Location: Winchester, MA
Job ID: 159358-1A
Date Posted: Oct 19, 2021
Category: Service and Trades
Welcome to Winchester Hospital, part of Beth Israel Lahey Health. Winchester Hospital was the first hospital in Massachusetts to earn Magnet recognition, the American Nurses Association’s highest honor for nursing excellence, three times. It has since received the recognition a fourth time. As the northwest suburban Boston area’s leading provider of comprehensive health care services, the 229-bed facility provides care in general, bariatric and vascular surgery, orthopedics, pediatrics, cardiology, pulmonary medicine, oncology, gastroenterology, rehabilitation, radiation oncology, pain management, obstetrics/gynecology and a Level IIB Special Care Nursery.
About the Job
JOB SUMMARY: Contributes to the Hospital’s mission by preparing nutritional food for our patients, retail services and community services. This staff position will have an impact on patient, employee and visitor satisfaction by providing quality menu options with variety and attention to diet restrictions, allergies and ethnic preferences to make the patient’s stay as enjoyable as possible.
Required: High School Diploma or equivalent
Preferred: Culinary Degree
· A combination of 3 years of cooking experience and/or equivalent completion towards a culinary degree
· Experience preparing food from recipes vs. pre-prepared/convenience food
· Experience in an institutional setting with attention to allergy and diet restrictions
· Basic food safety (HACCP) standards
· For safety and quality reasons, must be able to read, write and communicate effectively in English with patients, visitors and fellow members of the hospital team
· Capability of managing multiple cooking stations simultaneously
· Must be at least 18 years old
LIFE SUPPORT CERTIFICATION REQUIRED: N/A
POPULATION SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS: N/A
OTHER JOB REQUIREMENTS:
Professional Commitment Requirements: Keep abreast of developments in the field and/or licensure through continuing education, participation in professional organizations or a combination of both.
Schedule requirements: Weekend and Holiday rotation required. Schedule may vary based on department needs.
Travel requirements: N/A
· Reports to the Executive Chief
· Not responsible for supervising the work of others. May direct the work of others.
As part of the Guest Services/Food Services team, this position:
· Creates attractive daily menu items, accommodating diet restrictions, allergies, and ethnic preferences.
o Prepares food from recipes (scratch-cooking), adjusting recipes to meet volume requirements.
o Creates patient and retail specials to provide our customers with attractive options.
o Accommodates customer requests within nutrition guidelines.
o Anticipates the needs of the customers and operations.
· Orchestrates the flow of the food preparation operations, timing food preparation to meet patient nutrition plans, retail and catering needs. Plans and prepares for the next shift.
· Adjusts volume according to census, retail projections and events to minimize waste and ensure freshness.
· Creates opportunities to utilize left-overs to minimize waste while maintaining the highest quality standards.
· Maintains a clean work area and fulfills daily/monthly cleaning assignments to ensure compliance with high sanitation standards.
· Conducts and documents daily HACCP checks, ensuring food preparation and storage complies with food safety standards.
· Provides input and recommendations toward the ordering process to ensure adequate inventory for menus.
DEPARTMENT SPECIFIC JOB FUNCTIONS:
May oversee production of Meals on Wheels.
· Provides back up to the Baker functions
Per Diem, as needed by department.
Beth Israel Lahey Health is an integrated system providing patients with better care wherever they are. Care informed by world-class research and education. We are doctors and nurses, technicians and social workers, innovators and educators, and so many others. All with a shared vision for what healthcare can and should be. We are committed to attracting, developing and retaining top talent. We strive to create a diverse and inclusive workplace that reflects the communities in which we work and serve. With a team approach to care, we encourage learning and growth at all levels and offer competitive salaries and benefits.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.