Location: Burlington, MA
Job ID: 161603-1A
Date Posted: Jun 1, 2020
Welcome to Lahey Hospital & Medical Center, part of Beth Israel Lahey Health. Lahey Hospital & Medical Center is a world-renowned tertiary medical center known for its innovative technology, pioneering medical treatment and leading-edge research. A teaching hospital of Tufts University School of Medicine, the hospital provides quality health care in virtually every specialty and subspecialty, from primary care to cancer diagnosis and treatment to kidney and liver transplantation. It is a national leader in a number of health care areas, including stroke, weight management and lung screenings, among many others. Lahey also helps to advance medicine through research and the education of tomorrow's health care leaders.
About the Job
Reporting to the Director of Research Administration, the Research Revenue and Billing Specialist (RRBS) will be responsible for all aspects of clinical trial revenue and patient billing. The RRBS will work with physicians and study staff to generate billing calendars for each clinical trial and will be responsible for all charge review as patient care charges route through the patient billing system. The RRBS will address queries from Patient Financial Services, research sponsors, and other sources and monitor and log all payments received ensuring that study accounts are kept up to date.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities including but not limited to:
1. Works closely with Physicians and Research staff to create study calendars in EPIC based on clinical trial protocols.
2. Serves as the liaison between the Research staff and the EPIC research team.
3. Conducts a second tier billing review of research charges routed through EPIC
4. Identifies, analyzes and resolves any billing issues or discrepancies as they occur.
5. Communicates the nature and origin of any billing issues to research leadership for operational resolution as applicable..
6. Works closely with PFS to ensure that all queries are resolved and any necessary billing adjustments/corrections are made.
7. Reviews and approves payments for research patient care accounts
8. Provides training and guidance to research staff throughout the hospital on research billing matters
9. Logs clinical trial income and monitors study payments.
10. Identifies clinical trial accounts in arrears and works with research leadership to ensure that payment is received.
11. Supports the research finance team
12. Other duties as assigned
Maintain strict adherence to the Lahey Hospital and Medical Center Confidentiality policy.
Incorporate Lahey Hospital and Medical Center Standards of Behavior and Guiding Principles into daily activities
Comply with all Lahey Hospital and Medical Center Policies.
Comply with behavioral expectations of the department and Lahey Hospital and Medical Center.
Maintain courteous and effective interactions with colleagues and patients.
Demonstrate an understanding of the job description, performance expectations, and competency assessment.
Demonstrate a commitment toward meeting and exceeding the needs of our customers and consistently adheres to Customer Service standards.
Participate in departmental and/or interdepartmental quality improvement activities.
Participate in and successfully completes Mandatory Education.
Perform all other duties as needed or directed to meet the needs of the department.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in Science preferred but not required
Licensure, Certification & Registration: None
Experience: 2 years experience working in a healthcare billing/reimbursement related position. 2 years experience working with hospital or professional coding. Clinical trial experience preferred, but not required. Experience with EPIC preferred, but not required.
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities:
• Comprehensive working knowledge of medical/hospital billing practices, billing software, health care insurance, and CMS regulations including research regulations
• Knowledge of CPT, HCPCS, ICD-9 and ICD-10 coding principles.
• Thoroughly proficient in data entry using a pc and a variety of electronic systems, including Microsoft Excel.
• Ability to read, analyze and interpret financial reports.
• Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw conclusions, and make sound recommendations.
• Capacity to analyze and think creatively and weigh alternatives.
• Ability to deal with conflict successfully and attain resolution
• Demonstrates attention to detail.
• Demonstrates excellent organizational skills.
• Demonstrates skills with multitasking
• Demonstrates the ability to work independently and as part of a team.
• Demonstrates flexibility in the face of shifting priorities/workflow.
Shift: Full Time, Temporary
Beth Israel Lahey Health is an integrated system providing patients with better care wherever they are. Care informed by world-class research and education. We are doctors and nurses, technicians and social workers, innovators and educators, and so many others. All with a shared vision for what healthcare can and should be. We are committed to attracting, developing and retaining top talent. We strive to create a diverse and inclusive workplace that reflects the communities in which we work and serve. With a team approach to care, we encourage learning and growth at all levels and offer competitive salaries and benefits.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.