Location: Winchester, MA
Job ID: 161653-1A
Date Posted: May 6, 2021
Category: Clinical Professional
Welcome to Winchester Hospital, part of Beth Israel Lahey Health. Winchester Hospital was the first hospital in Massachusetts to earn Magnet recognition, the American Nurses Association’s highest honor for nursing excellence, three times. It has since received the recognition a fourth time. As the northwest suburban Boston area’s leading provider of comprehensive health care services, the 229-bed facility provides care in general, bariatric and vascular surgery, orthopedics, pediatrics, cardiology, pulmonary medicine, oncology, gastroenterology, rehabilitation, radiation oncology, pain management, obstetrics/gynecology and a Level IIB Special Care Nursery.
About the Job
Required: Bachelor’s degree in a science field required or grandfathered qualifications.
Grandfathered Qualifications (A or B):
A. 2-year science degree and evidence of working experience in a clinical setting prior to 1980.
B. MLT Certification (HEW or military) acquired prior to 1980
Required: At least two years of work experience in a hospital based laboratory.
Preferred: Generalist experience in a hospital core laboratory.
Required: For safety and quality reasons, must be able to read, write and communicate effectively in English with patients, visitors and fellow members of the hospital team.
· For safety and quality reasons, must be able to read, write and communicate effectively in English with patients, visitors and fellow members of the hospital team.
· Must have a working knowledge of Hematology, Chemistry and Blood Bank.
· Be able to remain calm and professional in stressful situations.
· Work independently and have superior decision making skills.
Required: Medical Technologist registry eligible.
Preferred: Medical Technologist registered (ASCP or applicable).
LIFE SUPPORT CERTIFICATION REQUIRED: N/A
POPULATION SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS: N/A
OTHER JOB REQUIREMENTS:
Professional Commitment Requirements: Keep abreast of developments in the field and/or licensure through continuing education, participation in professional organizations or a combination of both.
On-call: May be required in case of staff shortages.
Schedule requirements: Required to rotate holiday and weekend coverage. May be expected to cover alternative shifts in cases of staff shortages.
Travel requirements: N/A
· Reports to the Laboratory Section Supervisors.
· Not responsible for supervising the work of others. May direct the work of others.
· Works independently without on-site supervision and direction.
As part of the Laboratory team, this position:
· Prepares specimen depending on lab order in the main clinical areas of the lab (Heme, Chem and Blood Bank), covering at least two departments simultaneously on the shift and able to assist co-worker(s) as necessary.
· Performs at least limited duties in Microbiology to include planting specimens, performing kit tests and preparing and reading gram stains.
· Performs tests using both/either manual methods or automated instrumentation which require fine motor coordination and manual dexterity. Ensures specimen integrity throughout the process.
· Performs quality control checks and equipment maintenance, adhering to high quality standards.
· Resolves operational and clinical issues in a timely manner. Brings issues to the Supervisor’s attention to keep leadership informed of night shift operational, clinical and performance issues.
· Liaisons between the lab and the other hospital departments, maintaining the highest level of professionalism and customer service. Represents the Laboratory and collaborates with other departments to maintain the highest level of quality care on this off-shift.
· Oversees and directs other laboratory staff on the shift and collaborates with fellow technologists for decision making.
· Performs daily, weekly and monthly maintenance on analyzers.
· Responds to supply and equipment issues timely to ensure optimum operations and equipment quality and long-term equipment maintenance and life.
· Performs necessary calibrations on new and expired lots of reagents.
· Reviews and inputs quality control and patient results into the electronic medical records system in a timely manner so clinicians and patients get their results as quickly as possible. Expedites results to clinicians for stat and critical results.
· Troubleshoots test anomalies, system problems, and calibrations, controls and instrument issues in a logical manner to ensure accurate tests and expedient patient care.
· Maintains a clean and safe work environment presenting a professional impression of facilities and fostering our culture of safety.
Maintains documentation, reports and quality checks to ensure the laboratory is in compliance with regulatory agencies, accreditation and Hospital policies and procedures.
Runs reports to verify optimal operational performance.
Takes status and result requests and other questions from patients and clinicians in a timely and professional manner.
Provides clinical guidance and training to hospital clinicians and physicians on Laboratory policies and procedures.
Reviews supplies inventory, communicates supply needs and rotates supplies when new stocking is received.
· Each lab section performs a variety of tests using different technologies and techniques.
Full time, 40 hours.
Beth Israel Lahey Health is an integrated system providing patients with better care wherever they are. Care informed by world-class research and education. We are doctors and nurses, technicians and social workers, innovators and educators, and so many others. All with a shared vision for what healthcare can and should be. We are committed to attracting, developing and retaining top talent. We strive to create a diverse and inclusive workplace that reflects the communities in which we work and serve. With a team approach to care, we encourage learning and growth at all levels and offer competitive salaries and benefits.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.