Welcome to Lahey Hospital & Medical Center, part of Beth Israel Lahey Health. Lahey Hospital & Medical Center is a world-renowned tertiary medical center known for its innovative technology, pioneering medical treatment and leading-edge research. A teaching hospital of Tufts University School of Medicine, the hospital provides quality health care in virtually every specialty and subspecialty, from primary care to cancer diagnosis and treatment to kidney and liver transplantation. It is a national leader in a number of health care areas, including stroke, weight management and lung screenings, among many others. Lahey also helps to advance medicine through research and the education of tomorrow's health care leaders.
About the Job
Position Summary: Under supervision of a Registered Nurse, you will provide administrative clerical support to inpatient nursing units and performs basic patient care activities in providing for the personal needs, comfort and safety of patients.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities including but not limited to:
- Direct Patient Care.
- Vital Signs: May take and record the following:
- vital signs
- height and weight
- oxygen saturation
- Reports all unusual observations or reactions of the patient to the nurse assigned to the patient or charge nurse.
- Intake and Output: Collects various specimens for analysis and measures and records intake and output.
3. Activities of Daily Living: Provides patients with personal care and assist with activities of daily living.
- Clinical Procedures: Performs basic clinical procedures independently or under direct supervision of a nurse.
- Follows department procedures related to access to non-controlled medications, such as IV solutions and vaccines, when granted access to these medications as part of the job functions.
- Nutrition: Provides for patient’s nutritional needs including: assisting the patient with ordering room service, set up of meal tray, and feeds the patient as required.
- Safety: Supports a culture of safety and carries out safety interventions for all patients.
- Infection Control: Adheres to all applicable infection control policies and procedures.
- Sitter: Assist as patient safety attendant after completion of required competency.
- Orientation: Assists with orientation of new Nursing Assistant colleagues.
- Performs additional unit based activities as assigned.
- Assists with orientation of new colleagues.
- Prepares patients charts, ensuring that all necessary forms are available and relevant patient information is ready for use or review daily
- Assembles charts for admissions, transfers, and discharges.
- Utilizes appropriate computer systems to process physician orders for relevant patient information
- Utilizes bedtracking systems to support timely patient flow.
- Answers telephones, following Lahey Clinic’s established greeting; takes and transmits messages to unit staff.
- Responds to queries from physicians, nursing staff, and visitors taking care not disclose confidential patient information to unauthorized individuals in accordance with various Lahey policies, outside regulations and laws governing patient confidentiality including but not limited to HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act).
- Inventories nursing unit’s office supplies’ and orders new supplies as needed to maintain standard inventory levels. Stores supplies ensuring that areas are neat and organized.
Education: Continuous enrollment in an accredited school of nursing with completion of 1 semester of practicum in an acute care setting. Employment as a nursing associate may continue after completing nursing program until successful completion of NCLEX examination.
Licensure, Certification, Registration: : BLS American Heart Association or BLS American Red Cross preferred
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities: Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills. Requires knowledge of medical terminology, basic personal computer skills.
Experience: Completion of one semester of practicum in an acute care, Med/Surg, Pediatric, or Obstetric setting.
Beth Israel Lahey Health is an integrated system providing patients with better care wherever they are. Care informed by world-class research and education. We are doctors and nurses, technicians and social workers, innovators and educators, and so many others. All with a shared vision for what healthcare can and should be. We are committed to attracting, developing and retaining top talent. We strive to create a diverse and inclusive workplace that reflects the communities in which we work and serve. With a team approach to care, we encourage learning and growth at all levels and offer competitive salaries and benefits.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.