Location: Winchester, MA
Job ID: 160462-1A
Date Posted: Aug 12, 2020
Category: Clinical Support
Welcome to Winchester Hospital, part of Beth Israel Lahey Health. Winchester Hospital was the first hospital in Massachusetts to earn Magnet recognition, the American Nurses Association’s highest honor for nursing excellence, three times. It has since received the recognition a fourth time. As the northwest suburban Boston area’s leading provider of comprehensive health care services, the 229-bed facility provides care in general, bariatric and vascular surgery, orthopedics, pediatrics, cardiology, pulmonary medicine, oncology, gastroenterology, rehabilitation, radiation oncology, pain management, obstetrics/gynecology and a Level IIB Special Care Nursery.
About the Job
JOB SUMMARY: Contributes to the Hospital’s mission to care, to heal, and to excel in service to our community by ensuring that all supplies and equipment needed for patient care is clean and sterile for use. This clinical-support staff position will have an impact on reducing patient harm by reducing the chance of infection and on physician satisfaction by providing the appropriate and accurate equipment and supplies based on physician preferences and requests, to streamline surgical procedures.
High School Diploma or equivalent
Graduate of a Sterilization Technician program
· Sterilization Technician experience or related clinical experience
· Medical supplies inventory experience / Case Cart experience
· Assembly line / Manufacturing experience
· For safety and quality reasons, must be able to read, write and communicate effectively in English with fellow members of the hospital team
· Knowledge of medical terminology
· Basic computer knowledge
· Meditech / data entry experience
Preferred: Certification as a Registered Central Service Technician (C.R.C.S.T.)
LIFE SUPPORT CERTIFICATION REQUIRED: N/A
POPULATION SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS: N/A
OTHER JOB REQUIREMENTS:
On-call: Weekend and holiday call rotation required
Schedule requirements: Weekend schedule rotation required, other schedule adjustments may be required to meet department needs
Travel requirements: N/A
· Reports to Manager of Central Materials Services
· Not responsible for supervising the work of others
As part of the Central Materials Services and surgical services teams, this position:
· Scans equipment and instruments at each step in the sterilization/packaging process to accurately track equipment throughout the sterilization process and to identify equipment and instruments throughout the hospital organization
· Decontaminates equipment and instruments as the first step in the sterilization process, ensuring they are free of blood and tissue. Carefully examining items to verify they are in proper working order
· Round hospital units to collect used instrumentation and equipment
· Based on surgical services order sheets and physician preferences, assembles equipment/instrument sets for use in surgical procedures and providing bed-side patient care
· Sterilizes instruments and sets utilizing various automated methods including steam, ethylene oxide, and other gas methods
· Coordinates case chart assembly based on the surgical services schedule. Based on physician preference/pick lists assembles case charts ensuring all required/desired equipment, instruments and supplies are included
· Performs quality assurance checks on equipment, instruments, sets and carts before released for use in patient care
· Rotates in all department functions
· Maintains accurate inventory records to ensure the department has appropriate inventory to meets the needs of the patient care teams and physicians. Communicates inventory concerns promptly when identified
· Documents and communicates equipment and instrument defects promptly and works to revolve problems in order to meet the customer’s needs
· To ensure optimum operations and quality and long-term equipment maintenance and life, performs preventative maintenance, cleaning and quality checks on cleaning and sterilization equipment.
Full time, 40 hours, evenings.
Beth Israel Lahey Health is an integrated system providing patients with better care wherever they are. Care informed by world-class research and education. We are doctors and nurses, technicians and social workers, innovators and educators, and so many others. All with a shared vision for what healthcare can and should be. We are committed to attracting, developing and retaining top talent. We strive to create a diverse and inclusive workplace that reflects the communities in which we work and serve. With a team approach to care, we encourage learning and growth at all levels and offer competitive salaries and benefits.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.