the absence of insurance coverage set up as "self pay" in Meditech; advise patient of self-pay guidelines, and obtains
signed waivers for inactive insurance coverage and/or no referral status.
6. Administers MSP Survey to all Medicare patients, in accordance with Medicare and Lahey Clinic guidelines.
7. Identifies all visits associated with Worker's Compensation or a Motor Vehicle Accident (MVA) for more timely
and accurate billing.
8. Triages all appointments to appropriate resource.
9. Escalates questions/issues to approprate resources in order to facilitate access and patient/provider satisfaction.
Incorporates Lahey Clinic Guiding Principles , Mission Statement and Goals into daily activities.
Complies with all Lahey Clinic Policies.
1) Complies with behavioral expectations of the department and Lahey Clinic.
2) Maintains courteous and effective interactions with colleagues and patients.
3) Demonstrates an understanding of the job description, performance expectations, and competency assessment.
524001, 524101, Registration & Scheduling Specialist (con’t) Page - 2 –
Edition date: November 2, 2005
4) Demonstrates a commitment toward meeting and exceeding the needs of our customers and consistently adheres to Customer
5) Participates in departmental and/or interdepartmental quality improvement activities.
6) Participates in and successfully completes Mandatory Education.
7) Performs all other duties as needed or directed to meet the needs of the department.
Licensure, Certification, Registration:
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities: In the absence of any of these skills, demonstrates the ability to be thoroughly trained to
meet organizational standards.
VARIABLE Urgent Care 40 hours.
Beth Israel Lahey Health is an integrated system providing patients with better care wherever they are. Care informed by world-class research and education. We are doctors and nurses, technicians and social workers, innovators and educators, and so many others. All with a shared vision for what healthcare can and should be. We are committed to attracting, developing and retaining top talent. We strive to create a diverse and inclusive workplace that reflects the communities in which we work and serve. With a team approach to care, we encourage learning and growth at all levels and offer competitive salaries and benefits.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.