Welcome to Lahey Hospital & Medical Center, part of Beth Israel Lahey Health. Lahey Hospital & Medical Center is a world-renowned tertiary medical center known for its innovative technology, pioneering medical treatment and leading-edge research. A teaching hospital of Tufts University School of Medicine, the hospital provides quality health care in virtually every specialty and subspecialty, from primary care to cancer diagnosis and treatment to kidney and liver transplantation. It is a national leader in a number of health care areas, including stroke, weight management and lung screenings, among many others. Lahey also helps to advance medicine through research and the education of tomorrow's health care leaders.
About the Job
Position Summary: Under supervision of the department supervisor and/or lead person, the Infection Prevention Cleaning Technician helps maintain a healthy and safe environment throughout the facility by performing a variety of cleaning and related functions in both patient care and non-patient care areas, with a primary focus on the specialized cleaning required for surgical/invasive areas. These duties may be regularly scheduled, or may be required on an emergency basis.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities including but not limited to:
- Performs Terminal or end-of-day cleaning procedures for surgical/invasive areas according to AORN requirements, including complete floor-to-ceiling cleaning of operating rooms and procedure rooms on a scheduled or as needed basis.
- Performs Weekly Cycle Cleaning procedures for surgical/invasive areas according to AORN requirements.
- Performs project work as assigned, including (but not limited to): the operation of heavy equipment to perform floor stripping and carpet care; precaution room cleaning, and furniture moving.
- Maintains department cleaning equipment and makes minor repairs when appropriate, or notifies the supervisor that additional maintenance/service is required. Tags broken equipment to indicate that it is out of order.
- Cleans rooms of discharged patients as a priority when assigned to help ensure the timely turnover of hospital beds. Prepares room for admission, paying particular attention to cleaning IV poles and blood pressure cuffs, verifying that the room telephone is in working order, and ensuring that the suction canister and oxygen flow meters are in place, and the glove box is stocked.
- Performs scheduled daily cleaning of patient rooms when assigned: Empties and relines waste receptacles, paying particular attention to the safe and proper handling of hazardous waste; makes beds when unoccupied; checks bed functioning and notifies maintenance when repairs are needed; high dusts; dry and wet mops; disinfects floors; damp wipes and spot cleans surfaces with disinfectants; cleans and disinfects bathroom commodes and other fixtures; cleans IV poles; and performs self-inspections.
- Uses a pager and telephone to receive and record the successful completion of cleaning assignments in a Bed Tracking System. Communicates with the Environmental Services Supervisor when problems arise that prevent the timely completion of cleaning assignments.
- Interacts with patients and visitors in a welcoming and supportive manner and provides assistance when necessary.
- Works collaboratively with nursing staff and other colleagues as a member of the patient care team.
- Cleans patient care and non-patient care areas of the facility as needed and directed by the supervisor or lead person.
- Responds promptly to requests from appropriate personnel for emergency cleaning services.
- Maintains the housekeeping cart and cleaning supplies in accordance with departmental and safety guidelines.
- As directed, trains new colleagues on cleaning techniques including safe and appropriate use of tools and cleaning agents.
Incorporates Lahey Clinic Guiding Principles, Mission Statement and Goals into daily activities.
- Complies with all Lahey Clinic Policies.
- Complies with behavioral expectations of the department and Lahey Clinic.
- Maintains courteous and effective interactions with colleagues and patients.
- Demonstrates an understanding of the job description, performance expectations, and competency assessment.
- Demonstrates a commitment toward meeting and exceeding the needs of our customers and consistently adheres to Customer Service standards.
- Participates in departmental and/or interdepartmental quality improvement activities.
- Participates in and successfully completes Mandatory Education.
- Performs all other duties as needed or directed to meet the needs of the department.
Education: Not required
Licensure, Certification, Registration: Not required
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities: English language skills that allow for: effective patient service; coordination with other members of the patient care team; and two-way communciation regarding cleaning assignments, training on established precedures, policies and organizational standards, and the safe use of cleaning agents and equipment.
Experience: Six months of prior professional cleaning experience required
40 Hour - Evenings
You will be required to work shifts every other weekend.
You will be required to work 2 holidays a year - usually one spring/summer and one fall/winter holiday.
You will receive a differential (additional compensation) for these weekend and holiday work days.
Beth Israel Lahey Health is an integrated system providing patients with better care wherever they are. Care informed by world-class research and education. We are doctors and nurses, technicians and social workers, innovators and educators, and so many others. All with a shared vision for what healthcare can and should be. We are committed to attracting, developing and retaining top talent. We strive to create a diverse and inclusive workplace that reflects the communities in which we work and serve. With a team approach to care, we encourage learning and growth at all levels and offer competitive salaries and benefits.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.