Location: Burlington, MA
Job ID: 158983-1A
Date Posted: Dec 9, 2019
Category: Non Physician Provider
Welcome to Lahey Hospital & Medical Center, part of Beth Israel Lahey Health. Lahey Hospital & Medical Center is a world-renowned tertiary medical center known for its innovative technology, pioneering medical treatment and leading-edge research. A teaching hospital of Tufts University School of Medicine, the hospital provides quality health care in virtually every specialty and subspecialty, from primary care to cancer diagnosis and treatment to kidney and liver transplantation. It is a national leader in a number of health care areas, including stroke, weight management and lung screenings, among many others. Lahey also helps to advance medicine through research and the education of tomorrow's health care leaders.
About the Job
Under the general direction of gastroenterologists staffing the Inflammatory Bowel Disease Center, the nurse practitioner will be responsible for coordinating and providing patient care, in addition to assessing acute and chronic patient illnesses, planning and providing follow-up longitudinal treatment programs, and seeking consultation or referral as necessary.
1. Develop a comprehensive health plan for the treatment of inflammatory bowel disease for patients and families, including social and emotional needs, as well as medical management.
2. Perform health examinations through complete medical histories and physical examinations. Differentiate normal results from abnormal findings.
3. Identify and manage specified acute illness and disease flares.
4. Monitor and manage aspects of chronic disease including medication management, vaccination history, and blood work monitoring.
5. Assist in the communication and education of patients on risks and benefits of medical therapies for inflammatory bowel disease.
6. Respond to and assist in the treatment of patients requiring emergency care.
7. Write prescriptions, place medical orders, administer injections and immunizations under established guidelines.
8. Utilize the electronic medical record (EMR) in all aspects of patient care.
9. Perform telephone triage and evaluation of patient illnesses, problems and concerns.
10. Consult with collaborating physician on cases of concern.
11. Assist with completion and/or review of completed forms, i.e. office visit and lab encounter forms, insurance and disability/worker compensation forms and provide necessary signatures. Provide direction to medical record staff regarding completion of forms and APS release.
12. Teach and counsel patients in preventative health care, i.e. basic nutrition, specialized diets, smoking, exercise, sexuality, etc.
13. Assist discharged hospital patients and family members responsible for providing home patient care to coordinate transitions from hospitalization to outpatient treatment.
14. Communicate relevant patient data via dictation and/or provide complete written documentation in the medical record including summaries of examinations, office visits, progress notes, telephone conversations, procedures and tests, in a timely manner. Maintains patient confidentiality.
15. Adhere to patient care standards as defined by collaborating physician and Medical Director.
16. Attend regularly scheduled provider meetings and serve on committees in order to develop and assist with planning, developing, implementing and monitoring new or revised clinical programs within the Inflammatory Bowel Disease Center.
17. Participate in ongoing educational programs for Nurse Practitioners; maintain professional development through organizational and community resources, conferences, workshops, etc.; maintain BCLS certification.
18. Maintain collaborative working relationships with all levels of staff.
19. Incorporate Lahey Clinic Guiding Principles, Mission Statement and Goals into daily activities.
20. Comply with all Lahey Clinic Policies.
21. Comply with behavioral expectations of the department and Lahey Clinic.
22. Maintain courteous and effective interactions with colleagues and patients.
23. Demonstrate an understanding of the job description, performance expectations, and competency assessment.
24. Demonstrate a commitment toward meeting and exceeding the needs of our customers and consistently adhere to Customer Service standards.
25. Participate in departmental and/or interdepartmental quality improvement activities.
26. Participate in and successfully complete Mandatory Education.
27. Perform all other duties as needed or directed to meet the needs of the department.
Licensure, Certification, Registration: Eligibility for or current Nurse Practitioner license in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Must maintain BLS certification through American Heart Association.
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities: Perform thorough, detailed history and physical examinations of patients with formulation of longitudinal treatment plans. Develop an extensive knowledge of the treatment options and strategies to care for patients with inflammatory bowel disease.
Experience: No experience beyond program clinical practicum required.