Location: Winchester, MA
Job ID: 157390-1A
Date Posted: Oct 2, 2019
Winchester Hospital is a leading community hospital north of Boston. The hospital offers a full range of medical services including maternity care and a Level IIB Special Care Nursery. Since 1912, Winchester Hospital has been a trusted pillar of the community and is recognized for outstanding quality and high satisfaction scores. In 2003, we became the first community hospital in Massachusetts to achieve Magnet status - the industry’s gold standard for nursing excellence. We were re-accredited for the 4th time in 2018. Our mission To Care. To Heal. To Excel. In Service to Our Community is achieved through streamlined, coordinated and comprehensive high-quality, compassionate care close to home.
About the Job
Required: Bachelor of Science in Pharmacy from an accredited school of pharmacy
Preferred: Doctor in pharmacy from an accredited school of pharmacy
Preferred: At least 1 year in an institutional setting
Strong computer skills required
For safety and quality reasons, must be able to read, write and communicate effectively in English with patients, visitors and fellow members of the hospital team
Preferred: Ability to input data and maintain the system that are utilized to execute medication orders
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS, CERTIFICATIONS:
Required: Valid licensure as a pharmacist in the State of Massachusetts. Pharmacist must not have infractions pending against held licensures or license eligible with license obtained within six months of employment
POPULATION SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS: Neonate, Infant, Children, Adolescent, Adult, Geriatric
OTHER JOB REQUIREMENTS:
Professional Commitment Requirements: Keep abreast of developments in the field and/or licensure through continuing education, participation in professional organizations or a combination of both
On-call: On-call rotation required
Schedule requirements: Rotation may be required to cover all shifts and holidays
Travel requirements: N/A
As part of the Pharmacy team, the Inpatient Pharmacist:
· Dispenses medication by receiving, interpreting and accurately dispensing medications for both inpatient and outpatient; monitors for correct dosage, drug interactions, allergies and the appropriateness of therapy while incorporating the special needs for patient age and patient types.
· Promotes communication, collaboration and problem-solving with members of the healthcare team, patients and/or family members/significant others.
· Demonstrates clinical expertise in their assigned area and fosters a climate of clinical and professional excellence.
· Consults with physician to discuss therapy when in need of clarification to ensure appropriate therapy or concerning alternative therapy when non-formulary or target drugs are prescribed.
· Maintains patient’s medication records.
· Processes STAT medication orders completely in a timely manner.
· Prepares or oversees the preparation of all intravenous fluids, including potential nutrition solutions, chemotherapy, intravenous solutions, intravenous piggybacks and irrigation solutions observing standards of aseptic technique.
· Ensures products are labeled correctly.
· Prepares and dispenses all controlled substances accurately while maintaining all appropriate records according to state and federal rules and regulations.
· Inputs dispensing data into Meditech Pharmacy module and Pyxis distribution system.
· Directs and oversees the work of pharmacy techs, auditing their work and verifying they are operating within their scope of practice. Precepts and mentors pharmacist students.
· Performs all required documentation accurately, legibly and timely.
· Covers other departments, including Employee Pharmacy and Oncology, as needed based on staffing and business needs.
40 hours, Full Time
The Lahey Model of Care—right care, right time, right place—is exactly what patients, providers and payers need and deserve. Identifying and delivering on this convergence of interests has positioned Lahey Health for further growth. Our model ensures care is highly coordinated and locally delivered, with lower costs and exceptional quality.
Lahey Health is a robust, regional system including a teaching hospital, community hospitals, primary care providers, specialists, behavioral and home health services, skilled nursing and rehabilitation facilities, and senior care resources throughout northeastern Massachusetts and southern New Hampshire. The system has a global presence with programs in Canada, Jordan and Bermuda.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.