Location: Winchester, MA
Job ID: 162122-1A
Date Posted: Jul 6, 2020
Category: Clinical Professional
Welcome to Winchester Hospital, part of Beth Israel Lahey Health. Winchester Hospital was the first hospital in Massachusetts to earn Magnet recognition, the American Nurses Association’s highest honor for nursing excellence, three times. It has since received the recognition a fourth time. As the northwest suburban Boston area’s leading provider of comprehensive health care services, the 229-bed facility provides care in general, bariatric and vascular surgery, orthopedics, pediatrics, cardiology, pulmonary medicine, oncology, gastroenterology, rehabilitation, radiation oncology, pain management, obstetrics/gynecology and a Level IIB Special Care Nursery.
About the Job
JOB SUMMARY: Contributes to the Hospital’s mission by providing operational guidance and daily oversight of the Radiology Special Procedures program and assisting radiologists with interventional procedures requiring sterile technique to produce specialized imaging. This position will have an impact on quality, safety, the patient experience and physician satisfaction.
Required: Graduate of a two year program in Radiologic Technology and/or appropriate training to obtain licensure
Required: At least one year’s experience in special procedures
Preferred: Supervisory and scheduling experience
Required: For safety and quality reasons, must be able to read, write and communicate effectively in English with patients, visitors and fellow members of the hospital team
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS, CERTIFICATIONS:
Required: American Registry of Radiologic Technologists (ARRT) registration and ARRT registered in cardiovascular technology required plus possess a Massachusetts Radiologic Technologist license
LIFE SUPPORT CERTIFICATION REQUIRED: Basic Life Support
POPULATION SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS: Neonates, Infants, Children, Adolescents, Adults, Geriatrics
OTHER JOB REQUIREMENTS:
On-call: Rotation is required to ensure 24/7 coverage
Schedule requirements: May be expected to rotate to various shifts
Travel requirements: As necessary for on-call
· Reports to the Day Supervisor of Radiology
· Not an official supervisor of others. This role is expected to provide performance feedback and address day-to-day issues in the absence of the supervisor
As part of the Radiology team, the Lead Special Procedures Technologist:
· Builds and maintains a staffing plan in the scheduling system that is fair, efficient and fiscally prudent.
· Reviews payroll of staff Interventional Technologists for accuracy. This person is the back-up payroll approver in the absence of the Supervisor.
· Oversees the supplies for the area, ensuring adequate supplies at all times given limited storage space. May make recommendations on new supplies and equipment for the area.
· Exemplifies the PROMISE behaviors, acting as a role model to the other staff.
· Provides day-to-day performance feedback to employees directly if appropriate and to the Supervisor as needed. Provides input into annual performance evaluations.
· Acts as the liaison between the staff and the physicians and/or the Radiology leadership, providing insight on and recommendations about employee relations, clinical and operational issues.
· Demonstrates clinical expertise in the assigned area and fosters a climate of clinical and professional excellence.
· Precepts and mentors staff so to expand their knowledge and competence in special procedures, operations and processes.
· Takes the lead on preparing for accreditation submission and audits as required.
· Assist the Radiologist in performing various interventional procedures.
· Set up the room, equipment and patient utilizing optimal sterile technique based on the procedure protocol and the Radiologist’s preferences.
· As member of the interventional team participates in assigned role to collaboratively provide the best possible patient care from pre-procedure to post procedure.
· Maintains appropriate documentation about the patient, procedure, and supplies.
· Greets, escorts, assesses, educates and identifies patients making the patients feel welcomed and comfortable and fulfilling all safety and quality checks, including verifying exam orders.
· Performs exams utilizing ALARA standards (As Low as Reasonably Acceptable).
· Enters examinations correctly, ensuring accurate and informative documentation and appropriate charges are entered.
· Electronically sends and stores images and data appropriately in PACS.
· Maintains all department records and logs to monitor quality and safety in accordance with departmental policies.
· Maintains a clean and safe work environment presenting the best possible impression of facilities and fostering our culture of safety.
· Responds to supply and equipment issues timely to ensure optimum operations and equipment quality and long-term equipment maintenance and life.
· Transports and provides ambulatory assistance to patients as necessary.
· Minimizes preventable harm events and consistently executes the infection control protocols. Incorporates the Culture of Safety tools in daily practice, adhering to quality and safety guidelines and communicating near-miss or potential risks.
·· It is anticipated that the employee will have contact with blood or other potentially infectious materials while performing their job duties.
· Requires working in an area in which there is exposure to radiation.
· At a minimum the employee needs to be able to lift up to about 25 pounds, stand, walk, push, pull, and reach.
· Must be able to wear lead apron for prolonged periods of time.
Full time, 40 hours.
Beth Israel Lahey Health is an integrated system providing patients with better care wherever they are. Care informed by world-class research and education. We are doctors and nurses, technicians and social workers, innovators and educators, and so many others. All with a shared vision for what healthcare can and should be. We are committed to attracting, developing and retaining top talent. We strive to create a diverse and inclusive workplace that reflects the communities in which we work and serve. With a team approach to care, we encourage learning and growth at all levels and offer competitive salaries and benefits.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.