Welcome to Lahey Health Continuing Care, part of Beth Israel Lahey Health. Our team provides ongoing care to individuals through our assisted living and skilled nursing facilities. Our teams of nurses, aides, food service, and environmental service employees work to create an environment that supports the physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual needs of our residents and patients, along with their families.
About the Job
Position Summary: Is responsible for managing and directing the Food Service Department in accordance with current state and local regulations and The Herrick House policies and procedures. Reviews dietary requirements of residents and ensures these needs are met. Assists in the purchasing and the ordering of food, supplies and equipment. Plans and assists in preparation of special meals, party menus and special event menus. Assists with food preparation and dining room service as necessary.
Essential Job Functions
The employee must be able to perform these essential functions with or without reasonable accommodation by The Herrick House without posing a direct threat to himself, herself or others.
- Responsible for overseeing that the Food Services Department operates in accordance with state and local regulations and The Herrick House policies and procedures
- Responds appropriately in a timely manner to any deficiencies noted by any state or local agencies
- Determines adequate staffing needs and develops a work schedule for members of the Food Service Department
- Advertises for, interviews and hires food service staff
- Develops, implements and maintains an effective department orientation program for kitchen staff and wait staff
- Submits department specific orientation for newly hired employees to the Business Office within one (1) month of hire
- Assures the food services staff members are knowledgeable of all facets of residents’ rights and assisted living
- Assists with marketing of the residence as needed, providing tours to include an explanation of occupancy procedures
- Attends morning report on a daily basis
- Participates in the Manager on Duty Program
- Is a positive, constructive team member
- Performs weekly timekeeping duties for self and Food Services Department
- Assumes responsibility for the completion of all food service staff performance appraisals and submits them to the Executive Director in a timely fashion
- Meets with the appropriate food service personnel as needed to identify or correct problem areas and/or improvements of services
- Assumes responsibility for the development and oversight of the daily and weekly cleaning schedules
- Is Serv-Safe certified and follows guidelines as established by Serv-Safe for food preparation
- Submits annual food service satisfaction survey to residents and achieves a score of 90% or greater on the survey
- Ensures that staff are appropriately dressed (i.e., name tag, neat and in full uniform, long-hair tied back)
- Develops an annual budget for the Department of Food Services. Budget is detailed by sub-account
- Submits monthly budget variances to the Executive Director
- Stays within established budget
- Participates in expense reductions as required
Food Service Responsibilities
- In collaboration with Executive Chef, oversees planning and purchasing of food and food service supplies
- Creates and selects new recipes for resident menu
- Develops seasonal resident menus
- Ensures standard recipe file is maintained
- Develops stock levels of staple and non staple food and food service supplies
- Ensures quarterly food inventories are performed
- Ensures that thermometers are placed in all refrigerators
- Ensures that refrigerator logs are kept on a daily basis
- Ensures that kitchen equipment is maintained in proper working order
- Oversees meal preparation in accordance with planned menus, established inventories and standard recipes
- Plans menus and oversees food preparation for special events
- Ensures that food presentation is appetizing in appearance and taste.
- Ensures that meals are served in a timely and efficient manner
- Ensures food is served hot.
- Ensures portion control is maintained within food service delivery to residents.
- Wears gloves while preparing ready-to-eat foods and ensures staff follows Serv Safe guidelines as it pertains to glove use
- Oversees daily cleaning of assigned kitchen area
- Performs similar and other related duties as required
Education/Experience: Requires the ability to manage and direct the Food Services Department, including adhering to budgetary guidelines and maintaining proper inventory levels. Must be knowledgeable in all aspects of food preparation and kitchen operation. The ability to communicate effectively in English both orally and in writing is essential. Requires high school diploma or GED. Must have completed the food service sanitation course sponsored by the National Education of the National Restaurant Association. Successful completion of a reputable course in food operation is preferred. A degree in culinary arts and management is ideal.
Certificates/Licenses: Current certificates and/or licenses as required by federal, state and local agencies; ServSafe certified.