Location: Woburn, MA
Job ID: 159432-1A
Date Posted: Dec 27, 2019
Category: Clinical Technician
Welcome to Winchester Hospital, part of Beth Israel Lahey Health. Winchester Hospital was the first hospital in Massachusetts to earn Magnet recognition, the American Nurses Association’s highest honor for nursing excellence, three times. It has since received the recognition a fourth time. As the northwest suburban Boston area’s leading provider of comprehensive health care services, the 229-bed facility provides care in general, bariatric and vascular surgery, orthopedics, pediatrics, cardiology, pulmonary medicine, oncology, gastroenterology, rehabilitation, radiation oncology, pain management, obstetrics/gynecology and a Level IIB Special Care Nursery.
About the Job
JOB SUMMARY: Contributes to the Hospital’s mission by conducting diagnostic sleep studies and therapeutic services as well as providing patient education to assist in the diagnosis of sleep disorders. This clinical staff position will have an impact on improving patient and physician satisfaction by providing the best possible experience for our patients as well as providing accurate therapeutic diagnostic sleep studies for physician review.
· Successful completion of a nationally recognized accredited Polysomnographer program of no less than one year duration, associated with a state licensed and/or a nationally accredited educational facility
· Experience consistent with the requirements for successful completion of an ASTEP program and prerequisites required to be eligible to sit for the BRPT examination
Preferred: Associates of Science degree in Respiratory Care or clinical training course from an American Society of Electroencephalogram Technicians (EEG)
Required: Basic computer
Preferred: Prior Polysomnographic
Required: For safety and quality reasons, must be able to read, write and communicate effectively in English with patients, visitors, and fellow members of the hospital team
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS, CERTIFICATIONS:
For employees hired on or after July 1, 2013:
Registry-eligible upon hire. Must become registered with the BRPT or equivalent credential within one year of hire.
Transitional requirement for current employees:
Technologists hired prior to July 1, 2013 must become registered with the BRPT or equivalent credential by December 31, 2014.
Preferred: Registered upon hire
LIFE SUPPORT CERTIFICATION REQUIRED: Basic Life Support
POPULATION SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS: Adolescents, Adults, and Geriatrics
OTHER JOB REQUIREMENTS:
Professional Commitment Requirements: Keep abreast of developments in the field and/or licensure through continuing education, participation in professional organizations or a combination of both
Schedule requirements: Works nights
Travel requirements: N/A
· Reports to the Sleep Center Supervisor
· Not responsible for supervising the work of others
As part of the Sleep Center team, the Polysomnographic Technician
· Gathers and analyzes patient information by reviewing physician orders for specific tests.
· Greets patient and works with patient on completing patient questionnaire.
· Explains pretesting, testing and post testing procedure to patients.
· Prepares room and equipment for use by collaborating equipment required for testing and verify proper functions and make adjustment as necessary.
· Applies electrodes and sensors to patient according to AASM guidelines.
· Performs appropriate physiological collaboration and makes adjustment as necessary
· Performs C-pap mask fitting.
· Performs sleep study and monitors patient for proper function of all PSG channel throughout the study.
· Compiles and documents routine observation including sleep stages, clinical events, or any changes in events during study.
· Initiates proper therapeutic intervention by using, c-pap, bi-pap or oxygen administration, etc.
· Transfers sleep studies to server.
· Processes billing charges for patient study in automated system.
· Upon completion of required training and competencies, may assume charge role, at the discretion of the sleep center supervisor.
Per diem, as needed by department,
Location: 12 Alfred St., BP I Woburn
Beth Israel Lahey Health is an integrated system providing patients with better care wherever they are. Care informed by world-class research and education. We are doctors and nurses, technicians and social workers, innovators and educators, and so many others. All with a shared vision for what healthcare can and should be. We are committed to attracting, developing and retaining top talent. We strive to create a diverse and inclusive workplace that reflects the communities in which we work and serve. With a team approach to care, we encourage learning and growth at all levels and offer competitive salaries and benefits.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.