Welcome to Lahey Hospital & Medical Center, part of Beth Israel Lahey Health. Lahey Hospital & Medical Center is a world-renowned tertiary medical center known for its innovative technology, pioneering medical treatment and leading-edge research. A teaching hospital of Tufts University School of Medicine, the hospital provides quality health care in virtually every specialty and subspecialty, from primary care to cancer diagnosis and treatment to kidney and liver transplantation. It is a national leader in a number of health care areas, including stroke, weight management and lung screenings, among many others. Lahey also helps to advance medicine through research and the education of tomorrow's health care leaders.
About the Job
Position Summary: Under the general supervision of the Laboratory Manager, performs a variety of clinical assays and the associated supporting work for use in the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of disease. Performs start-up, maintenance, and troubleshooting procedures on the instruments and laboratory equipment. Performs quality control and quality assurance procedures as required. Reports results via computer. May specialize in areas such as Blood Bank, Chemistry, Hematology, Immunology, Special Chemistry, Microbiology, or Laboratory Support Services. Special assignments may include training of new employees. Coverage includes rotating weekends and holidays. Phlebotomy may be required.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities including but are not limited to:
- Verify sample identification, acceptability of sample, and appropriateness of order according to written procedures.
- Handle each specimen according to written procedure and perform follow-up procedures on rejected samples according to protocol.
- Complete assignments according to written procedures without excessive waste within established turn around times.
- Recognize unusual or unreasonable results. Consult with manager or appropriate personnel about abnormal findings, unusual combinations or difficult analyses.
- Record laboratory results (observations/interpretations/calculations) on worksheets, verify results are entered into the laboratory computer system correctly, and report STAT and critical values according to protocol.
- Perform and document required QC/QA procedures according to established protocols. Recognize existing or potential out of control situations. Notify manager, QC coordinator, and/or a Medical Technologist.
- Perform surveys by testing, recording, and reporting results accurately.
- Perform scheduled maintenance and required documentation on instruments and equipment. Notify manager and/or PM coordinator of unresolved problems.
- Assist as appropriate in teaching laboratory techniques to new colleagues.
- Contribute to department goal of optimization of resources and revenue enhancement.
- Maintain appropriate inventory.
General Expectations including but are not limited to:
- Incorporate Lahey Clinic Guiding Principles and Mission Statement and Goals into daily activities.
- Comply with all Lahey Clinic and department specific policies.
- Follow established safety procedures as stated in the Laboratory Safety and Infection Control Manuals.
- Participate in and successfully complete Mandatory Education.
- Comply with behavioral expectations of the department and Lahey Clinic.
- Establish and maintain courteous and effective interactions with patients and colleagues.
- Demonstrate an understanding of job description, performance expectations, and competency assessment.
- Demonstrate a commitment toward meeting and exceeding the needs of our customers and consistently adhere to our customer service standards.
- Demonstrate commitment to stay current in scientific knowledge by completing 6 hrs/yr of continuing education.
- Participate in departmental and/or interdepartmental quality improvement activities.
- Performs all other duties as needed or directed to meet the needs of the department.
Education: Associates degree including laboratory internship at an institution certified by the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences (NAACLS).
Licensure, Certification, Registration: Certification eligible by American Society of Clinical Pathologists (ASCP) Board of Registry or the National Certification Agency (NCA) or by American Medical Technologists (AMT) for Medical Laboratory personnel.
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities:
- Knowledge of clinical tests and standards necessary to perform complex tests and accurately report result.
- Analytic ability to perform complex tests, calculations, and calibrate instruments, etc.
- Ability to identify clinical testing problems.
- Ability to concentrate for long periods of time, utilize good judgment, work accurately under pressure and handle stress to meet deadlines.
- Manual dexterity and acuity necessary to prepare specimens, prepare solutions, screen specimens, and operate instrumentation and a computer.
- Interpersonal verbal and written English language skills sufficient to exchange information with physicians and other colleagues.
- Skill in the use of personal computers and related software applications.
- In the absence of these skills, demonstrates the ability to be thoroughly trained to meet organizational standards.
Experience: Laboratory internship at an institution certified by the NAACLS.
Shift: 40 hours, 1st shift
Beth Israel Lahey Health is an integrated system providing patients with better care wherever they are. Care informed by world-class research and education. We are doctors and nurses, technicians and social workers, innovators and educators, and so many others. All with a shared vision for what healthcare can and should be. We are committed to attracting, developing and retaining top talent. We strive to create a diverse and inclusive workplace that reflects the communities in which we work and serve. With a team approach to care, we encourage learning and growth at all levels and offer competitive salaries and benefits.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.