Location: Winchester, MA
Job ID: 162026-1A
Date Posted: Jan 20, 2021
Welcome to Winchester Hospital, part of Beth Israel Lahey Health. Winchester Hospital was the first hospital in Massachusetts to earn Magnet recognition, the American Nurses Association’s highest honor for nursing excellence, three times. It has since received the recognition a fourth time. As the northwest suburban Boston area’s leading provider of comprehensive health care services, the 229-bed facility provides care in general, bariatric and vascular surgery, orthopedics, pediatrics, cardiology, pulmonary medicine, oncology, gastroenterology, rehabilitation, radiation oncology, pain management, obstetrics/gynecology and a Level IIB Special Care Nursery.
About the Job
GENERAL SUMMARY: According to general directions, performs varied secretarial and administrative duties such as composing and typing complex correspondence, relaying confidential information, gathering and interpreting information to develop complex reports, maintaining departmental files, assisting in monitoring departmental budgets and serving as the customer service liaison between the Hospital and various important external constituent groups including the media, corporators, legislators and board members.
1. Exemplifies Winchester Hospital’s values and Service Excellence standards. Commits to making every encounter with our patients, patients’ family, co-workers, physicians and other customers the best that it can be.
2. Complies with all Winchester Hospital policies and the Code of Business Conduct. Takes responsibility for own safety as well as the safety of patients, patients’ family,
co-workers, physicians and other customers.
3. Composes and types correspondence according to supervisor's directions. Composes and types memos, forms, charts, tables, records, reports, and manuscripts from rough draft, machine dictation or shorthand. Proofreads and edits final draft materials for accuracy, consistency and clarity, and submits to supervisor for signature.
4. Authorizes expenditures for office supplies, standard department inventory, travel and so forth after ensuring same are consistent with Hospital policies and departmental budgets. Accepts receipts and invoices for expenditures, gathers necessary support information and prepares for supervisor's authorization.
5. Utilizes knowledge of a variety of Hospital policies and procedures in order to gather and interpret data and information. Types confidential and sensitive reports, contracts and records.
6. Assists in monitoring departmental budgets and accounts by gathering appropriate reports and records, identifying and resolving errors and discrepancies, and so forth.
7. Recommends appropriate changes in office procedures, filing and record keeping systems in order to improve efficiency, productivity, and cost effectiveness.
8. Obtains and relays information by arranging meetings and conferences, setting up appointments, researching problems for supervisor and so forth. Frequently relays highly sensitive and confidential information.
9. Receives, reviews and distributes mail. Responds to routine inquiries for information.
10. Monitors levels of and orders office supplies. Participates in evaluating and recommending purchase of office equipment. Monitors equipment service contracts.
11. Participates in the following:
a. Mandatory training requirements as per unit/hospital policies
b. Continuing education/inservices to enhance knowledge
c. Staff meetings
d Performance improvement initiatives
e. Orientation of new staff, students and/or volunteers
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
1. High School diploma and one year of secretarial school or equivalent preferred.
2. At least five years of previous work experience required.
3. Knowledge of Microsoft Office including Outlook, Word, Excel and Power Point.
4. Work requires the analytical ability to gather and interpret data in situations where
the information or problems are not overly difficult or complex.
5. Work requires the ability to exchange information on factual matters, schedule appointments, greet visitors, explain Hospital policies, and/or relay messages to appropriate personnel. This type of interaction requires courtesy and tact when dealing with patients, visitors and/or Hospital employees.
6. Exceptional customer service skills.
LICENSE, CERTIFICATION REQUIRED: None Required
AGE SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS: Not Applicable
PHYSICAL, MENTAL, AND VISUAL REQUIREMENTS:
1. Ability to communicate in writing and orally.
2. Ability to proofread and check documents for accuracy.
3. Ability to enter words and data into a computer or similar device.
OSHA EXPOSURE: Job does not involve possible exposure to blood, body fluids, or tissues.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP AND SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY:
1. Reports to the Department Director.
2. Not responsible for supervising the work of others
Beth Israel Lahey Health is an integrated system providing patients with better care wherever they are. Care informed by world-class research and education. We are doctors and nurses, technicians and social workers, innovators and educators, and so many others. All with a shared vision for what healthcare can and should be. We are committed to attracting, developing and retaining top talent. We strive to create a diverse and inclusive workplace that reflects the communities in which we work and serve. With a team approach to care, we encourage learning and growth at all levels and offer competitive salaries and benefits.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.