Welcome to Lahey Hospital & Medical Center, part of Beth Israel Lahey Health. Lahey Hospital & Medical Center is a world-renowned tertiary medical center known for its innovative technology, pioneering medical treatment and leading-edge research. A teaching hospital of Tufts University School of Medicine, the hospital provides quality health care in virtually every specialty and subspecialty, from primary care to cancer diagnosis and treatment to kidney and liver transplantation. It is a national leader in a number of health care areas, including stroke, weight management and lung screenings, among many others. Lahey also helps to advance medicine through research and the education of tomorrow's health care leaders.
About the Job
This is a position in a busy Blood Bank that is AABB, CAP and FACT accredited. We are a Level I Trauma Center and a very busy liver transplant service. In addition, we have robust transfusion, hematology/oncology and surgical services as well, but do not have obstetrics (no prenatal, labor, cord blood or neonate testing or transfusion). The position would entail type and screen, antibody identification, compatibility testing, advanced reference procedures and inventory management and product modification. The pathologists are available 24/7 to support the Blood Bank and Clinical Laboratories either on site or on call. Coverage includes rotating weekends and holidays.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities including but are not limited to:
- Verify sample identification, acceptability of sample, and appropriateness of order according to written procedures.
- Handle each specimen according to written procedure and perform follow-up procedures on rejected samples according to protocol.
- Demonstrate ability to prioritize work by completing assignments according to written procedures without excessive waste within established turnaround times.
- Recognize and evaluate unusual or unreasonable results. Consult with manager or appropriate personnel about abnormal findings, unusual combinations or difficult analyses.
- Record laboratory results (observations/interpretations/calculations) on worksheets, verify results are entered into the laboratory computer system correctly, and report STAT and critical values according to protocol.
- Perform and document required QC/QA procedures according to established protocols. Interpret results to determine existing or potential out of control situations. Notify manager and/or QC coordinator.
- Perform surveys by testing, recording, and reporting results accurately.
- Perform scheduled maintenance and required documentation on instruments and equipment. Notify manager and/or PM coordinator of unresolved problems.
- Assist as appropriate in teaching laboratory techniques to new colleagues and students.
- Contribute to department goal of optimization of resources and revenue enhancement.
- Maintain appropriate inventory.
Education: Baccalaureate degree including laboratory internship at an institution certified by the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences (NAACLS). Licensure, Certification, Registration: Cerrtification by American Society of Clinical Pathologists (ASCP) Board of Registry or the National Certification Agency (NCA) for Medical Laboratory personnel or by American Medical Technologists (AMT) for Medical Laboratory personnel is required.
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities: Knowledge of clinical tests and standards necessary to perform complex tests and accurately report result.
- Analytic ability to perform complex tests, interpret findings, perform calculations, calibrate instruments, etc.
- Ability to identify and evaluate clinical testing problems and to effect corrective action procedures and modifications.
- Ability to concentrate for long periods of time, utilize good judgment, work accurately under pressure and handle stress to meet deadlines.
- Manual dexterity and acuity necessary to prepare specimens, prepare solutions, screen specimens, and operate instrumentation and a computer.
- Interpersonal verbal and written English language skills sufficient to exchange information with physicians and other colleagues.
- Skill in the use of personal computers and related software applications.
Experience: Laboratory internship at an institution certified by NAACLS or related experience necessary to qualify to take certification exam.
SHIFT: Per Diem, 1st shift
Beth Israel Lahey Health is an integrated system providing patients with better care wherever they are. Care informed by world-class research and education. We are doctors and nurses, technicians and social workers, innovators and educators, and so many others. All with a shared vision for what healthcare can and should be. We are committed to attracting, developing and retaining top talent. We strive to create a diverse and inclusive workplace that reflects the communities in which we work and serve. With a team approach to care, we encourage learning and growth at all levels and offer competitive salaries and benefits.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.