Location: Burlington, MA
Job ID: 159839-1A
Date Posted: Jun 8, 2021
Category: Clinical Support
Welcome to Lahey Hospital & Medical Center, part of Beth Israel Lahey Health. Lahey Hospital & Medical Center is a world-renowned tertiary medical center known for its innovative technology, pioneering medical treatment and leading-edge research. A teaching hospital of Tufts University School of Medicine, the hospital provides quality health care in virtually every specialty and subspecialty, from primary care to cancer diagnosis and treatment to kidney and liver transplantation. It is a national leader in a number of health care areas, including stroke, weight management and lung screenings, among many others. Lahey also helps to advance medicine through research and the education of tomorrow's health care leaders.
About the Job
Position Summary: Under the supervision of the Chief Anesthesia Technician , assists the
Anesthesiologists' and CRNAs' with technical preparation for inducing anesthesia , intubation,
and airway management. Prepares and maintains supplies and equipment used for
administration of anesthesia and other related procedures. The position is fast moving and
covers a large area.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities including but not limited to:
I. Sets-up operating room with required equipment and supplies according to the type of cases and ages of the
patients. Consults with Anesthesiologist or CRNA for specific setup needs as necessary or requested .. Locati
include but not limited to Operating Rooms, Radiology, Litho, EP, Radiation Therapy and Endoscopy.
2. Prepares care for the patient by the followin g:
• Assists anesthesiologists with line placements including central lines, following sterile technique. Calibrates
equipment as required i.e. Transducers and SY02 Cath eters.
• Assists Anesthesiologists and CRNAs with airway management, including set up for airway care, set up of
fiberoptic scope, set up of atomizer and topical so lutions for awake intubation, assists with cricoid pressured rapid sequence.
• Tests, sets-up, maintains sterile technique and processes autologous blood products for re-i nfusion. Package,
and report to Anesthesiologist the volume, estimated blood loss (EBL) and returned processed unit vo lume.
• Set up and prepare Anesthesia machines for latex and malignant hyperthermia cases.
Assists Anesthesiologist by the following:
• Sets up IV so lutions, equipment, cardiac monitors and anesthesia machines. Changes tanks on machines and line canisters as needed.
• Responsible for cleaning anesthesia machines as well as other anesthesia equipment, after each case. Remove
empty or unused vials, syringes, or medi cation bags (Exception: Federal DEA Schedule V and higher
medications) and di sposes them in appropriate receptac les after each case.
• Takes appropriate used equipment parts to C.S.S. for process ing and sterilization .
• Follows established protocols and uses proper sterile technique in the procedure room environment.
• Orders tanks of gases or other anesthesia supplies as necessary, brings low stock items to th e supervisors atte
• Supplies and exchanges vaporizers as requested by the Anesthesiologist or CRNA.
• Maintain appropriate ly stocked red ca1is prior to OR entry
Education: High school diploma or equivalent.
Skill s, Knowledge & Abilities:
Ability to prepare and set up equipment for Anesthesia procedures.
Ability to maintain ste rile field s, Clean and di sinfect anesthes ia in struments and equipment.
Ability to perform technical duties in complex clinica l situations
Knowledge of medical terminology
Ability to use anesthes ia equipment and related supplies
Knowledge of basic patient care.
Ability to prioritize tasks and responsibilities
Ability to set-up, operate and troubl eshoot anesthesia delivery systems,
monitors, and ancillary devices.
Ability to assists Anesthesiologist with monitoring, induction, and intubation of patients.
Experience: One year of experience in a patient care environment
Hours Sat. - Wed.. 3:30PM - 12:00AM
Hours will be 6AM - 2:30PM during training which will take up to 1 year.
On Call Required
Must be able to be ready to work within a half hour from the initial call.
Hours subject to the needs of the department evenings, nights, some days and weekends.
Beth Israel Lahey Health is an integrated system providing patients with better care wherever they are. Care informed by world-class research and education. We are doctors and nurses, technicians and social workers, innovators and educators, and so many others. All with a shared vision for what healthcare can and should be. We are committed to attracting, developing and retaining top talent. We strive to create a diverse and inclusive workplace that reflects the communities in which we work and serve. With a team approach to care, we encourage learning and growth at all levels and offer competitive salaries and benefits.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.