Location: Winchester, MA
Job ID: 158435-1A
Date Posted: Nov 12, 2019
Welcome to Winchester Hospital, part of Beth Israel Lahey Health. Winchester Hospital was the first hospital in Massachusetts to earn Magnet recognition, the American Nurses Association’s highest honor for nursing excellence, three times. It has since received the recognition a fourth time. As the northwest suburban Boston area’s leading provider of comprehensive health care services, the 229-bed facility provides care in general, bariatric and vascular surgery, orthopedics, pediatrics, cardiology, pulmonary medicine, oncology, gastroenterology, rehabilitation, radiation oncology, pain management, obstetrics/gynecology and a Level IIB Special Care Nursery.
About the Job
Contributes to the Hospital’s mission by providing support to the Health Information Management Department and by providing release of information and Birth Registry services. This position will have an impact on patients and other health information management customers by providing accurate and complete records in a timely manner and making every encounter with our patients, patients’ family, co-workers, physicians and other customers the best that it can be.
Required: High School Diploma required
· Knowledge of medical terminology.
· Knowledge of release of information according to federal and state guidelines, regulations and statutes concerning confidentiality and release of information.
· Excellent communication and customer service skills.
· At least two years medical records experience.
· Familiarity with use of microfilm/fiche machine
· At least two years medical record experience
· Knowledge of state guidelines related to Birth Certificates
· Notary Public
· For safety and quality reasons, must be able to read, write and communicate effectively in English with patients, visitors and fellow members of the hospital team.
LIFE SUPPORT CERTIFICATION REQUIRED: N/A
POPULATION SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS: N/A
OTHER JOB REQUIREMENTS:
On-call Requirement: N/A
· Business operation hours.
· Major holidays not required.
· Weekend coverage rotation required for Birth Registry.
Travel Requirements: Minimal and local travel may be required
· Reports to the Director of Health Information Management and Privacy Officer.
· Not responsible for supervising the work of others.
As part of the Health Information Management team (HIM), the Release of Information (Birth Registrar) position:
· Generates birth certificates and obtains required signatures.
· Submits the Birth Certificate electronically to the Town of Winchester and the Commonwealth of Massachusetts Registry of Vital Records and Statistics.
· Faxes required paperwork to the Registry of Vital Records and Statistics.
· Collaborates with the Town Clerk office at Winchester Town Hall regarding any discrepancies on the Birth Certificate.
· Submits correction letter of the Birth Certificates to the Town of Winchester upon request.
· Collaborates with parent(s) and staff on the mother baby unit to ensure accurate and complete paperwork.
· Coordinates directly with Lahey Legal,the patient’s attorney the Nurse Manager and Vital Statistics in the event of surrogacy for the completion of the Birth Certificate
· Reviews the mother and baby’s medical records in Epic to obtain required data for birth certificate completion.
· Inputs birth certificate parent and hospital worksheet data into the computerized birth registry database, Vitals Information Partnership (VIP).
· Provides a parent letter to parents, prior to their discharge.
· Maintains worksheets and reports for designated time frame.
· Reviews, and corrects any inaccuracies in the VIP database.
· Acts as the liaison between the Commonwealth of Massachusetts Registry of Vital Records and Statistics and Winchester Hospital regarding important. communications related to the Birth Certificate process.
· Reviews and corrects the data quality reports provided by the VIP database system. Reviews the patient’s medical record in Epic to obtain any missing or incorrect data
· Responds to request from parent(s)related to birth certificates and Commonwealth of Massachusetts Registry of Vital Records.
· Keeps abreast of the legal requirements in accordance with the MA State Law related to parentage pertaining to completion of the Birth Certificate.
· Notarizes required documents related to parentage.
· Updates the babies name in Epic to reflect the name on the Birth Certificate.
· Attends meetings sponsored by the Department of Public Health related to Birth Certificates.
Every Other Weekend, Sunday's 8 hours, 8am-4:30pm
Beth Israel Lahey Health is an integrated system providing patients with better care wherever they are. Care informed by world-class research and education. We are doctors and nurses, technicians and social workers, innovators and educators, and so many others. All with a shared vision for what healthcare can and should be. We are committed to attracting, developing and retaining top talent. We strive to create a diverse and inclusive workplace that reflects the communities in which we work and serve. With a team approach to care, we encourage learning and growth at all levels and offer competitive salaries and benefits.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.