Welcome to Lahey Hospital & Medical Center, part of Beth Israel Lahey Health. Lahey Hospital & Medical Center is a world-renowned tertiary medical center known for its innovative technology, pioneering medical treatment and leading-edge research. A teaching hospital of Tufts University School of Medicine, the hospital provides quality health care in virtually every specialty and subspecialty, from primary care to cancer diagnosis and treatment to kidney and liver transplantation. It is a national leader in a number of health care areas, including stroke, weight management and lung screenings, among many others. Lahey also helps to advance medicine through research and the education of tomorrow's health care leaders.
About the Job
The Medical Assistant performs duties related to patient care and patient flow. Ensures exam rooms are clean and well stocked, prepares patients for exams and assists providers, mid levels and nurses with procedures. In addition performs a variety of other duties such as cleaning, sterilizing and maintaining clinical/surgical equipment and clerical duties to insure quality patient care is provided.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities including but not limited to:
- Monitor patient flow and escort patients to exam rooms for all providers.
- Ensures that all necessary information and materials (medical record including problem lists, diagnostic test results, referral authorization, etc.) are present for clinician prior to the patient visit.
- Receives and communicates information through various processes, including (but not limited to) use of computers, Intranet, e-mail, hospital telephone system, fax, and documentation in patient’s medical record.
- Ensures that all appropriate equipment is maintained in good working order and that adequate supplies are available for patient procedure/visit. Ensure appropriate levels of supplies and inventory for departmental needs by utilizing the appropriate requisitions procedures while understanding the importance of cost containment.
- Verifies the completeness of the encounter form and follows department standards for the billing process.
- Prepare exam rooms by monitoring and replenishing supplies and performing routine housekeeping; clean and disinfect surgical instruments using autoclave equipment.
- Take patient vitals, patient histories and record in patient charts or on appropriate forms. Administer patient care as delegated by supervising physician or other licensed professional. ,
- Performs proper pre- visit procedures under direction of the physician or other health care provider prior to the patient’s visit. (Suture/staple removal/dressing removal/ cast removal).
- Organizes and prioritizes daily work tasks to ensure the physicians schedule runs smoothly and all patient needs are met.
- Utilizes standard precautions in room preparation and while assisting with procedures/exams.
- Performs appropriate departmental screening, testing and specimen collection (including labeling and processing).
- Provides and reviews appropriate instructions to patients regarding any diagnostic test and procedure. Provides patient with written educational material, including diagnostic preparations, as necessary. Document that patient instructions were given, as well as patient’s response.
- Maintains confidentiality and patient rights in interactions with the patient/family and other health care workers
- Respects the values (religious/spiritual, ethnic, cultural) of the patient and family
- Assists in performing departmental procedures with the appropriate provider.
- Communicates all appropriate information prior to break, lunch or change or shift, to necessary Personnel to ensure continuity of care.
- Documents all pertinent information in patient medical record as required.
- Is alert to Quality Assurance and CQI issues as well as to unsafe working conditions. Notifies manager of concerns. Participates in unit based QI activities and is familiar with unit measurement data.
- Prepare patients for procedures and assist providers, nurses or medical staff with procedures (i.e.urodynamic studies, cystoscopies, sigmoidoscopies, spirometries, pelvic examinations, dressing changes) as delagated by physician.
- Administer Leuprolide (Lupron ®) intramuscularly.
- Insert straight catheters and instruct patients on self catheterization.
- Prepare the patient for BCG for installation by physicians.
- Perform housekeeping, handle hazardous waste and keep exam rooms and crash cart fully stocked. Sterilize instruments and equipment using disinfecting solution or autoclaving machine. Maintain inventory or medical supplies and medications and order medical supplies as authorized by Manager, Supervisor or Site Coordinator.
- Keep medication sample closet organized and maintain locked status at all times as assigned by Site Manager, Supervisor or Site Coordinator. Replenish medication samples and purge outdated medications.
- Call prescriptions to pharmacy. Utilizes PocketScripts for prescription refills within established guidelines y
- Use computerized system to schedule x-ray, mammography or laboratory appointments.
- Advise providers of schedule changes or add-ons.
- Provide back-up coverage for the front office staff, including booking appointments, phone coverage and receptionist duties.
- Maintains core competencies. Participates in education programs
- Incorporates Lahey Clinic Guiding Principles , Mission Statement and Goals into daily activities.
- Complies with all Lahey Clinic Policies.
- Complies with behavioral expectations of the department and Lahey Clinic.
- Maintains courteous and effective interactions with colleagues and patients.
- Demonstrates an understanding of the job description, performance expectations, and competency assessment.
- Demonstrates a commitment toward meeting and exceeding the needs of our customers and consistently adheres to Customer Service standards.
- Participates in departmental and/or interdepartmental quality improvement activities.
- Participates in and successfully completes Mandatory Education.
- Performs all other duties as needed or directed to meet the needs of the department.
Associates degree in Medical Assisting from an accredited program
Licensure, Certification, Registration:
Current BLS certification from Americal Heart Association Required
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities:
Including but not limited to:
Knowledge of medical terminology anatomy and physiology, patient preparation
Ability to assist the physician in various specialized procedures
Knowledge of and ability to collect basic Vital signs
Ability to conduct basic patient examinations, as well as P & H
Knowledge and ability to conduct patient education
Ability to collect and process patient specimens;
Ability to make sound decisions under pressure and respond to emergency situations.
Should be detail oriented organized with strong communication skills.
DAYS / 40 HOURS / BEVERLY, MA
Beth Israel Lahey Health is an integrated system providing patients with better care wherever they are. Care informed by world-class research and education. We are doctors and nurses, technicians and social workers, innovators and educators, and so many others. All with a shared vision for what healthcare can and should be. We are committed to attracting, developing and retaining top talent. We strive to create a diverse and inclusive workplace that reflects the communities in which we work and serve. With a team approach to care, we encourage learning and growth at all levels and offer competitive salaries and benefits.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.