Location: Woburn, MA
Job ID: 158627-1A
Date Posted: Dec 6, 2019
Welcome to Winchester Hospital, part of Beth Israel Lahey Health. Winchester Hospital was the first hospital in Massachusetts to earn Magnet recognition, the American Nurses Association’s highest honor for nursing excellence, three times. It has since received the recognition a fourth time. As the northwest suburban Boston area’s leading provider of comprehensive health care services, the 229-bed facility provides care in general, bariatric and vascular surgery, orthopedics, pediatrics, cardiology, pulmonary medicine, oncology, gastroenterology, rehabilitation, radiation oncology, pain management, obstetrics/gynecology and a Level IIB Special Care Nursery.
About the Job
GENERAL SUMMARY: Under the general supervision of the Director of Emergency Services and the Associate Director of Imaging, the Nurse Coordinator performs dual roles of providing direct patient care and the supervision of nursing personnel. In the delivery of patient care, the process includes assessment of patient’s condition, the performance of treatments, the observance of patient progress, the recording of responses and reactions to intervention, and the evaluation of therapies for clinical outcomes. In the supervising role, the nurse coordinator is responsible for the supervision of nursing personnel, clinical associates, and administrative positions, and functions independently as a resource person collaborating with the multidisciplinary team. The nurse coordinator participates in evaluating clinical performance of nursing peers, in the disciplinary action in the clinical hiring and the terminating of personnel. Practices in accordance with Winchester Hospital’s policies and procedures and the scope of practice for Registered Nurses in Massachusetts.
1. Exemplifies Winchester Hospital’s values and PROMISE standards. Commits to making every encounter with our patients, patients’ family, co-workers, physicians and other customers the best that it can be.
2. Complies with all Winchester Hospital policies and the Code of Business Conduct. Maintains current license, life support certification, and tuberculosis testing. Takes responsibility for own safety as well as the safety of patients, patients’ family, co-workers, physicians and other customers.
3. Oversees and directs activities of nursing staff, clinical associates and administrative positions to ensure provision of effective and safe patient case according to established standards. Ensures unit is staffed appropriately. Interviews, hires, orients, coaches, trains, and evaluates the performance of and when necessary, disciplines staff.
4. Utilizes the nursing process to provide all levels of patient/family care including the psychosocial support needed and ensures that psychological support services are coordinated. The nursing coordinator acts as a resource person for staff, patients and family.
5. Ensures patients right to privacy and confidentiality.
6. Collaborates with clinical and educational resources to ensure staff competence. Organizes programs for staff education. Utilizes the results of evidence-based research to improve clinical outcomes.
7. Assists physician in the provision of and participation in Peripheral Vascular Disease Programs.
8. Participates in Quality Assurance data collection and monitoring. Performs his/her job in accordance with the Radiology Performance Improvement Program. Oversees the TJC survey process for IR department.
9. Ensures the maintenance of physical and emotional resources for patient/family within the community. Communicates with other health care team members to resolve operational problems, patient satisfaction and clinical initiatives.
10. Applies the technical understanding and expertise necessary to maintain functionality of the computer system used in the Interventional Radiology department. Provides training and written procedures/policies when needed to system users. In collaboration with the Lead Special Procedure Technologist, acts as a liaison regarding IR computer system needs and priorities for the department.
11. Maintains and updates department’s policies and procedures.
12. Organizes angio-team and Nursing staff meetings regularly and as needed. Monitors department’s patient and employee satisfaction levels and as necessary develops action plans to correct identified issues.
13. Takes call as needed.
14. Participates in the following:
Mandatory training requirements as per hospital policy
Continuing education/inservices to enhance knowledge(ARNA Conference)
Performance improvement initiatives
Orientation of new staff, students, and/or volunteers
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
1. Registered Nurse.
2. BSN degree required. Candidates actively pursing a BSN will be considered by exception.
3. MSN degree preferred.
4. At least two (2) years clinical experience relevant to the unit’s population.
5. Active membership in professional and leadership organization preferred.
6. Effective communication skills and excellent customer service and interpersonal skills required.
7. Knowledge of safety, infection control and quality control standards required.
8. At least two (2) years management experience preferred. Specialty certification preferred.
LICENSE, CERTIFICATION REQUIRED: Current State of Massachusetts Registered Nurse license. Certified Radiology Nurse preferred.
LIFE SUPPORT CERTIFICATION REQUIRED: Advanced Cardiac Life Support
AGE SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS: Neonates, Children, Adolescent, Adult, Geriatric
PHYSICAL, MENTAL AND VISUAL REQUIREMENTS:
1. Ability to stand for extended periods of time.
2. Ability to perform multiple tasks and prioritize work.
3. Ability to communicate orally and in writing in the medical record.
4. Ability to use computer.
5. Ability to proofread documents and check for accuracy.
6. Able to supervise individuals and delegate responsibility, as well as collaborate with health care team to ensure health care standards are met.
OSHA EXPOSURE: Job involves possible exposure to blood, body fluids, or tissues. Requires working in an area in which there is exposure to radiation.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP AND SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY:
1. Reports directly to the Director of Emergency Services and a dotted line report to the Associate Director of Imaging.
2. Responsible for supervising the work of others.
Full Time, 40 hours.
Beth Israel Lahey Health is an integrated system providing patients with better care wherever they are. Care informed by world-class research and education. We are doctors and nurses, technicians and social workers, innovators and educators, and so many others. All with a shared vision for what healthcare can and should be. We are committed to attracting, developing and retaining top talent. We strive to create a diverse and inclusive workplace that reflects the communities in which we work and serve. With a team approach to care, we encourage learning and growth at all levels and offer competitive salaries and benefits.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.