Welcome to Lahey Hospital & Medical Center, part of Beth Israel Lahey Health. Lahey Hospital & Medical Center is a world-renowned tertiary medical center known for its innovative technology, pioneering medical treatment and leading-edge research. A teaching hospital of Tufts University School of Medicine, the hospital provides quality health care in virtually every specialty and subspecialty, from primary care to cancer diagnosis and treatment to kidney and liver transplantation. It is a national leader in a number of health care areas, including stroke, weight management and lung screenings, among many others. Lahey also helps to advance medicine through research and the education of tomorrow's health care leaders.
About the Job
Position Summary: Under general direction this person will work closely with the Chief Education Officer, the Medical Director of Professional Development and Simulation, the Associate Directors of the Center for the Surgical, Medical, Anesthesia, and Nursing activities and the Administrative Director of the Center to plan and implement simulation-based educational programs at Lahey Hospital & Medical Center and at Lahey Health. This person will work with these leaders to identify needs which can be best addressed through simulation-based education and develop innovative programs to address those needs. This person will also work closely with the Medical Director, Administrative Director and Associate Directors in the design and construction of changes to the physical plant or facilities of the Simulation Center.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities including but not limited to:
- Assist the medical director & associate directors in the management of the simulation-based educational offerings of the center with an emphasis on technical skills; acquisition, including program improvement through interpretation and implementation of latest program evaluation tools and incorporating the latest educational principles;
- Provide feedback and evaluation during technical skills laboratory modules;
- Provide teaching for both technical and non-technical skills modules for both surgical and non-surgical house-staff, medical students, and nurses, physicians assistants, nurse practitioners, allied health care professionals;
- Design and teach practice sessions to provide learner with deliberate practice experiences in follow-up of formal training modules;
- Provide feedback and evaluation to learners for the proficiency processes;
- Assist faculty in the development and implementation of prescribed remediation programs for learners experiencing technical skills difficulties.
- Serve as needed as an evaluator for the Verification of Proficiency (VOP) evaluations;
- Provide coaching of learners in technical skills, particularly during their early skills acquisition experiences;
- Assist in the creation of new simulation-based educational offerings through needs assessments of the institution, faculty, learners and patients;
- Assist in promoting the academic productivity of the center;
- Work with faculty in the development of new curricular modules.
- Provide consultation to visiting groups seeking to develop new programs or enhance existing programs.
- Aid in designing and implementing capabilities that enhance and synergize Lahey Medical Hospital & Medical Center’s and Lahey Health’s commitment to innovation and leadership in the future of simulation-based training and education;
- Create an “educational home” continuum that integrates the elements of experiential learning with designed flexibility to incorporate new methods, strategies and technologies;
- Assist the medical director, associate directors and the chief education officer to optimize the conditions for success of the simulation-based training and education initiative as a whole, and the individuals and teams that form the initiative. While initially, these activities may focus on medical student and residents, it will ultimately include the spectrum of learners;
Standard Performance Responsibilities
- Maintains strict adherence to the Lahey Clinic Confidentiality policy
- Incorporates Lahey Clinic Guiding Principles , Mission Statement and Goals into daily activities
- Complies with all Lahey Clinic Policies.
- Complies with behavioral expectations of the department and Lahey Clinic.
- Maintains courteous and effective interactions with colleagues and patients.
- Demonstrates an understanding of the job description, performance expectations, and competency assessment.
- Demonstrates a commitment toward meeting and exceeding the needs of our customers and consistently adheres to Customer Service standards.
- Participates in departmental and/or interdepartmental quality improvement activities.
- Participates in and successfully completes Mandatory Education
- Performs all other duties as needed or directed to meet the needs of the department
- Education: Graduate level degree such as master’s degree in Nursing or Physician Assistant degree, Master’s in Education, or doctorate or equivalent education and experience.
- Experience: A minimum of five years’ experience in simulation education, medical education or other related field.
- Skills: Ability to work collaboratively in both a healthcare and educational environment. Excellent communication and organizational skills. Working knowledge of MS Office, Word, PowerPoint, and Excel. Ability to manage multiple priorities. In the absence of any of these skills, demonstrates the ability to be thoroughly trained to meet organizational standards.
Beth Israel Lahey Health is an integrated system providing patients with better care wherever they are. Care informed by world-class research and education. We are doctors and nurses, technicians and social workers, innovators and educators, and so many others. All with a shared vision for what healthcare can and should be. We are committed to attracting, developing and retaining top talent. We strive to create a diverse and inclusive workplace that reflects the communities in which we work and serve. With a team approach to care, we encourage learning and growth at all levels and offer competitive salaries and benefits.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.