Welcome to Shared Services, our team uses a coordinated approach to delivering administrative and operational services across Lahey. Our Shared Services colleagues leverage resources across the organization to ensure we provide high-quality, high-value care to the communities we proudly serve. The Shared Services team includes colleagues who focus on business and network development, legal services, facilities and real estate, human resources, information technology, finance, philanthropy and marketing and communications.
About the Job
Under managerial oversight of the Department Director, and within regulatory requirements, the Patient Financial Services Manager will manage all aspects of the work units assigned, This includes managing the daily activities of PFS colleagues; including work schedules, adherence to Lahey and PFS policies, progressive discipline, meetings, work flow, procedures, productivity, quality of work, unit communications, competencies, training and overall performance of colleagues. With director oversight, the Manager sets, monitors and reports on work unit and individual colleague goals and objectives. The manager must manage resources and work unit costs within the constraints of the cost center. The position is responsible for planning, reporting and overall performance of work units assigned.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: (including but not limited to):
- Manages colleagues to established standards for quality and quantity
- Ensures that work unit colleagues successfully complete all required education and training programs
- Creates and updates work unit procedures so that work is accomplished accurately and efficiently
- Manages work unit schedules to meet operational requirements being fair to all colleagues
- Manager ensures that one on one and work unit meetings with work unit colleagues are scheduled in accordance with Director Requirements
- With guidance from HR and Director and within HR Policy, the manager is to fairly manage human resource issues such as hiring and progressive discipline
- Under Director guidance, the Manager sets and monitors individual and work unit goals and objectives
- As required by Director, provides meaningful reporting on progress towards goals, work unit issues, productivity, quality indicators, work throughout, adjustments to changes, compliance with applicable corporate, federal and state requirements, use of technology employee issues and planning efforts.
- The manager works with colleagues and managers from other work units and departments to improve performance, problem solve and plan.
- Manages expenses budget
- Provides the department with technical knowledge of the work performed by the work unit
- Assist the Director with special projects as needed
- Maintains strict adherence to the Lahey Clinic Confidentiality Policy
- Incorporates Lahey Clinic Guiding Principles, Mission Statement and Goals into daily activities
- Complies with all Lahey Clinic Policies
- Complies with behavioral expectations of the department and Lahey Clinic
- Maintains courteous and effective interactions with colleagues and patients
- Demonstrates an understanding of the job description, performance expectations, and competency assessment
- Demonstrates a commitment toward meeting and exceeding the needs of our customers and consistently adheres to Customer Service standards
- Participates in departmental and/or interdepartmental activities
- Participates in and successfully completes Mandatory Education
- Performs all other duties as needed or directed to meet the needs of the department
Education: Bachelor Degree or equivalent experience (additional years of supervisory and/or patient financial services experience beyond the minimum required)
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities:
- Comprehensive understanding and knowledge of the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) coding, billing and compliance requirements.
- Working knowledge of patient financial services activities including the HCPCS coding system, the ICD-9 coding system revenue, claims, denials and collection practices.
- Must have a high level of analytical skill, process improvement abilities, problem solving skills and ability to manage a large work force within a large healthcare environment.
- Computer skills to include use of complex revenue cycle systems, Microsoft, and other basic computer skills are a requirement.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills required. Presentation skills required.
- Five years experience in a Patient Financial Services Organization.
- Two years supervisory experience in a Patient Financial Services organization, or four years in a Lead position within Lahey Patient Financial Services.
Beth Israel Lahey Health is comprised of world-class academic medical centers and teaching hospitals, leading community hospitals, a renowned orthopedics hospital, and comprehensive ambulatory centers. Through our focus on population health, our clinically integrated network of affiliated providers, as well as vital services such as behavioral health and home care services, we are able to provide a new model of care that improves the health of all those we serve. With more than 9,000 nurses, 4,300 physicians and more than 35,000 employees, our model ensures care is highly coordinated and locally delivered, with lower costs and exceptional quality.
Beth Israel Lahey Health is committed to attracting, developing and retaining top talent in a market long recognized and revered as a global leader in health. With a team approach to care, we encourage learning and growth at all levels, and we offer competitive salaries and benefits. We adhere to the principles of a just and fair work environment for all colleagues, where respect is foundational. We strive to create a diverse and inclusive workplace that reflects the communities in which we work and serve.