Welcome to Lahey Hospital & Medical Center, part of Beth Israel Lahey Health. Lahey Hospital & Medical Center is a world-renowned tertiary medical center known for its innovative technology, pioneering medical treatment and leading-edge research. A teaching hospital of Tufts University School of Medicine, the hospital provides quality health care in virtually every specialty and subspecialty, from primary care to cancer diagnosis and treatment to kidney and liver transplantation. It is a national leader in a number of health care areas, including stroke, weight management and lung screenings, among many others. Lahey also helps to advance medicine through research and the education of tomorrow's health care leaders.
About the Job
Under the supervision of the Department Director, the Patient Access Services (PAS) Manager oversees all aspects of the work groups assigned and contributes to the continuous improvement of the Department’s overall performance. Key responsibilities include:
- Efficient and effective performance of colleagues on a day to day basis (work schedules, adherence to Lahey and PAS policies, progressive discipline, work flow productivity/accuracy/patient satisfaction, unit communications, competencies & training, achievement of budget targets).
- Continuous improvement of the overall performance of the department by proactively identifying problems and proposing solutions for the Director’s review. Leading and/or participation in process improvement groups is required.
- Supports the Directors in their work planning and implementing strategic initiatives in the Department and/or across other departments. Is consistently adaptable to change and presents new initiatives to staff with energy and enthusiasm. Demonstrates flexible thinking and open-mindedness around work flows.
- Serves as a role model for customer service and colleague engagement at all times.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities including but not limited to:
- Manages colleagues to achieve established standards for productivity, accuracy and patient satisfaction, and to achieve goals assigned to department and/or individual work units.
- Manages work unit schedules to meet operational requirements, being fair to all colleagues. Prepares weekly payroll for review/approval.
- Ensures that one on one and work unit meetings are scheduled
- Ensures that work unit colleagues successfully complete all required education and training programs. Identifies colleagues in need of retraining and assures they receive it. Supports colleagues’ professional development and makes recommendations for continuing education. Monitors their performance and continued suitability for their position.
- Completes performance evaluations and performance improvement plans for work unit colleagues. Relies on direct observation, input from key constituents, and available data to assess performance and next steps. Recommends future goals for colleagues in line with department needs and initiatives.
- With guidance from HR and Director and within HR policy, fairly manages human resource issues.
- Recommends changes and/or updates to departmental policies and work unit procedures so that work is accomplished accurately and efficiently. Takes the initiative to identify opportunities for improvement, via direct observation of staff, rounding for purpose, or reviewing available data. Proposes solutions to Director, or recommends creation of process improvement groups and helps to identify goals of such groups.
- Provides meaningful reporting on progress towards the achievement of goals and/or the resolution of work unit issues. Rounds regularly with identified leaders other departments to gather and analyze data required for a comprehensive and measurable understanding of work unit or department performance. Utilizes data in formation of plans and in the ongoing monitoring of achievement.
- Thinks creatively when presented with challenges, especially challenges that appear to have conflicting demands. In such situations, strives to grasp higher level issues and works cooperatively and energetically with colleagues from PAS and/or other departments to develop solutions or process improvement plans.
- Provides the department with technical knowledge of the work performed by the work unit.
- Assist the Director with special projects as needed.
- Ensures compliance with all Corporate, Federal, State and health plan requirements and regulations.
- Incorporates Lahey Hospital and Medical Center Guiding Principles, Mission Statement and Goals into daily activities.
- Complies with all Lahey Hospital and Medical Center Policies.
- Complies with behavioral expectations of the department and Lahey Hospital and Medical Center.
- Maintains courteous and effective interactions with colleagues and patients.
- Demonstrates an understanding of the job description, performance expectations, and competency assessment.
- Demonstrates a commitment toward meeting and exceeding the needs of our customers and consistently adheres to Customer Service standards.
- Participates in departmental and/or interdepartmental quality improvement activities.
- Participates in and successfully completes Mandatory Education.
- Performs all other duties as needed or directed to meet the needs of the department
Education: Bachelor degree.
Experience: Five years’ experience in a Patient Access Services and/or Revenue Cycle organization of similar size and scope with at least three years supervisory experience.
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities: Comprehensive knowledge and understanding of key components of effective patient access services, including call center operations, scheduling system use and reporting, revenue cycle operations, Press Ganey metrics, and/or customer service etiquette. Must have demonstrated and measurable history of initiating successful problem-solving projects, strong analytic skills and process improvement abilities. Excellent written, verbal and presentation skills.
SHIFT: 40 hours, 1st shift
Beth Israel Lahey Health is an integrated system providing patients with better care wherever they are. Care informed by world-class research and education. We are doctors and nurses, technicians and social workers, innovators and educators, and so many others. All with a shared vision for what healthcare can and should be. We are committed to attracting, developing and retaining top talent. We strive to create a diverse and inclusive workplace that reflects the communities in which we work and serve. With a team approach to care, we encourage learning and growth at all levels and offer competitive salaries and benefits.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.